You'll never guess what happened at WIC! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikel1979
I think every week I tell my dh that I would rather get fruit. We don't even use much of the juice.
We have at least a dozen cans of juice (the concentrate) in our pantry- I won't give it to dd and I can't stand the stuff... I'd love fresh fruit instead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 01:15 PM

:LOL We have SOOOO much juice at our house! I hardly ever make it though and when I do, I'm the only one that drinks it for the most part. I give AJ some sometimes. I think WIC needs to change to help those w/ allergies more. The only person in my house who can have dairy of any kind is DH and do you really think he needs 9 gallons of milk and like 3lbs of cheese a month?! For a while AJ couldn't have the eggs either so we barely used anything from our checks and no one seemed to care. No one offered alternatives for us (soy isn't an option either) or even ways to make sure we were getting all the nutrients we needed.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 04-28-2005, 03:33 PM

One mama i talked to said she took her dd in at 1 year for recert and the nutrisanalist didnt' know how/what to could her breast milk intake at... how sad is that, our wic start cuting juice from i think 6 containers to 4 per person. but we still have way to much juice b/c all i give the kids are 1/2 water 1/2 juice and only 1 time a day but i drink a lot of juice since i don't like milk much. but i really wish we lived in an area that got thoes farmers market checks thoes sound so neat. i love fresh stuff!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryPixie83
We have at least a dozen cans of juice (the concentrate) in our pantry- I won't give it to dd and I can't stand the stuff... I'd love fresh fruit instead!
lol, I just donated like 30 cans of the stuff to dd's preschool to be given to parents who will use the stuff since we dont drink the brand they make us get now. Its terrible but I just use WIC for the free Tillamock cheese : Donate everything else. Used to use the eggs but I cant bring myself to support factory farming anymore so started buying organic free range ones at Trader Joes for pretty cheap. Dont suppose anyone can reccomend a good brand of extra sharp chedder cheese that supports family farming?

Seriously?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM

At dd's 4 month appt my dr said to give cerel enriched w/iron- had to buy the commercial stuff of course

She is 8 months and never had the crap
Old 04-29-2005, 04:13 PM

We drink the milk and juice like crazy!!! Actually DH drinks most of the juice and I drink most (if not all) of the milk. But we were raised differently. At my house we drank milk with our meals. We didn't do Kool-Aid or juice or soda or anything. HIs family only drank juices and Kool-Aids and crap like that. I love the amount of dairy we get from WIC! The thing we could use less of is peanut butter. I have three or four jars of it in my pantry. I wish WIC could tailor checks to each family. That would be great!

My old WIC office was weird about bfing. Everytime I saw the nutrionist (who constantly told me I was too small for how far long I was) would ask if I was going to bf and never would she mark down my answer. I saw her a few times and each time I got this long lecture about how I was doing the right thing la de da de da. She never signed me up for the bf class she kept talking about. I finally did cause my MIL (who works in the health portion of the WIC office) reminded the lady. The WIC office here is pretty good about bfing. They have a paper border around the ceiling in the waiting room full of bfing facts. The counselor for bfing is still nursing her 14 month old and advocated co-sleeping. She told everyone the WHO recommendations as well as the AAP ones. She was VERY bfing and VERY extended bfing. It was nice to see that.

On the dumb side of her though, she was passing out these cards you would put in the crib thingy they put babies in when you have a hospital birth. I declined as that's not what we are doing and she gave me the dirtiest look and just kind of ignored me from then on out. Oh well!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:07 PM

My WIC office is very pro-bf. And very knowledgable, too. THey think it's great that I'm nursing through my pregnancy and keep encouraging me to not give up and tell me it won't be as irritating for ds to nurse one the new baby is here and my milk is in again (yes, they are encouraging me to tandem nurse).

We don't drink milk or juice. Or eggs. I'm allergic to milk and eggs. Dh is lactose intolerant and ds1 has decided cow's milk is disgusting once he found out where it came from. So no milk. They eat cheese, but since i can't eat stuff cooked w/ eggs, we rarewly use them. I make omelets for dh and ds1 sometimes.

I make the juice into jelly.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:14 AM

My WIC office is supportive of nursing through pregnancy, too! I was worried I would get flack for that, especially since Nik is 18 months old now. But they were really happy I am still BFing even though I'm almost 25 weeks pregnant. Thankfully not all WIC offices are full of ignorant jack*sses!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 04-30-2005, 06:42 PM

I know right about the time my son was born that the WHO changed their advice to 6 mos of age before starting solids. (http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html)

Unfortunately I didn't know that and under my pedi's advice started my DS on solids. What a mistake. It was one allergic food after the othe, much of it resolved in time. He was allergic to dairy and eggs and still is however.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 PM

That sounds like a really disgusting combination. Blech! I would so looooove if WIC gave less dairy and more produce. My younger two have dairy allergy and even with Eddie and Clint using dairy(and I limit Eds dairy) it still does not get used up. So I just quit collecting the checks.

Does anyone here get to choose what they get? There were times I had too much juice and I didn't get it. The people at the store back home never mentioned it bieng a problem and WIC never said anything. But when I moved here and tried to use my WIC check the first time, they said I HAD to get everything on the check. Another reason I quit getting it.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM

when we were on WIC, we were told it was kinda like "use it or lose it" .. you didn't have to get everything on the check if you didn't want to- you could just get the one or two things on the check you needed. We always got everything on each check, though..if we didn't need something, we could always find a friend who could use the juice or whatever.

We stopped using WIC because it seemed like there were so many blood tests that they required, just months apart- more than even ds's pediatrician requested. I hated taking DS to the lab to get blood drawn.. he would fight and scream and we would have to hold him down.. it was absolute torture . It just wasn't worth it. DS is super healthy and eats a wide variety of healthy foods, it just seemed unnecessary to do it so often.
I also hate feeling like I have to answer to somebody, ya know? Some of the ppl at our WIC office were so patronizing.. I know they see a lot of deadbeat parents, but it was just insulting.
I was thinking about recertifying, but does anyone know how often they actually require the lab tests? It was a while ago that we were on it..

thanks,
eileen, mama to
colin 2.19.02
ava 11.14.04

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 PM

You can refuse to take their blood tests if you want to. They can't legally deny you for that. They told me that they needed my and my kids iron levels in order to recertify me but I just told them no that I think it is to traumatic for my kids plus I make sure they are receiving enough iron in their diets. The lady was like whatever. Some will put up a fight but they cannot legally force a medical procedure on you in order to recieve services because that would be a liability. I do however check my kids iron levels each year or so at the ped's office up until age four, and if WIC really gives me a hard time this time I will just bring in the lab results for those blood tests.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 04-30-2005, 10:30 PM

The iron checks can be a good thing though, both times I nearly blew off the checks but decided to do them anyway and found out dd was seriously anemic both times and I was surprised. Matter of fact I nearly blew it off this month but had it done as an after thought since we were already at the Dr's and dd's iron was 10.2 even though she gets plenty through her diet. She has a form of pernicious anemia that's tied to her stomach issues but if it hadn't been for WIC we wouldn't had found out she was anemic either time and she's symptomatic right now and I didn't even catch it. Started therapy 2 days ago and she's already showing great improvement and I'm no longer pulling my hair out with her bad attitude. Its just a finger stick not an actual blood draw and people dont realize it but anemia can be serious and more then just being a little pale (my dd was never pale from anemia) or tired (she's hyper in fact).

Seriously?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:47 AM

I never get everything on our checks considering DH is the only one that can drink milk and no one cares. I do give the cheese to MIL though and I've been trying to eat the eggs myself. The lady at WIC actually told me just to get it all and give away what we don't need! I've been on WIC since right before AJ was born. I don't remember then needing blood from me, but they might've checked my iron once when I was nursing AJ? I do know they tested his iron at 12 mos, but that's been it. We don't vax and it's never been an issue so I'm sure I could just skip the blood tests if needed. They're not going to give us anything extra for low iron anyways so what's the point? We see the ped for that stuff anyways.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 PM

I think it was, like others said, an issue about possible anemia. Although, it sounds like complete ignorance on their part to suggest anything that might lead to weaning to try and help a problem you don't even know if the child has or not. FYI, if for any reason you (or anyone reading this) would find that your child is anemic, BE VERY CAREFUL if you are told to use any iron drops. There are other ways to do this and ds ended up in the ER from those da** drops. He had to have a barium enema 'cause they they thought he had intussuception. I thought I was gonna kill someone, especially since I kept telling them I had a bad feeling about the whole thing. Last time I don't listen to my gut feeling, let me tell ya.

The other thing I learned in ds's whole anemia issue is that in small children and especially babies, frequent blood draws can also potentially lead to anemia.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
The other thing I learned in ds's whole anemia issue is that in small children and especially babies, frequent blood draws can also potentially lead to anemia.
I dont think finger sticks 2x a year are going to cause anemia and yes some some kids to react to various brands of iron. My dd reacted severely to all of them until we found a brand at the health food store she tolerates well without any problems but when your kid has an iron level of 8 and falling fast you start trying drops.

Seriously?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori
I dont think finger sticks 2x a year are going to cause anemia and yes some some kids to react to various brands of iron. My dd reacted severely to all of them until we found a brand at the health food store she tolerates well without any problems but when your kid has an iron level of 8 and falling fast you start trying drops.
I was told this from various sources and I did say draws, NOT pricks. Perhaps different states do things differently. I have a friend who's child is on WIC and he has to have his iron checked monthly, not twice a year. I didn't tell anyone not to do anything. I just posted that info in hopes that people will just make sure that they are informed in whatever they do or don't do. Not that it matters, but my son's level was down to 7.5 and there was no reason that anyone could pin point for the whole ordeal that lasted many, many months and repeated trips to Children's Hospital. I have been there, done that.

User Tag List