Dirty, dirty pump, how to clean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I've never posted on here before but thought someone might have an idea. I just got my breastpump back yesterday from a friend who had been using it, and who also apparently never cleaned it. It's just a standard Medela, and all the parts were all stuck together with corroded sour milk. I know she weaned at least 6 mos ago, so I'm assuming it's been on there that long. I boiled it for an hour, so now at least I can bring myself to touch it and the smell is gone, but do I have any hope of actually getting the yucky filmy crust off of it? Or should I replace all that stuff? I hate to, because I probably won't use it all that often.

Any ideas?

Mommy to kids

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 PM

Dishwasher, Bottle brush, washing machine in a lingerie bag?

EEEEW. I wouldn't be loaning HER anything else I cared about!!! Poor babe that drank the crusty milk.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 PM

nak/. medela doesn't recommend sharing breastpumps, as there is the remote chance of cross-contamination.

i would probably replace everything i possibly could. the parts kit is like less than $50. the peace of mind would be worth it for me. plus all the tubing is nearly impossible to get dry again, which makes it an ideal breeding ground for mold and bacteria.

jmo!
Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 AM

Ok, what kind of Medela pump is it? The Pump in Style (double electric that usually comes in a black carry bag or backpack), the Mini Electric (small yellow model that usually only pumps one breast but some models will double pump) or the Harmony (manual single pump) are all single user pumps designed to be used only by one person. The Lactina (big, blue hospital grade common as a rental), and the Classic (rarely leaves the hospital) are designed to be used by multiple users who each buy their own kit--breast shields, bottles, valves, tubing, piston assembly.

Gardenmommy is right, sharing of single user breastpumps is not recommended. Even after boiling yeast and some resistant strains of staph or other bacteria can remain in the plastic. That said, many of us do share pumps and parts without problems. Most of the diseases that are mentioned in the breastpump sharing warnings are body fluid born and not likely to survive a long time on a pump--AIDS, hepatitis, Cytomeglavirus.

The electric single user pumps--PIS and Mini Electric--I would only share with someone I knew very well and trusted. Someone I trusted enough to breastfeed my baby. Even though you may not be able to see it, milk solids can get into the motors of those pumps and contaminate milk across users. I have shared a Harmony and an Avent Isis because they can be fully disassmbled and sanitized, but I don't know if I would do it again. I am more cautious now that I know yeast and staph can lurk in the plastic even after sanitzing. Since it's clear that your friend isn't clean and didn't take care of the pump, I'd be even more cautious about sharing with her. In your situation, I think I'd ask her to replace the pump. Even if she won't, I'd probably discard the pump in its entirety. If I were only going to be pumping occasionally, I'd buy a Medela Harmony manual (about $40) and consider my money well spent for the peace of mind.

All that said, to answer your original question, the best way to get the stuff off is probably to wash the parts by hand in the hottest water you can stand with dish detergent and a whopping dose of white vinegar. Let everything soak for a bit then use a bottle brush and rinse well.

Then soak everything in a 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water solution to sanitize it.

If the pump has tubing after washing and soaking, you take the tubing outside and swing it around your head really, really fast like you're about to throw a lasso and that will help get most of the moisture out of the tubes then hang them to dry or connect them to the pump and turn the pump on until they are dry.

Good luck,
Sarah
Old 05-05-2005, 12:56 PM

You know, I bet your friend forgot to wash the pump parts the last time she used it and would be horrified to find out this happened. This doesn't make it okay that she returned your pump in such a state, but it may make it a little bit less annoying.

I don't think I would ask her to replace it, since it's not her fault this pump was not designed to be used by multiple users.

I think I would either buy a new tubing kit as a pp suggested and clean the other exposed parts I could get to as well as I could, or I would go out and buy an Avent Isis hand pump. I thought this was a good pump, and if you aren't needing to pump on a regular basis, I bet the Avent Isis would be fine.

I'm sorry this happened!

edit: Just read your siggy and see that your a semi-SAHM. You know if you're needing to pump at work, you might not find the Avent sufficient since you can only pump one breast at a time.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:16 PM

I had an Isis with my first and loved it, but I like the Medela Harmony better. It's easier to clean, and if you need a larger sized breast shield, you can get one. I had to virtually ep for my second, and my nipples got to large for the Isis; I couldn't use it without extreme pain, then it quit getting the milk out. My nipple would fill the whole tube and hit the back of the tube when the suction was on.

Sarah

The previous poster is right that the it isn't your friend's fault it is a single user pump; maybe I was a little harsh in my previous post. But I honestly can't imagine packing up a pump and "forgetting" to clean it...
Old 05-06-2005, 06:11 PM

I'd just replace the tubes and horns and stuff. But wait, you might not even need them!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas!

Sarahwebb, I sort of agree with you about asking her to replace it, but I also would feel kind of guilty because I lived with her for 3 years in college and was well aware of how our levels of cleanliness compared and the risk I was taking.

I tried the dishwasher, the vinegar and bottle brush, and denture cleaner and there's still a film on the part where the little bladder attaches to the shield, so I'm going to throw that part out and take my chances with the motor and the rest of the parts. I do want to be able to do both breasts at once, and I just don't have the money to reinvest in a new one right now.

Again, thanks everyone for your advice.

Mommy to kids

Old 05-07-2005, 01:04 AM

I am not visualizing what part you mean, but if it's something that comes off I wonder if you could get a replacement part from Medela. I would probably not get into the whole story about how you lent it to a friend and she gunked it up because then they might just say we don't recommend that you use this pump since it has been used by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natensarah
... there's still a film on the part where the little bladder attaches to the shield, so I'm going to throw that part out and take my chances with the motor and the rest of the parts. I do want to be able to do both breasts at once, and I just don't have the money to reinvest in a new one right now.

Again, thanks everyone for your advice.

User Tag List