yellow spit-up in breastfed baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help....

Cole is 5 months old and has not had ANY solid food EVER but for some reason he spit up a bunch of yellow this morning after nursing. He has a little runny nose that I believe is teething. Nothing else noteably wrong with him.
What is it? Bile? It looks like the color of his poop. Gold-ish.

help!
#2 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 PM

I don't know what it is, but my dd has done that twice. Both times it seemed more like vomit than spit up both in the way it came out (more retching than just- oh there's some spit) and smell. Sorry if that's TMI! Also I think it may have been when I ate something she was sensitve to (she seems slightly sensitive to seafood- probably iodine as we have a strong family sensitivity to iodine)

Sorry I don't have more info- but thought I'd chime in anyway. FWIW after the one spit/puke she seemed all better both times.

-Angela
#3 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM

It sounds like it's snot. They get drainage like we do, but their little tummies can't handle it as well, i guess. And you know, they puke more than we do, so you get to actually see it. Fun! I wouldn't worry too much about it unless he has other tummy-virus type symptoms.
#4 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I called the LC and she didn't seem worried. She said it sounded like bile and told me to do a massage to make him poop so that it has somewhere to go instead uf up. He only poops once a week so she gave me an idea of how to get it going. I"m going to try that. Even if it's just a tummy ache, it's got to feel better with an empty bowel, right?
#5 of 5 Old 05-16-2005, 05:14 PM

Yello is stomach secretions, generally yellow is more concentrated. Bile is Green. If you throw up bile, that is more serious. Bile would half to back up from the small intestine through the pylorus (bottom muscle) of the stomach. In a young baby green throw up would be concerning. Yellow is not generally a big concern.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page