first formula - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 week old baby is having a bottle of formula right now

Yesterday I was diagnosed with cellulitis (somewhat random infection under the skin, from what I understand). I've had it once before but this time it was spreading really fast. In about 24 hours it spread from just a sore spot under my jaw to the entire right side of my body from my scalp to my waist. The urgent care doc gave me two huge shots of antibiotic (Keflex) and I am taking four oral doses a day. It is safe for nursing but I think it might be ruining the taste of my milk :

Baby Maia doesn't want to nurse at all this afternoon/evening even though I know she must be hungry and it has been really hot here today. She hasn't had very many wet diapers today and I think she is a bit dehydrated. My milk smells wrong to me....like pine sol or something. She was screaming inconsolably and we finally gave her some formula. She drank all four ounces and just now fell asleep. I'm not sure what to do....we have been fighting thrush unsucessfully for 6 weeks now, and the Keflex is going to set us way back... and she doesn't want my milk...spits it out in fact. I really don't want to give her formula. I bottle fed my middle child and we are still suffering ill effects from it.

Help!
#2 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 01:07 AM

It sounds like you really have your hands full right now. Do you know any bfing moms in real life that can offer you extra support right now? Would you be willing to ask them to pump some milk for your baby for awhile? I hope you get better soon.

When I had yeast problems the Diflucan pill was great. I had systemic yeast problems. I'm not sure if it's safe to use while bfing but I wanted to put that out there so you can ask about it.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 AM

Oh Brandy!

Keep pumping. Keep your supply up. Even if she is on the formula right now that does not mean it has to be a long term choice. Keep your supply going.

Perhaps a Mom that has pumped this early on can offer some more suggestions but that is what first came to my mind was to keep your supply flowing.

Feel free to pm me if you would like once you are done the antibiotics as I may be able to offer some suggestions for the thrush situation. I have an herbal blend of essential oils that I have used in my practice often to eliminate thrush, particulairly with breastfeeding babes and Moms.

#4 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the hugs

I have taken diflucan-two of them, and it only helped for a few days, also Maia has been on nystatin for four weeks, and we tried gentian violet for four days, which she had an awful reaction to (mouth looked like hamburger, unable to suckle, had to be fed expressed milk through a medicine dropper). I am also taking probiotics and capryllic acid.

I don't really know any nursing mamas well enough to bum some milk off them. I'm going to pump and dump tonight to see if I can get rid of the ickys.
#5 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 02:40 AM

Keep trying, mama. I pumped for a total of 7-8 mos for both of mine, from birth. It's hard but it's the best thing for your supply.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had thursh on and off for 18 months
I finally had a mama send me some GSE grapefruit seed exctract. It works so good. I say get some!
One ounce of distilled water and add 10 to 15 drops of GSE then swab inside babes mouth and on your nipples once an hour, I know it sounds like alot but you only need to apply it during the day. For 3 days. It works so great! In one day I had complete relif, no symtoms after 3 days. I have to tell you I didn't even use it everyhour. And ds hated the taste.I even drank it in juice-yuck it tastes very biter.
I have since been on antibiotics and we didn't get thrush YEAH!!!
((((hugs)))) I had a child on formula and he had many health problems.This isjust a hitch in the road to a great breastfeeding relationship.

What kind of bottles are you using? are you using a pacifier? all these things need to be throw out before treating and after. ( umm.. you may already know some of this stuff.
You can also wash your bras in GSE, I did! I added about 50 drops, to a small load.
I did my dipers in it too. I wanted to wipe out the yeast in everyway.

I think I found the sorsce of the yeast I have fungus on my feet and toes. I am not sure,but I stopped touching my feet so much and if I do touch them I wash my hands- oh and after taking my shoes off too. My dr wants to treat it but I don't know if the meds are safe for nursing?

ANy way Just wanted to let you know it can get better.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#7 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 11:57 AM

I would pump and dump. A friend of the family had something similar happen. She had to pump and dump for nearly a week, then she relatched baby and did both formula and breastfeeding till her supply and baby were back on track. It took a week to ten days to do this -- and then the baby didn't have another bottle again.

Goodluck!
#8 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywine
Thanks for the hugs

I have taken diflucan-two of them, and it only helped for a few days, also Maia has been on nystatin for four weeks, and we tried gentian violet for four days, which she had an awful reaction to (mouth looked like hamburger, unable to suckle, had to be fed expressed milk through a medicine dropper). I am also taking probiotics and capryllic acid.

I don't really know any nursing mamas well enough to bum some milk off them. I'm going to pump and dump tonight to see if I can get rid of the ickys.
A two day dose of diflucan is ONLY for a vaginal yeast infection.

To get rid of my "reoccurant" (read: constant) yeast issues I was on Diflucan for a full 5 weeks. I was told by both my doctor and an LC that you need to take Diflucan for at least two WEEKS to deal w/issues other than a simple vaginal yeast infection. If it (your infection) responds well to the first couple doses that means it is working!!!--- you just need to keep taking it until you are fully w/out symptoms for at least a week. That took me five weeks.

I did this starting with the birth of my DS (I got a yeast infection when DD was small that we could never kick, finally got Diflucan during late pg with DS but couldn't take enough that close to delivery so had a perscription to take as soon as I gave birth).

#9 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 07:04 PM

TiredX2 is correct. You take a loading dose of diflucan--Dr. Newman's book may have the amounts or you could email him. His address is on Kellymom. Then you take a maintenance dose for at least two weeks for thrush. You can take diflucan while nursing.

Sarah
#10 of 15 Old 05-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Hang in there! The advice given to you is great, pump until you can get her back to the breast and still offer the breast a lot. You WILL get there if you are determined, don't give up on her or yourself, you can and will prevail.
#11 of 15 Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Update: Maia is nursing a little better. I am still taking the antibiotics and I can still smell/taste something 'off' with my milk, but it isn't as strong as before. The thrush seems no better or worse. I called the doc office to see about getting another appt about the thrush and they said they aren'te really interested in prescribing both a powerful antifungal and antibiotic at the same time, and that *if* diflucan is going to work, it will work with just two pills. : Shows what they know eh? The thrush doesn't really seem to be bothering us much at this point...I'm not having really painful let downs yet so I might try to hold out and see how we do with probiotics after I'm finished with the anitbiotics. Sheesh.
#12 of 15 Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 AM

I'm so glad she's nursing again!!

I had to take two courses of diflucan a week apart to kill a systemic yeast infection.

#13 of 15 Old 07-09-2005, 10:26 PM

I had systemic yeast bad with my baby and tried everything natural - finally ended up ordering "threelac" probiotics off the net and going on a candida diet (short term as I don't think you can keep it up long while breastfeeding) but I was desperate after 50 rounds of clogged ducts and mastitis. I really felt like the threelac worked. also I agree with the pump pump pump to keep your supply going. My supply decreased because of the breast infections and I've had to supplement with goat's milk formula since 3 1/2 months. Now at 9 months she is refusing goats and I don't have but maybe 10 oz breast a day to give her.

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#14 of 15 Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 PM

I'm so glad to hear that things are going better! What a time you've had mama. Good for you for sticking with it.

I get so frustrated about the Diflucan issue because I also had a really hard time getting a dr to prescribe me the correct does to kick my ducatl yeast. I had to call a lactation consultant (my local hosp had a hotline) and have them fax the book reference from Dr. Hale to the dr., and then call the dr.
UGH! Like you're asking for a limb or something. Anyway, I was on 200 mg for 28 days to get rid of it. It worked like a charm when everything else I tried failed. Also, I needed a loading dose of 400mg to get things started.

If you still feel the yeast is an issue, please push for the correct treatment. You, and your baby, deserve it.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#15 of 15 Old 07-10-2005, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hooray for you and Baby! Hang in there, Mama, and call LLL if you need to!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page