The ped wants us to stop nursing ***UPDATE PG 3*** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hang in there Audrey, it WILL work out, be diligent, you will be happier in the end (and so will your baby).
#62 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 09:08 PM

YOU can do this. My son failed to thrive, I got hooked up with a LC (105.00 US) for about two months. I STILL have my hospital pump. At 40.00 bucks a month it is cheaper than formula when I have to be away.

Birth 7lbs 3 oz
two weeks 6 lbs 12 oz "lets get you in with a really good LC" and I started taking fenugreek, and drinking black butte porter.
three weeks 6 lbs 10 oz : ...added reglan to the mix, BF, pumped, hubby bottle fed, (over and over again) "don't look now but mama's got her boobs out"

3 weeks+3 days of work with a LC 7lbs

four weeks, 8lbs 2oz

six weeks 10 lbs no more formula, My Ped said "sink or swim" on monday, see you friday for weight check.

Friday 10 lbs, 5 oz.

The boy has not seen formula since.
8 plus months, 20 plus pounds.

YOU CAN DO IT
#63 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3babiesin2years
I will contact a LLL leader. I have not done it before b/c I thought the problems were worked out.

Audrey, your determination *will* see you through this!!! Keep up the great work. And keep in mind that even if $$ is tight right now, you'll be spending a TON more money if you go the full-time formula feeding route. So it's worth it to spend the $50 on a well-recommended, very informed IBCLC, or on an SNS or renting an excellent quality pump (WIC will often subsidize a hospital-grade pump rental!!!). If you're lucky, one of your local LLL leaders might even be an IBCLC, so if you go to a meeting, you essentially get her advice for free.

At any rate, DEFINITELY contact and make an effort to get to some of your local LLL groups and API groups for BF support *and* for recommendations for an excellent IBCLC. And don't be afraid to shop around -- I'm in a city of about 17 different LLL leaders, and there are some I really respect and love (super informed, very encouraging) and some I don't find very helpful at all (lacking in empathy or information ). SO, don't hesitate to call *several* leaders, or attend several different groups, until you find someone who you find to be responsive, informed, helpful, etc.

Bottom line: HANG IN THERE!!! We had a really rocky start, too, but after trying 3 different LCs and 2 different LLL groups, plus a ton of support from DH and my parents, we were finally able to just breastfeed (without all the hoopla and paraphanalia). Worth every crying session and every nipple pain and every effort!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!
#64 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 10:31 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry! I thought things were good, too!!! I agree with everyone else...you can do this! Please call an LLL leader. They are awesome! Although I agree with the PP when she said you may have to shop around! I had a bunch of LC's tell me I had to quit nursing before I found a really wonderful LLL leader who helped me figure things out with my DD.

I'm glad they're going to do bloodwork- just to rule out anything physical. I know things will work out. I promise you will not regret all the effort you're putting into this. It is so worth it.

Hang in there!!!

Shannon
#65 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 PM

Audrey,
Green poops are an indication that dd is not getting enough hindmilk. You may know this already, but when baby nurses, the first few minutes she is getting foremilk, which is like the liquidy milk, then your hindmilk starts flowing, which is the really heavy calorie stuff. It's the main course. If she is only nursing for a few minutes at a time, she may not be getting to the good stuff - and green poops are an indication of that. Try to make sure she drains one breast before going to the other one. If she pops off after a few minutes, try burping her, and putting her back on that same breast so she can get to the fatty, calorie rich milk. When she is completely done with that breast, then offer the other one. When you see yellow poop, you know she is getting more of that hindmilk.

That's good that you don't use a paci. When she seems restless, instead of the paci, swing, or bouncy seat, etc., offer the breast. I would also suggest offering the breast more often for now while you are trying to get her weight up. Instead of waiting until she is crying, offer every hour. Don't force it, just offer. If she doesn't want it try again later.

I admire you for hanging in there and trusting your abilities. Many moms may have given up by now! You are doing great. Especially for having four kiddos! Keep us posted!
#66 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the support. I really wanted to throw in the towel yesterday when I saw the scale but then I thought, I love the bond we have and we have worked too hard to quit now. I really appreciate the sweet words that I get here. It is so encouraging. I am going to call a LLL leader tomorrow.

Audrey
#67 of 137 Old 07-08-2005, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding. No she does not take a paci, she has kind of put herself on a schedule of 2 1/2 to 3 hours but I feed her whenever she cries basically. Her poop is mostly greenish and soaks into her diaper. Occassionaly we have a seedy, yellow bf baby poop.

I will contact a LLL leader. I have not done it before b/c I thought the problems were worked out.

Thanks
Audrey
A couple thoughts....when you say she put herself on a schedule, that's good, sounds like you are going by her cues. When you say you feed when she cries....it may be just right, depending on her personality, but it may needed/possible to nurse more often. The American Academy of Pediatrics says crying is a late sign of hunger, and that feeding cues include sucking, mouthing, or simply being alert. Some babies give a gentle little grunt/squeak when they want to nurse. Then there are those babies (like my dd and maybe yours? ) that cry more often and more easily.

If I had a question about my baby's weight, I probably wouldn't wait two and a half hours between the beginning of one feeding and the beginning of the next unless it was at night...KWIM? Unless offering more upset her that is.

I hope this rambly post made sense. Good luck!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#68 of 137 Old 07-09-2005, 10:07 AM

I don't know how this works with low supply, but a mom in my birth group tried this when her baby had green poop. Nurse on each side twice before switching. Pump the other if you have to, but baby will get more fat & calories if you double up on one breast. The mom that told me about it had no more green poops after just a few days.

Good for you for sticking with it this long! I am so glad you have this place to come for support.
#69 of 137 Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 AM

Oh my gosh yes, see a LLL Leader.

Thanks for the update. I am new to this thread but Momtwice told me to take a look.

Small greenish poops that just soak into the diaper are of course, not good enough. It sounds like you were doing well a month or so ago. I wonder what happened? It def sounds like she is only getting a little foremilk, not the full feeding she needs. How is yr breast pain now, BTW?

Do you hold her tummy to tummy when you nurse? Make sure she is turned in so she doesn't have to turn her head to get to the breast.

Until you see yr Leader, offer to nurse every hour, or several times an hour. Resume pumping and offer it by cup, dropper or even bottle.

If she seems to be in pain while nursing which makes her reluctant to nurse and pop off after a few mins, I think back to the mom who recced cranial sacral therapy. Or chiropractic. If she has spinal misalignment (can happen during birth) it might hurt her neck or jaw to bf. Go see a practitioner, it can only help!

If you resume pumping every 2 hours and there is not much there, I would ask you to consider supping with artificial baby milk again, just for a while until you restiulate your supply.

3 mos is the time for another growth spurt. Try to get her nursing more often. Some babies are too laid back for their own good. Try for every hour during the day and only have one 3 hr period at night.
#70 of 137 Old 07-09-2005, 11:33 PM

Keep trying! You're doing great by your baby!

I wanted to let you know that I have a strong sucker, a baby that doesn't nurse for more than 10 mintues, refuses to take both sides-ever, and gained slowly. The best advise I got was to nurse one side at least twice and then nurse the other side...and often. She is nearly 18 months now, and 20.5 lbs and now has a sign for nurse. And boy does she love to nurse. But only for a few minutes each time. What I ended up doing is nursing her all morning on my right side and all night on my left side. That way she got more of the hindmilk. Perhaps that may help. As mentioned above, the greenish poops are indicative of an imbalance. And although I look terribly lopsided throughout the day, I don't care. Noone's ever mentioned it either. The greenish poops went away but she still gained slowly. Our ped says she's fine cuz she's meeting her milestones, not getting sick and looks hydrated and energetic.

This is so very fragmented but its late for me.
#71 of 137 Old 07-10-2005, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a BIG Dr. Sears reader, and probably a LOT of people here are too....

I read the Breastfeeding book while pumping/supplementing for ds. (I didn't discover Sears soon enough...)

If you don't sling, try it. (unless of course you've got back problems or something that prevents it.)

Let her eat as much as she likes, her 7 mins or whatever, then burp and walk around with her upright for about 20 mins. and re-offer the same breast.

Offer the same breast for a 3-4 hour period. Pump the other one once in there so you don't lose supply. This also gives you something to give her if you have to supplement. (I don't know if the first part is Sears or where I heard it, the second is me, a mom who had to do the pumping thing exclusively.)

You could also pump for a few minutes first, you'll see the milk go from watery to more milky-looking. You can then latch her on and she will get all hindmilk. Or, if you can do this (I was NOT good at it) you could just hand-express. (what I might do with that watery milk is add it in with the milk from your other breast, yeah it's not quite as fatty, but it's still a 'real milk' supplement, or save it in your freezer until this weight-gain worry is over and use it in case of separation...maybe mixed with some fattier milk if you've got it.)

Another thing I've heard of NICU moms doing--babies who need to gain weight fast--is pumping the foremilk, saving that, and then pumping the hindmilk and giving just that to the baby as supplement. That way, they're getting all 'grow milk.' (I would *assume* they are saving the other for later occasional supplementing in case of separation maybe? when it wouldn't matter so much if the baby gets one bottle that's less calorie-dense?) You could do that with the side you're not nursing on too.

Rent a hosp. grade pump, it will build and keep supply better than any other, and even at $40-$65/mo, it is cheaper than full time formula...........you will NOT regret the investment.

I would try the feeding on one side more often and other techniques before trying supplements to increase supply. Feel free to PM me if you want to know where to get dom. I took it, and it was side-effect-free for me.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#72 of 137 Old 07-11-2005, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Things seem to be a little better. Thanks so much for the advice. I have been doing the one side at a time thing for the last two days and it seems to be going better. Although she got one shot on Thursday and has been very sleepy and feverish. And that's another story for another thread. :

Anyway she hadn't gone poopy since Friday but she went this morning. And it was yellow and seedy so I think we are doing better. I wasn't able to get in touch with a LLL leader over the weekend. I'm going to try again today.
#73 of 137 Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM

Awesome for YOU!

Hang in there, sounds like you are turning a corner!
#74 of 137 Old 07-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Sounds like things are getting better. Some things just from personal experience that can cause weight issues are reflux and food intolerances. Evan was 15#5oz the day after his 7 mos birthday. He's right under 10% and there was at least 1 wk where he lost weight and quite a few wks he didn't gain anything or at least not 'enough'. The first week on his reflux meds helped though. We still battle it a lot, but at least we know what to look for and how to help. We also use 4ozs of formula a day and he's still not getting that fabulous weight gain, so some babies just don't gain a lot. He's also milk/soy/egg intolerant and I'm on a strict diet for that. He nurses often and I don't think he always gets the hind milk either, it's hard to make him get it though! I thought I read this somewhere, but I could be way off, lol, but maybe she was bigger at birth, she's just settling into a more natural curve for herself? Maybe she's just meant to be a smaller baby, but was born at a higher weight? Does that make sense? Evan was 7#8oz at birth and 8# at 4 wks. I don't know, but kudos for keeping at it!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#75 of 137 Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 PM

Hooray for yellow seedy poop! :
#76 of 137 Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

thepeach80 Yes she was big. She was 10lbs 12oz. And she was only 12lbs 3oz last week at 11 weeks. I just can't figure her out. She had a really good stool yesterday am and then all day had these little mucousy green things. I have wondered about reflux and food allergies. My 18 month old is allergic to milk and has at least a sensitivity to soy as well. And she had reflux. But I don't see the signs of relux with this one. I can't tell if she is hungry. I have tried to offer her formula yesterday and this am and she will not take it. SHe seems fussy though. BUt she has been messed up since she got her shot on Thursday. Anyway I will keep pressing on.
#77 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Some reflux symptoms:

constant or sudden crying or colic like symptoms
irritability and pain
poor sleep habits typically with frequent waking
arching their necks and back during or after eating
spitting-up or vomiting
wet burp or frequent hiccups
frequent ear infections or sinus congestion

Evan has silent reflux so it's not the obvious throwing up that some babies have. Also, he gets the green, stringy diapers when I eat something I shouldn't (mainly milk). We were giving him probiotics since he's on abx and had to stop b/c he was reacting. They say they're dairy free, but I guess there's enough in there to make him react. We don't vax, but I've often heard it can effect reflux a lot if that is a problem for her. I know anytime Evan gets sick he's miserable w/ his reflux. Evan is kinda fussy like that too sometimes, just being a baby I guess. He acts hungry and fusses and I worry he's not getting enough, but he won't take a bottle so I guess he's not that hungry? More hugs!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#78 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 12:36 PM

I know it's too late but I am kind of sad you shot her immune system right now when she is not gaining well.

Why did you not get in touch with LLL? What about calling an IBCLC (bd certified lactation consultant) as well?

You say you can't tell if she is hungry. Is she lethargic? Offer your breast every hour. You are the mom and need to be in charge of this laid back little one.

Are you pumping? Are you getting anything with the pump?
#79 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
I know it's too late but I am kind of sad you shot her immune system right now when she is not gaining well.

Why did you not get in touch with LLL? What about calling an IBCLC (bd certified lactation consultant) as well?

You say you can't tell if she is hungry. Is she lethargic? Offer your breast every hour. You are the mom and need to be in charge of this laid back little one.

Are you pumping? Are you getting anything with the pump?
I am still unsure how I feel about vaccinating. I did only give her one shot, the DTaP which I know is more than one in and of itself. I am scared of being in that small percentage, where babies die from the diseases. I had a baby that died and it is very hard to lose a child. That has made me hypersenstive to everything having to do with my children. I am trying to do what's best for them. The decision we made was to go very slowly on the shots. We may still decide not to do anymore. I just don't know.

I have a call into a LLL leader in my area. I called her yesterday.

I saw the LC from the health dept. And at the hospital. Both were nice but really didn't see a problem with her latch or anything. I may be able to see another LC but it is about $ right now. We are on WIC and so the formula is free. It's very hard to convince my husband to spend the $ on a LC or other tools for bf when we are struggling anyway.

She will take the breast anytime. But a lot of the time, there is no swallowing. She will be gulping for about 3-4 min and then start jerking it around. But the most formula she will take after nursing is 1/2 -1 oz.

Last night she had formula at 9:30 (my MIL was watching her) and nursed for 25-30 min at 10:30. Is that b/c she was truly hungry? She seemed like she was.

Also it is still painful. I am not sure if that is b/c she is working so hard to get anything out. I'm not sure if I have a sufficient supply.

We are going to go tomorrow to weigh her and if she has not gained I am going to get a scale.

I know giving her formula is not helping my supply. But if she is hungry what else do I do? I have an 8 year old and an 18 month old at home too. And my dh is working like crazy and about to get a 2nd job too. He just by situation can not be a lot of help right now.

I don't want to quit but I don't want her to be hungry either.

Thanks for listening.

Audrey
#80 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I am still unsure how I feel about vaccinating. I did only give her one shot, the DTaP which I know is more than one in and of itself. I am scared of being in that small percentage, where babies die from the diseases. I had a baby that died and it is very hard to lose a child. That has made me hypersenstive to everything having to do with my children. I am trying to do what's best for them. The decision we made was to go very slowly on the shots. We may still decide not to do anymore. I just don't know.
So sorry about your loss.

Quote:
I have a call into a LLL leader in my area. I called her yesterday.
Can you put in a call to one or two more leaders? Sometimes leaders get busy in summer, go on vacation, etc. If you need help finding one, let me know your area and I can find them for you.

Quote:

I saw the LC from the health dept. And at the hospital.
I wonder if they were IBCLC? Anyone can call herself a lc. doens't mean they are truly qualified.

Quote:
She will take the breast anytime. But a lot of the time, there is no swallowing. She will be gulping for about 3-4 min
then offer offer offer.

Quote:
and then start jerking it around.
Did you try breast compression at that point?

Can your ped rec a cranial sacral or chiro practitioner?

Quote:
Last night she had formula at 9:30 (my MIL was watching her) and nursed for 25-30 min at 10:30. Is that b/c she was truly hungry?
Of course! That is a good normal nursing session and evening milk is high in fat!

Nurse that baby every hour! If you need to chase yr toddler, nurse her in a sling. Good luck.
#81 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

#82 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Just wanted to pop in here and send you some hugs. You are doing a great job with your baby. Hang in there! It will get better. Sometimes it's hard to decide exactly the right thing to do, especially when you are so concerned about your little ones! It's hard to really sit down and focus on your baby when you are being interrupted by your older children (ask me how I know!!).

Keep going, it will get better!
#83 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM

I know it may not seem like it right now, but try to hang in there a little longer. It literally took us *months* to get breastfeeding established to a point where I didn't cry (and she didn't cry) *every* time we tried to nurse. After many, many weeks & many LC visits, it finally clicked for us -- if you remain determined and seek appropriate support (from LLL, IBCLC, and only listening to a truly breastfeeding-friendly and breastfeeding-knowledgable ped too), you can do this!

Your personal determination is one of the strongest factors/predictors of breastfeeding success!

Good job for calling that one LLL leader. You haven't heard back - that's frustrating! Now get on the phone to EVERY LLL leader in a 1-hr radius of where you live - call them ALL today, leave EACH of them messages, and explain your dire situation, that you're supplementing w/ formula b/c it's free from WIC, that you've got 3 kids and little breastfeeding support. Request that if they cannot call you back today to please refer you to someone who can help you today. Don't just call, leave a message, and wait -- CALL 'EM ALL, in succession! Let them know you need help ASAP!!! Same w/ IBCLCs in your area - call, tell them your situation, that you need free or very low cost help (let them know you're on WIC). I'm sure someone will talk to you out of that group of people (LLL leaders, IBCLCs)... seriously!

Also, the formula thing is hard - SUCH a double-edged sword. Triple-edged, really. YES, it's hard to worry if your child is hungry. But unless you're double pumping w/ a great pump EVERY time you formula feed her, you're only making things more difficult regarding breastfeeding, for BOTH her and you... it's an extremely slippery slope. Try to look at formula like medicine, or like your enemy right now. It's tempting, cheap, and compared to your current bf struggles, I'm sure it seems "easy." But right now, it's robbing you and your baby of another opportunity to try to get breastfeeding to work. (Obviously, if you just chose to formula feed, you don't look at it as the enemy. But right NOW, given your BF challenges, try to stay away from the stuff!!!)

As far as it being easy to go to WIC and get free formula (and your dh needs to be reminded of this, too): cheap is sometimes really expensive.

Sure, it may be free now. But at what risk to your baby? Do you have a baby that will be allergic to BOTH cow and soy, who might have to be put on super-expensive-hypo-allergenic stuff that tastes like garbage? Will your baby be one who ends up w/ one of the long term health issues that are far more common among formula fed babies? I am NOT saying this to you for guilt -- so PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT THAT WAY. I am just saying that sometimes the easy thing to do isn't the BEST thing or HEALTHIEST thing to do.

So if your dh says "an LC is too expensive" you could always counter with "breastfeeding might seem expensive now, but formula feeding will likely be a whole lot more costly in the long run!"

OK, after re-reading what I wrote, I know I'm taking a big risk by posting this because it's possible that my message will be misconstrued as guilt-inducing when it is NOT NOT NOT meant this way. I am just trying to support your side of things because it seems like you may not be getting the support you need from family and friends and professionals when it comes to breastfeeding. So, FOR THE RECORD, THIS IS NOT ABOUT GUILT! Your mothering is a huge combination of things, and however you end up feeding your baby, I'm sure you are a loving and caring mother --> please know that I support you in your struggle!!!

And remember, Mother Nature is on your side - 95% of women CAN breastfeed, so 95% chance says that YOU, too, can breastfeed. Keep fighting for it!!! Go get 'em, girl!!!
#84 of 137 Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 PM

I think it is always important to point out the benefits of bfing to moms who are teetering on the brink of caving in!
#85 of 137 Old 07-14-2005, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

miziki I totally didn't take your comments in a bad way. I am here at mothering b/c I know people feel the way you do. I want to be constantly reminded that I am doing the right thing. I need that. Because I have ff two children, it is hard to not just fall there out of pure exhaustion with this situation. So thank you for being honest.

I called three LLL leaders yesterday and none returned my call. Maybe everyone's on vacation?

We went back to the ped today and she had gained 2 oz in 7 days. Better but still concerning. So I went ahead with the bloodwork. And we will go back again in a week. But I feel like I am making progress with my ped b/c he did not even mention supplementing anymore. I told him she does not want formula. He said she may just be gaining slowly but he wanted to be on the safe side with the tests. And that while it is sad to let her get stuck, I think I will feel better knowing nothing else is causing the slow weight gain.

My doula gave me the name of a really good IBCLC and she is also on the LLL leagues website for being a 25 year leader so she is probably pretty good. I am going to call her and plead my financial case and see if she will help me maybe at a discount.

Thanks so much for the support here. I really appreciate and need it.

Audrey
#86 of 137 Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 PM

to you Audrey!
#87 of 137 Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

OK so after 7 tries, I finally got a LLL leader on the phone. Her advice was to nurse every hour and half or so and she also said it sounds like we need to work on our latch. So she invited me to the next mtg which isn't until Aug 2 but she said she will call me in a couple of days and if things aren't better she will meet with me sooner. She said the first thing is to have the baby eat more often. She was really nice and talked to me for about 30min.

Audrey
#88 of 137 Old 07-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Audrey, you're doing *amazing* work, and I know it's really hard! But you ARE doing it! YAY, YOU! (And I'm glad my previous post didn't offend you because that was the last, last, LAST thing it was intended to do!)

Congrats on calling all of those LLL folks - I know it's frustrating when you don't get a callback in a situation like this. I am glad you actually got to talk to one LLL leader, and if you need it, take her up on her offer to see you if you think it would help!!! She wouldn't have offered if she didn't mean it, and if you need the help, jump at the chance to take it. Seriously. Also, if you can arrange to attend that LLL meeting on Aug 2, BE THERE! It really helps to SEE other moms in real life who are in different stages of breastfeeding and to HEAR others struggles and experiences and tips. You will ideally feel supported there! And try as many LLL groups as you need to in order to find one that you like - every group has a different flavor.

As for the IBCLC and long-time LLL leader that your doula recommended... HOLY COW, CALL and TALK TO THIS WOMAN ASAP! She sounds (by her credentials at least) to be an incredible resource, and truthfully, I'd be shocked if she wouldn't help you. Let her know how incredibly hard you're trying to and wanting to keep your nursing relationship going and how financially you can't afford to pay for help, and my goodness, if I were in her shoes, I'd talk to you or see you or SOMETHING. And if, for some odd reason, she won't see/talk to you for free, ask her for a referral to someone who will help for free. But yeah, call this woman... don't be afraid to call multiple times - you are doing important work here and need all the support you can get!

Man, I must sound like a horrific pest w/ all of my urging you to "call them all, frequently, until you get someone!" suggestions. I just remember from those first few months w/ nursing my dd how I needed to make sure I got help - no one was going to do it for me - soooo many calls and visits (and when you're so exhausted)... ugh! I just went down the list of LLL, IBCLCs, etc., until I found willing helpers. And truly, attending breastfeeding-supportive group meetings, like LLL and API or your local "crunchy mom" playgroup can be really helpful too.

You are making great efforts, Audrey! I'm cheering for you here from the sidelines (can you hear me whooping and celebrating for every nursing session and every oz gained?!!). Keep at it!

A word on formula: obviously, you know to do what you need to keep your baby healthy. Formula has it's place - just remain aware of how it can screw with your milk supply and your nursing relationship - use it as sparingly as you can to keep her healthy. Do you know about (or can you get) a SNS (supplemental nursing system) , it would be ideal to use this until you're sure your babe is gaining well and you're producing a good milk supply. Lact-aid Nursing Trainer and Medela SNS (link to instructions, long, but good pics + info on "slow gaining babies") are two common, well-known brands (here's a review from an adoptive mom who relactated ). If you are nursing very frequently and your baby is still hungry, when you feel that you sparingly need to use formula, you can at least keep your babe at the breast w/ an SNS and you both can still benefit from her suckling (this stimulates your supply, keeps her used to getting milk from the boob vs from the bottle, and hopefully she'll be getting breastmilk mixed in w/ formula too).

Maybe check on eBay for various prices (some cheaper than $5), or ask the doula/LLL leader/IBCLC if they know where to get one locally, hopefully for free or for cheap. Shoot, ask on MDC Giving/Trading Post! (Wish I had one to send you!)

OK, I've gone on waaaay too long. I wouldn't blame you for stopping 3 paragraphs ago! Hang in there
#89 of 137 Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 PM

When I had major nursing problems, I did have to supplement. I just did it like this, nurse, then supplement, then pump. The pumping is very important. And it worked, I brought my supply up and went to full-time nursing by 11 weeks. This was with twins though, I never had problems with my singletons, one twin had a very weak suck and needed to mature still.
#90 of 137 Old 07-15-2005, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Things are going well today. I have woken her up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and nursed her. Should I start pumping too? Or wait and see if this helps first? ALso I have been very mindful of our latch the pain is decreasing.

Audrey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page