questions about nystatin cream (wipe off nipples before feeding? can i use it on DS?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-08-2005, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am using Nystatin oral suspension for DS's thrush and was given the Nystatin cream for my nipples.

Do I need to wash the cream off my nipples before feeding DS?

Also, can I use the cream for his diaper rash?
#2 of 7 Old 06-09-2005, 12:56 PM

Hi, I'm not sure if you need to wash it off your nipples before feeding, but I do know you can use it on his diaper area. I was prescribed Nystatin for my dd's diaper area before.

HTH!

Dana, mom to Avery & Natalie 7 , Cole 4 , and Baby #4 on the way!
#3 of 7 Old 06-09-2005, 02:56 PM

Thread moved to breastfeeding.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#4 of 7 Old 06-09-2005, 03:13 PM

We also have used the cream in the diaper area before - it was prescribed for ds though - I don't know if there is a difference in strength?

I'm not sure about washing the cream off your nipples though. When we were dealing with thrush, I was told just to use the oral suspension on my nipples - I was never prescribed the cream for myself.
#5 of 7 Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 PM

no you do not need to wash it off
#6 of 7 Old 06-10-2005, 12:02 PM

I was told that I didn't have to wipe the cream off my nipples before feeding, but I tried to do that anyway because of the fact that there was polyethelene (sp) and mineral oil in the cream. Also, I personally felt the Nystatin was pretty worthless. If you are going to use it, though, take a look at the contents on the tube and see what else is in there besides Nystatin. I think a vinegar and water solution works well topically, for the nipples and for Baby's bottom, unless you or the Baby develop sensitivity to the vinegar. For me, I had a reaction to that stupid Nystatin cream.
#7 of 7 Old 06-11-2005, 02:01 PM

I didn't wipe it off because I didn't want to further dry out or irritate my nipples. However, for the reasons the PP stated, I did try to use it right after a nursing so most of it would be gone/absorbed by the time we needed to nurse again. I was pumping and working so I recall using it at night before bed and in the morning after the first feed.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page