what to do with frozen breastmilk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-12-2005, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When DS was little I pumped several times a day to build a stash 'just in case'. I had had a terrible time nursing his older brother so I was very paranoid....well he is almost 6 mos old now, EBF and over 20lbs so I have no worries about my milk supply or him getting enough. But I have a stash still. Some is as old as January! But DS wont take a bottle and DS1 (older boy) wont drink defrosted bm (he does like the fresh stuff though!) There isnt enough to donate, probably only like 80-100 oz now. I looked into donation and you need at least 300, and there is no way I am going to start pumping again. With two babies 15 mos apart I just dont have the time! What should I do with the milk in my freezer? I dont know anyone with babies here, and even if I did I dont think anyone would want my milk. Its very pro formula here. My boys were the only ones in the nursary that were bfd! We dont have a NICU here either or I would contact them. Would my regular hospitals nursary/mat ward accept it? I considered putting an add out in our freecycle to give it away but I feel a little wierd not knowing where its going KWIM? I dont want some wacko using it or doing wierd things to it or something. any ideas?
#2 of 3 Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe you could donate it directly to a baby who needs it? I'm not sure about MDC's rules about this, if it should go in Trading Post or not, but I'm sure there are MDC mamas who need to supplement or can't bf at all who'd jump at the chance to get some ebm.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 3 Old 06-12-2005, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it makes good pancakes and sauces... :
Or you could make breastmilk soap with it, since you have so much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page