working moms how many bottles do you send, or do you... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2005, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work and pump so that ds will have ample milk while I am not there. I thought that is what I was supposed to do. It works well for me, Im happy and ds is happy and full.

I was talking to my aunt who works at her church daycare and she was asking me did ds take a bottle, do you pump milk for daycare. I said yes I do and ds does fine with both bottle or breast.

Then she told me that they have one bf baby that the mother does not pump, or at least let dc drink from a bottle. She said that the mother does NOT send ebm! at all! She said the poor babe cries from the moment mom drops him/her off, until she returns for her in the afternoon!! The mother said the babe could drink water from a cup but my aunt said maybe they could get 1/2 oz in her/him the entire day.

I dont know everything but, isnt this wrong? Doesnt a bf baby have to eat more often? I couldnt imagine my babe crying all day because he was starving. I think this is just awful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2005, 03:24 PM

I only ask that question because if you're talking about post-1 year, then it shouldn't be worrisome.

HOWEVER, if the baby is under a year and is being deprived of milk or substitute, this is definite grounds for neglect and mom needs some education and/or help. Perhaps her thought is something along the lines of, "Baby's only there for 4 hours/day and I know he goes that long w/o nursing so there shouldn't be a problem." However, if the daycare providers aren't given a crucial soothing mechanism and baby is very unhappy, this is going to mar everyone's experience.

IMHO, weird, weird mama.

When working, I always sent as many bottles as my child would normally have nursing sessions (e.g. he would nurse 3 times during 8 hours, so I sent 3 bottles) and 1 extra, just in case.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

the babe is there for a full week and work day and is not on solids. so he is taking nothing but the 1/2 oz of water they can get the babe to take. as for the age i dont know but i dont think anyone should leave without something for their babe to eat/drink.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:40 PM

I really could be wrong here, but I think you are describing a serious potential neglect situation here. If the babe takes no solids and is being deprived of nutrition for a full day, that's major liability.

I highly encourage your aunt to report this mother to CPS. You wouldn't go all day w/o eating and you can't expect a baby to!

This is so shocking!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:07 PM

So is it that the baby will not drink from a bottle, or is it that the mother won't allow them to give the baby any substitues? I'm not for formula, but dang, it's better than starving a poor baby all day!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Old 06-27-2005, 08:11 PM

I agree, this situation sounds dangerous. If this is a licensed day care, I am very surprised that they would allow this situation. This sounds very very troublesome indeed.

If I were the dc worker, I would talk to the mom first and if the situation didn't improve the very next day, I would call CPS. Actually, they are probably required to call because they are mandated reporters.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Now, I've heard of babies who refused to drink ebm or formula from a bottle or cup, and still managed to thrive because of extra nursing at night. The key here though is that the DCP had something to OFFER the baby, even if s/he refused to take it.

I've also heard of babies who wouldn't take bottles and got ebm via cup or dropper (one grandma I knew on another board did that for her dgd for several months before the baby started drinking from bottles or sippy cups.) Again, ebm was available!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List