Is this even worth it? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 07-01-2005, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To make a long story short... dd breastfed no problem until 11 mo when I lost my supply due to a bad bout of flu ( not totally lost - still one feedings worth). For a month she was on formula and her health went even further down the tubes - another long story ( she began vomiting 1-3 times per day at 7 1/2 months and continued until 17 mo when we finally found a diet to heal her gut). Anyway, at 12 mo I was only producing about an oz per day. I decided to relactate ( pumping every two hours for a month after going through 3 pumps and finally finding one that worked - Medela classic ( a.k.a the beast). I took 3 capsules of fenugreek TID, 3 capsules of blessed thistle TID, and domperidome. I got up to 24 oz per day after a month and was thrilled. I switched to pumping every 4 hrs and was thrilled. DD would only nurse at night before going to bed and the rest was up to the pump. About a month later I had a severe anxiety attack due to her vomiting with more and more foods and my milk went to about 1/4 of my previous supply and looked like water. I tried to take natural things to relax myself, but nothing helped and I quit pumping since my milk always looked like water. I was in a constant state of anxiety for about 2 months ( yeah, that was fun) until I had to go on zoloft and clonipen (antianxiety). I thought about relactating again, but didn't want to give dd these drugs through my breastmilk.
Well, here we are with her turning 18 mo today. She has not vomited in a month and I can tell that her gut is healing. I've been off the antianxiety for a month and will completely wean off the zoloft in a couple of days. I feel wonderful and have zero anxiety. I don't want to go on domperidome again or pump with the "beast", but I do have a whole 8 oz. bottle of More Milk Plus and my Medela hand pump in the drawer. I can still express about 5 drops of milk out of my left breast and a couple drops of clear fluid out of my right breast even though I quit pumping in January. I would love to be able to even get to the point of pumping off 1 oz of bm a day for her because I know it is so healing for the gut (hers is trashed). She has NO interest in nursing. Is it worth it to take the More Milk Plus 4 times per day and pump every two hours with the hand pump or am I ? Thanks in advance .

Peace,

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page