Breast feeding and weight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a beautiful 20 mo. boy. I have breastfed him well, but i have not been able to loose much of the huge weight gain i had during pregnancy. I always thought bf would help. I talked to dr. and he said not to expect weight loss 'til after i stop bf ..... I feel so out of my body that this little bit of info has made me seriously consider stopping feeding although i love it.

I have been considering a three day fast to help cleanse system and boost metabolism, but all sources say not to while breastfeeding.

Help calm my turmoil if you can,

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 04:36 PM

I think it's very individual. I lost all the weight I gained immediately(by one week pp)- then lost 10lbs more in the next month or so. I have also read not to do a fast while breastfeeding. BUT I would not wean to lose weight. To me breastfeeding my child is more important than my weight.

Welcome to MDC!

-Angela
Old 07-10-2005, 06:11 PM

I gained 40 pounds when I was preg. and 20 of it came of immediately- the other 20 is still hanging on for dear life...I know my son is only 4 months old but I am used to being underweight due to a high metabolism so it is odd for me to be a little overweight now. I know it must be really frustrating at 20 months pp. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism and things like that? I'm not sure how much weight you are talking about but if its a very large amount maybe getting some tests done or seeing a chiro or naturopath for natural solutions would work?

I just don't see how stopping nursing would help- nursing itself burns 500 calories per day so if you stop that's 500 calories you'll have to find another way to burn. I know stopping BF won't help me because I already eat sensibly (and refuse to go on some kind of fad diet or starve myself) and weaning won't make me exercise more...so I would say keep BF- it's what's best for you child and I know I would really be kicking myself if I ended up weaning to lose and ended up gaining

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 07-10-2005, 10:41 PM

I can relate. I have a 15 month old and am still about 10lbs above pre-preg weight.......and about 25lbs above a weight where I feel comfortable in my skin, but that's another story.

I would recommend joining weight watcher's core plan. I know, I thought it was all hype and that I didn't need it, etc., but I joined with two other nursing mama's when our babies were about 7 months old, and we all did great. I like it because it's just a really healthy eating plan where you don't have to measure things or count too much. Plus, it's great food for baby. I felt amazing and lost 16 pounds doing it. Other mamas lost even more. Milk supply was fine, even boosted in one case. I would look into it. It's sort of an investment (about $10 per week), but it was worth every penny and the money motivated me to stick with it.

I hope this helps.

Also, my gut would say not to stop nursing. Personally, my guilt feelings about that would likely lead to more weight gain rather than loss. That's just me though.

Good luck!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 07-12-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. I know that i don't want to stop BF, it is something so beautiful that we all enjoy so much. . I was just feeling frustrated / overwhelmed and frankly want my old body back.

I just got my thyroid checked and waiting for results. I also started weight watchers. I know that the responsiblilty and ability lies with me. I just have to keep focused on fitting excersice in to my life. Between working, living, and loving.....I have found it hard to do.

hopefully next week i will post a reply that touts a weight loss of a pound or two!

thumbs up

Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM

That makes no sense!!!

The idea that BF helps you lose weight is because it's supposed to take somewhere within the range of an extra 300 - 500 calories to produce the breastmilk, so losing weight aaaaaaafter weaning when you're not expending those extra calories...? Where does that come from??????

Good Luck!

Beth
Old 07-12-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof
That makes no sense!!!

The idea that BF helps you lose weight is because it's supposed to take somewhere within the range of an extra 300 - 500 calories to produce the breastmilk, so losing weight aaaaaaafter weaning when you're not expending those extra calories...? Where does that come from??????

Good Luck!

Beth

I have heard this too.....Something like, a mothers body needs fat reserves while breastfeeding in case of famine so her baby will survive. (supposedly a hormonal thing)

But, I have no idea if it's true.

`Lorissa
Mama to ds 5, and a brand new Christmas Day baby 2009!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Fasting is as a very unhealthy way to lose wieght. Fasting forces your body into starvation mode and stunts/slows down your metabolisim. Of course, limiting calories to zero might make you lose some wieght, but it will be water weight and anything left in your bowels, but will not result in loss of fat.

How about excercise and eating a really clean diet? Adopt a whole foods low fat high protien diet. If you want to cleanse, stick with organics only and limit diet to whole fruit and vegetables, take a psyillum fiber suppliment, no breads, no processed foods, no animal by-products unless it is a piece of fish or tuna (be careful with excess tuna, as tuna has mercury in it.) This isn't technically a diet, more of a healthy eating plan and would be good for nutrition.

If you hate excercise, do you like dancing? Going for walks? Dancing to some good techno/trance with some light free weights is VERY good for you! Also, how about yoga?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 PM

~Good luck-you are not alone.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 AM

I never bought into that we lose more weight breastfeeding theory. I gained about 60 to 70 lbs during pregnancy while eating health with few crap foods..ironically. I lost 20 lbs immediately after birth and haven't lost a pound for 5 months. I hope I lose the rest but so far...this is my experience. I eat very healthy so it's weird to me but there is absolutely no where else I can cut so I have to live with it until done breastfeeding.

Sherra
Old 07-13-2005, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Awwww mama, you've done such a wonderful job nourishing your baby this long. Stick it out for a bit longer because I know you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. If you wean now because you are really and truly miserable with this extra weight you will feel so guilty and unhappy later. Just hang on a litttle longer! And like everyone else has said, your doc is full of it. You might be hanging on to some weight because your body is preparing for famine and starvation but you won't just automatically drop weight immediately after weaning. A lot of women I know gain weight after weaning because they are so used to feeding for extra calories burned during nursing that they overfeed and gain weight.
I hope you can make peace with whatever you decide. I know how hard it is to be truly miserable with your body. Nursing is the only time I feel comfortable with my figure, and even then sometimes I'm unhappy. I've struggled with weight my entire life and nursing thins me out considerably. So I know how unhappy you must be to be keeping that weight on. Big hugs to you!

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 07-13-2005, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

what doc said was that the body still holds on to hormones as it does while preg. therefore, holding on to weight. I had never heard of this before and decided to throw it out for dis.

I have followed a whole foods diet for many years pre-preg. My body just seems to have leveled off at a weight above what i am comfy with. I was looking for something to help jumpstart my metablism.

Looking on line I found info that green tea (2-4 cups decaf a day) can help. Any one else heard of this?

As far as fasting goes... I guess when i said fast, I meant cleanse. A liquid veggie, three dayer. I thoguht better of it though because of toxins released during a purification.

User Tag List