I feel cheated. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom has told me that she was all pumped to breastfeed me (her third child... she didn't nurse any of us), and then she saw a video in birthing "class" about mastitis and decided "Ew, yucky, I'm not doing that!"

Should I not feel disappointed and cheated that she didn't nurse me because of such a stupid, trivial reason? Am I just being selfish?

babyf.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 PM

I know exactly how you feel. My mom was breastfeeding me and about two weeks into it I "couldn't get enough milk" was how she put it. She felt like I was nursing all the time and I was only sleeping for about two hours at a time. She gave me a bottle of formula and I slept for 5 hours. She gave up on breastfeeding right then and there.

Apperiantly no one mentioned to her about growth spurts. She even suggested to me when my youngest was 2-3 weeks old and I was complaining about being a cow that I should give him formula so he would sleep.

In my mom's defense, she is the most selfish person I've ever met. I just have to believe that she did the best she could. I'm an intelligent, well-rounded adult with two beautiful breastfed babies. So she didn't screw-up to badly
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 PM

I think it's fair to be sad, but you have to remember, in the good old days of our moms' generation, so little was known about the benefits of breastfeeding, and there was so much propaganda about formula. In our grandmothers' and great-grandmothers' days, women were often not even "allowed" to breastfeed but would get a shot in the hospital to dry up their milk without their consent. Formula was the "modern, scientific" way to feed babies.

Not to mention there was so little support from families or society!! No internet to make instant help available, few if any lactation consultants.....

So I'm not saying you're not entitled to your feelings, but try to remember the societal context she was operating in.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 PM

sniff... sniff.... Poor babies, poor mamas....

User Tag List