Mothering Forum banner

Thrush?

793 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  hunnybumm 
#1 ·
How do you know for sure? What did you do to treat it? I'm beginning to think I may have it. After almost nine months of no nursing problems at all my nipples are very, very sore when nursing. At first I was thinking it was hormone related because I recently ovulated for the first time since birth but this seems pretty intense for that. No shooting pains though and no white spots in baby's mouth either. Just very sore, slightly reddish looking nips. Tonight I did some vinegar and water after nursing her down and am letting them air dry. I didn't have this with my other two babies so I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Does the pain get more intense as the nursing session contiunes? Does it get better? Does it stay the same? When we had thrush my nipples hurt more and more as the session continued. Do your nipples itch at all? That can be a sign along with the redness. I would keep up with the viniger and see if that helps, it really can't hurt.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by storeimy
hhhmmmm......nope. Nips don't itch and the pain is the most intense when we first latch and then seems to ease up a bit.
This is a red flag pointing to a bad latch - is my first reaction. I haven't had any problems with DS when he was younger with a bad latch so I can't remember exactly. But from what I can recall (please someone correct me if I am wrong!) if it hurts when you first latch then it starts to feel better, then it is probably a bad latch.

I tried to looked at kellymom.com but the writing on the articles is really small and hurting my eyes. LOL So hopefully someone can point you to a good article or you can find something on there.

#6 ·
Ok, I looked a little on Jack Newman's site linked by a pp. I found this quote in his Thrush document:

Quote:
2. Frequently lasts throughout the feeding, and occasionally continues after the feeding has ended. This is in contrast to the pain due to other causes that usually hurts most when the baby latches on, and gradually improves as the baby sucks.
So, in conclusion if it were thrush it would last the entire feeding or longer, if it is another cause it would be painful at first then subside as the feeding continues. This was definitly true when we had thrush. My nipples hurt / itched none stop, it got worse when DS was nursing, but it hurt well after that. It hurt anytime ANYTHING touched my nipples. I had a pretty sever case though, it got into my ducts, it wasn't fun.

Here is a link to the above quote. Scroll down to where it says "Sore Nipples, Sore B..>", it is a Word document you will have to down load. But it has many symptons for thrush.

#7 ·
Thanks you so much Gena! What a huge help that was. It can't be thrush. Odd that after almost nine months she's developed a bad latch though. I'm wondering if it has somehting to do with teething. She's having a terrible time so maybe it hurts to latch properly. I guess I'll just smear on the lansinoh and hope it subsides for now.

Thanks so much for the help mamas

#8 ·
Well DS nursed until he weaned about 2 months (he was about 18 months) due to not liking the change in my milk since I am pregnant. I know that around a year or so his latch started to not be so good. I tried to correct it though it wasn't giving me any pain, but if I would unlatch him he would just refuse to nurse. At the very end of his weaning (the last month or so) his latch sucked big time! He wasn't really using his tongue over his teeth and his lips were all funky. But by then he was only nursing once a day and I just delt with the pain to avoid 'helping' him wean.

Do you have a LC or can you talk to a LLL leader? They can give you good advice on the situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.