4-5 years 150 100.00%
As long as the child desires, whatever age that may be 389 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2003, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, you know what? A question was asked, and I answered it. And if you look at the poll, I am not the only one who feels there is a personal age limit. I am done defending myself because apparently the "perfect, flawless" people cannot forgive others for miss-wording what they said the way they can forgive themselves.: :
I just wish I were so perfect. NOT!:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2003, 11:48 AM

For crying out loud.. I am not anti -eb... Im just saying that there is a point where i too feel uncomfortable with the thought of it.. Also.. I don't know any of the forums on mothering were segratory.. I didn't realize becaue i am not eb that i should not visit this one.. I support your right to choose to eb you child.. More power to you.. I'm just saying by the time someone is going to school i am not comfortable with the idea of it happening..

So since i am the "invader" for simply repling to a poll which I voted in (4-5 yrs just incase anyone was wondering) I will leave.. No wonder some members don't want to visit some of the forums here..

Sheesh...

:

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:09 PM

Ladies, please keep your posts on topic in regards to the original post. This thread is not to debate how long each person nursed and if they are right or wrong. It is not a contest. We can all share our feelings but let us not criticize others for theirs.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:46 PM

This is the last time I am going to post on this thread. I have no problem with people saying that 3 or 4 or whatever age is their personal threashold for nursing. I totally respect your feelings in that regard, because I've been there and thought the same thing. I nursed one child for a year and another for over 5 years.

But when someone says its disgusting, (thats the one word that sticks out with looking back over this thread) its a personal attack on me and everyone else who doesn't have the same beliefs.

This whole thing is a dead horse now and I will now bow out gracefully.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:36 PM

I believe I took back the word disgusting, and apologized. There is no need for the continued attacks. I just had to re-iterate that I did indeed take back the word disgusting...I worded it wrong, and in doing so, I admitted it was the wrong choice of words. Now for goodness sakes, let it GO!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:53 PM

This is a closure warning. Please return the discussion to respectful sharing of opinion and support. We are not here to argue and degrade others. If the discussion can not be kept respectful, this thread will be closed.

~Stephanie~
Old 04-09-2003, 11:36 PM

I'm so happy to see the poll responses! I weaned my 3rd child at 4 yrs 3 months after 7 yrs straight of breastfeeding. She turns 6 tomorrow & has never been satisfied with that decision! My youngest is 9 months old - I have to admit I'd love for her to wean earlier - but if she is anything like her siblings - forget it!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I dug up this old thread looking for a particular quote. Unfortunately I didn't find the quote (still looking), but I did have a fond walk down memory lane. It gets ugly toward the end but the rest of it is full of such valuable open-hearted conversation that I thought others (maybe some new members?) might appreciate reading it.

Just please leave out any negativity, we lost this thread once because it got negative. Let's not let it happen again.

Old 04-08-2004, 05:50 PM

it's too early for me to say, i guess i'll see when we get there. Jasmyn is just over a year, and i always thought (before i had her) that i would breastfeed for a year. once we got about to 6 months, there was no stopping. nursing a toddler had always seemed weird to me, but i had never actually *seen* it before. at LLL meetings, i realized it was no different that nursing a baby--it was totally normal to me. and i can't imagine taking her nums away just coz she has reached some arbitrary time limit...makes no sense to me!

now i have reevaluated, and would definitely say no age is too old. i hope she nurses til at least 2 1/2 or 3...right now 5 seems very old to me, but if we make it that far, i'm sure it'll seem normal to me too. it's just so hard to say until you've been there.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 04-08-2004, 06:01 PM

I just looked back at my reply to this thread from 2 years ago! At that time, ds was 2 and I voted that between 4-5 years old is too old.

Well, guess what? He's 4 now and still going strong... and he'll stop when he's ready. I'm so glad I didn't listen to others who tried to pressure me into weaning. It's so tough sometimes -- now I'm a closet bfing mom because so many people are negative about it. Isn't that sad?

My son's lucky, and so am I.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:50 PM

I nursed my oldest until his fifth birthday (he chose his weaning day!). I would have gone longer had he needed to, but the time was right for both of us. It was a completely natural weaning, and it felt right. I was expecting to be sad, but I wasn't. It's going to be interesting to see when my two other nurslings decide to wean!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

Old 04-09-2004, 12:51 AM

My SIL recently reminded me of my pre-child view on extended bfing! I know that my opinion then (and I hesitate to call it that b/c that would imply that I had actually thought about!), was based on a skewed cultural norm with no facts to back it up.

Now, I am nursing a 2.5 yr. old and will stop when he is ready. How could I do it any other way? I just don't think it's my decision to make.

I'm so grateful that so many women have put themselves on the line here and in real life--admitting to and publically nursing older children--despite the obvious repurcussions. It helps me so much! THANK YOU!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Old 05-04-2004, 04:25 AM

Thanks Mother Sunshine!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Old 05-04-2004, 04:39 AM
pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie
I pcked the last one, but wish there had been mention of "for as long as both mother/child want too." I want him to be done when he's about three and am very very very gently prodding him in that direction. That said, I think it's fine when kids nurse for a very long time! I would never "wean" ds but am no longer bringing it up in convo with him, either!

wow this post is nearly two and a half years old. My son weaned/was weaned at a little over three and a half years old. He wasn't even three yet when I wrote this post. Not even two and a half. OMG time flies

mamas out there with little ones reading this, just take it one nursing at a time. It goes way too quickly, if you didn't know. I didn't.

He'll be five in august. I have to say, I can't imagine him still nursing but when he is sick or hurt I really miss the magic of it.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:02 PM

Magic it is! My ds is starting to lose his naps, which I cherish and look forward to everyday. The only way I can get him to nap now is to nurse him - and I have to ask HIM to nurse now for a nap! Used to be he would be begging me to nurse and nap by 12:30, but today he didn't fall asleep until 2:30pm! And he would have preferred to play with his trucks! But I got him down, yippee!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:07 PM
pie

I mourn the loss of naps. I never get him to take a nap now. Maybe if he's really sick, which is when I miss the ability to feed him the MOST.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:58 PM
bec

I never participated in the discussion, but I voted for CLW back when my eldest was just over a year. She is now over three with a baby sister! She is close to weaning herself, but will still nurse occasionally. I have to pump for her sister (cleft palate, she can't nurse), so have limited her nursing to right after I pump. I need to reserve the majority of my milk for the baby.

My hope is that Emily will be able to nurse after her cleft repair and I can ease up on the restrictions for Katie. We'll see. If Emily doesn't nurse after the repair, I don't know if I'll be able to keep up pumping for much longer than a year. But I am commited to getting her breastmilk for at least one year.

It has been such a journey!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:09 PM

I am glad to know so many mamas are willing to let their child lead the way. I only planned to nurse for the first year...now here we are at 16 months and I dont see DS weaning anytime soon. I asked my DH the other night after he made some off-hand comment I think it was "little man you have the life", if he thought I should wean and he replied "Heck NO!! but I hope I get them back somday!" I too voted child led, but I have to agree he should probably let me go when he wants to start dating... ...

mamaW mommy to Niko
Old 10-02-2005, 08:33 PM

You mean we're not supposed to nurse them one last time before we send them down the isle? :LOL

You know, I kinda get a kick out of seeing the shock on people's faces. My MIL has never seen anyone else nurse past 6 mos. Nursing just wasn't done in her circle. DD#1 nursed until her 3rd bday and DD#2 is almost 11 mos. Man, I can't believe it's been that long already...I so enjoy every moment of it (well, except for when we've had thrush). Babies grow up way too fast, who am I to say they have to give up one of their strongest connections to infancy? I still carry my 4 y/o in a sling every once in a while, I even tandem carry them. I so wanted to be able to tandem nurse my girls too, but dd#1 decided she was done 3 months before baby was born. I tried to convince her she really wasn't too old yet, but she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Mommy, I'm not a baby!" It was so sad.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:38 PM

I voted for 4-5 years.

Beause right *now*, with 2 nurslings (1-yr old and 3-yr old), that feels like my limit.

Maybe it will change.

But, I have been gradually reducing my son's nursing since he was about 16-months old. Right now, we're down to 1 nursing, time-limited, before bed. This is working for us, for now. Very rarely, he'll nurse once during the day, for a short time (4 or 5 minutes tops). Maybe every couple of weeks, when he's had a super rough day.

I just cannot see us continuing much longer now.

We take it a day at a time.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)

User Tag List