Co-sleeping, breast feeding & SIDS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found this link while researching SIDS what do you all think about it?Higher risk of SIDS co-sleeping breastfeeding

Down at the bottom it talks about even breastfeeding non-smoking woman the risk is higher.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 10:31 PM

i'm having a hard time concentrating enough to fully read and understand this article, but I would definitely go to the original source, read through it, compare the numbers for yourself, and then see what happens. A lot of times, people take raw data and skew it to suit their POV. I'd like to hear if this article has been reviewed by Dr. Sears on his site or by others....????
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 PM

A major flaw in all these studies is the inclusion of babies smothered by pillows or bedding as SID cases. They are not SID - they are babies smothered by pillows or bedding.

SID is unexplained death - not death with a clear cause. So yes, if you sleep on a couch and allow the baby to slip into the cushions, or if you sleep on a bed with soft coverings that can accidentally reach the baby, you are taking a risk.

But I'd love to see some real research where only the true SID cases were analysed - ie the unexplained deaths. I suspect that the incidence of actual SID with cosleeping breastfed babies is far less than those sleeping alone in cribs.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:49 PM

This study was picked apart about a month or so ago, here at MDC. Here is the link:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=311588
Old 08-25-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum
A major flaw in all these studies is the inclusion of babies smothered by pillows or bedding as SID cases. They are not SID - they are babies smothered by pillows or bedding.
: that is one of my major issues with a great deal of the sids media snippets that most parents get. smothering is not sids!!!!! including those cases in the research won't help anyone find any answers.

a very interesting article on sids was posted in another thread today - about vitamin c deficiencies. let me see if i can dig it up.

User Tag List