Does anyone NOT cover up? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just remembered one other time when I cover up. We went up a local mountain to get my son a chair yesterday...okay that made no sense.

Anyway - we were watching the Lumberjack Show, which is held outside. So, while I fed Evan on the bleachers, I had a cover over my shoulder, breast & his head. But, it wasn't so much to cover up my boob...it was to keep the sun off his face.

I always have a cover with me, but not as a cover. I use an old-style flat cloth diaper as my "all purpose rag" when I have small babies...it's a burp cloth, nursing cover on those rare occasions when I need one, pillow (if we change the baby on the ground, for example), light blanket for keeping the breeze off, sunshade (in the car seat, for example) and a rag to wipe up spit-up...very handy. I've never known how moms cope without them!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride

I always have a cover with me, but not as a cover. I use an old-style flat cloth diaper as my "all purpose rag" when I have small babies...it's a burp cloth, nursing cover on those rare occasions when I need one, pillow (if we change the baby on the ground, for example), light blanket for keeping the breeze off, sunshade (in the car seat, for example) and a rag to wipe up spit-up...very handy. I've never known how moms cope without them!
I've always got one with me, you're right, mutipurpose.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM

I Never Used A Cover Of Any Kind Just What My Shirt Mught Cover. I Also Think People Don't Really Notice Anyway. The Ones That Do Usally Have Nusred Themselves Or Had Nursed Children. And Really Who Cares.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 AM

I've only been nursing 2 weeks, but I don't cover up when company comes over. I don't see myself covering up in public. HOWEVER, I asked my MIL to make me a nursing poncho because I do plan to cover up when I nurse at work. Having my boss see me nurse gives me the heebies. It really makes no sense, I know. If he was some guy walking down the street, I wouldn't care!

After giving birth and having half the world see me naked, I am a lot less modest now than before.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 AM

I tried to cover up in the beginning because it seemed "socially correct". Then while nursing my dd at my 95 year old aunts house (I had her covered up) my aunt said "do you do that at home?". I said no and she said "then why are you doing it here!". I haven't covered up since! Words of wisdom I guess...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:16 AM

I never cover up even though there are times I feel uncomfortable. I just remind myself I'm not responsible for other peoples comfort. I would think the more people see it, the more they will get comfrotable with it paving the way for other mothers and my daughter when she grows up to BF comfortably in public. If we're all hiding behind a blanket it presents it to the public as if it's something shameful other's shouldn't see. I've got nothing to hide!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:45 AM

As a F Cup momma, with a babe who likes to Eat N' Look N' Eat, I just can't be bothered....I did the pocho thing for awhile, but he was sweating, I was sweating. They need to creat an icon of a boob hanging out, cause thats me, in Sun Harvest, the Post Office, the Dollar Store, the Park....need I go on lol
Old 09-08-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't cover up either - to me it just draws more attention. Ds's head and any fabric from my shirt covers every thing up so I think I am discreet enough.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
Old 09-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneyHD
I never "cover-up" per se. However, short of taking off my whole top, or wearing a dress so I'd have to pull the whole thing down, there's never a whole lot visible unless it's while DD is latching on or taking a peek around. I just pull my top up have at it. I think blankets and so on just call more attention to yourself, but if it makes someone feel more comfortable NIP, then go for it!

I also nurse wherever/whenever, even out to eat at a restaurant last night w/my squeamish ILs! I feel that the less fuss I make about nursing, the less everyone else cares. If I were to make a production, and go somewhere private or pull out a blanket, then it becomes a big deal.

Just my 2 cents.

Janey
I agree! Id guess that 75% of the time, people have no idea he is BFing, even when they are talking to me. They assume he';s cuddling or sleeping. I pull my shirts UP, not down, and that keeps me pretty well covered.

If someone asked me to cover with a blanket I would, out of respect. But I never have and have never been asked.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:10 PM

I don't cover up and never have. I would never put anything over DH just so she could eat. The way I look at it is if they don't wanna see anything then don't look! With a 10 month old it's hard enough to keep them still and attatched for a long period of time since there's so much going on in this world! (lol) and I agree with the previous post (above me) I don't think people really notice unless you make a big deal out of it. and another thing I don't understand is how people (on-lookers. haha) get so uncomfortable with it when it's my body and my boob. lol.

another thing thats hard for me is I have ginormous boobs (size E) so its hard enough as it is right now trying to be discreat I could never imagine trying to hold the baby, keep her latched on, and have a blanket, poncho, etc.. to try and cover her and 'it' up..

thats my 2 cents =)
Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 PM

I don't cover up. My parents relocated here and are living with us until they get a place, and when they first got here, I covered up because my dad is embarrassed by all things feminine involving his only daughter... that didn't last long though and now he sits here and chats with my while I nurse the baby.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 PM

I've never covered up, other than to hide my tummy (far more embarrassing than my strangely voluptuous breasts. I usually do have a slight wrestling match with dd to keep her from pulling my shirt up entirely and exposing my whole embarrassing belly plus the other breast. That's a little too exposed for me!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamaroo
I've never covered up, other than to hide my tummy (far more embarrassing than my strangely voluptuous breasts. I usually do have a slight wrestling match with dd to keep her from pulling my shirt up entirely and exposing my whole embarrassing belly plus the other breast. That's a little too exposed for me!
I'm the same. I cover my boob with my shirt but I am far more concerned over my flab hanging out.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-10-2005, 06:06 PM

If I see that someone is embarrassed by it (can't look me in the eye, etc) I will cover up to spare them the embarrassment. Which isn't often. I used to try to cover the belly roll, but that's about gone by now. Dd never lets me cover her, not even with a blanket during a nap. I do struggle with her while NIP because she would have both breasts exposed so she can play with one while nursing with the other. That's going a little too far for public display, for me.

"The best things in life aren't things."

Old 09-10-2005, 06:31 PM

No, never! AND...I have big 'uns, and I go from the top of my shirt (wrap tops) and I get the whole boob out. I am NOT discreet and I don't care. I think there is far too much emphasis on being discreet while nursing, even here on MDC. Everyone gets a big old eyefull, and they can suck it up if it bugs them, or look away. It is the only way ds and I are comfy, so it is how we nurse. Other people's hang-ups don't enter the equation.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:47 PM

yay for everyone not covering up!
I don't feel the need to cover either, I have a couple glamourmom tank tops, and most other times I wear a regular tank top or undershirt style tank under a t-shirt and there is very little skin showing and hardly anyone ever notices that I am nursing. I agree that a blanket just draws attention to the situation!

I was at my sister's wedding in NJ this past weekend and did my best to acclimate everyone in the state to the normalcy of breastfeeding - DD wanted to nurse constantly (more for comfort as it was our first big trip) and I walked around the hotel nursing, nursed through every meal, walked on the beach nursing, nursed while shopping at Target, nursed through my sisters entire reception (my mom joked that she was surprised I didn't walk down the aisle nursing)! I don't think there is anything wrong with it and I don't even hesitate to start nursing anytime, anywhere - and the more I do it and people get used to it, the better and more accepted it will be for DD when she is a mommy...

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 09-11-2005, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Lucysmama, thanks for mentioning the full boob out nursing. That's the kind I plan on doing, at least in the summer when I wear those cami tops, and I was getting nervous that I might be the only one. (Hey, my whole boob will be out, but my belly won't show!) I guess if I am the only one, then I am, but it's nice not to be alone too.

Chelsea, that's great. I love to hear stories about people nursing everywhere like that. Cause it IS normal!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Fi.

I just use my tshirt to cover up. It works great. I've done the fullboob thing though as well. Quite nice really, got a few looks but I just stared right back at them.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
Old 09-11-2005, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't cover with anything. Though my shirt does go up, not down because of the kind of tops I wear.

Lately I heard people talking about women not breastfeeding because they aren't used to seeing other people doing it. I've since decided to make more of an effort to breastfeed in public.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 09-11-2005, 09:28 PM

Hee hee! Maybe we are doing such a good job of making it not so obvious that we are just too discrete?

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

User Tag List