Insufficient Glandular Tissue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi everyone -

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some thoughts on this. I've been trying to nurse my 1 month old and have still not noticed my milk coming in. There hasn't been any noticeable difference in my breasts since he was born. He lost a lot of weight, so we started supplementing with formula, which I'm currently giving him with a Lact-Aid. I've been doing the whole rigamarole to increase my supply - all the LCs and various LLL leaders I've talked to said I'm doing everything they can think of, that I should just nurse more and drink more.

Anyway, I started reading about insufficient glandular tissue and I'm wondering if that could be the problem. I'm not sure if I have that condition, though, because I'm overweight and my breasts aren't small. I'm 5'2" and about 100 lbs overweight, but my breasts are only a 38C. They've never been full or perky, but then I've always been overweight. So, is it possible that I have insufficent glandular tissue even if my breasts aren't abnormally small? Is there any way my OB can tell this? I go in for my 6 week followup in a week and a half.

Anyway.. any thoughts you can give me would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

-Rachel
Mommy to Colwyn, 10/03 ~ Lachlann, 8/05 ~ Fiona, 6/08 ~ Niall, 5/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you been dx with PCOS? Do you have a wide spaced cleavage, 1 inch or more apart?
Have you tried any Galactaglouges?

Most OB's do not know about BF, especially if you have issues. I never had a full milk supply, but I continued to nurse for 4 years. I too had to supplement, but the beauty of breastfeeding is that it is not an all or nothing relationship. PM me if you would like more specific information.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 PM

Do a search for low milk supply tribe here and that will give you lots of info. Also check out the yahoo group MOBI (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues). Both groups will be able to shed light on the IGT issue. Dr. Jack Newman and Marianne Neifert both give descriptions of IGT in their breastfeeding books. IGT moms have a wide spacing between breasts, a tubular appearance of the breasts and typically didn't have any breast growth during pregnancy. There is a site that shows IGT breasts- I think it's 007b.com or something like that. I agree that PCOS could be a factor. I have IGT so ask any questions you like. MOBI will offer you lots of support regardless of the reason for your supply problem. Hang in there. The low supply road is a hard one, but breastfeeding is worth it in the end. I finally started enjoying breastfeeding about 6 months into it.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:38 AM

The problem could lie with the baby and not with your body. I know a lady whose baby didn't gain weight, and her dr (very supportive of bfing) referred her to a dr who specializes in lactation. The baby's palate was too high which interfered with sucking. Without sucking, no milk supply. He gave her a little device to put in the baby's mouth and voila! Problem instantly solved! You may want to ask at a LLL mtg about local drs who specialize in dealing with this problem.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:43 PM

May I join you?

I have IGT...PCOS....low milk supply issues.....

I would like to hear what others have to say.

I am on Metformin 2000mg ER and progesterone cream currently. have been for almost 5 months. I recieved a bfp on 11/3/05 and am due with baby #4 in July.

Sigh...here is to a much smoother bf experience...now that I know why I have low milk supply issues...

User Tag List