Giving blood while BFing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe someone has already asked this, but is it ok to go give blood while I'm breastfeeding? I'd like to go to the Red Cross this week if it won't adversely affect my milk supply or anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 04:59 PM

We talked about this at LLL last week. Giving blood is fine, but make sure you drink a lot of water before and after and eat good nourishing food.
#3 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 PM

Canadian Blood Services accepts nursing donors past six months postpartum. I'm not sure why- maybe iron issues?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was a donor with Canadian Blood Services before my round of pregnancies and miscarriages...haven't resumed yet. I was told that the b/f restriction is about all-around nutrition, but specifically iron. They want to ensure that the mom is up to it physically, and the belief is that after six months, the mom's iron reserve should be okay (provided she's eating well) and the drain of donating blood won't adversely affect her or her supply.

Of course, I was told this across the table while they were checking my blood type and iron levels - it wasn't an official statement.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 06:17 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page