Reglan / Domperidone questions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-21-2005, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I'd probably have written the following a little differently to post it here, but I wrote it for another community and instead of rewriting I'm just going to copy and paste. Here, I don't mind so much elaborating on our situation, though mostly I am just looking for other people's experiences

Here is what I wrote, I appreciate any help!!!

---

Has anyone here used Reglan to boost your supply? I am primarily looking for personal experiences, particularly if any change in mood or sleepiness occured. How long did you use it for, and what side effects (if any) did you notice?

Also, I have these questions based off of the research I have done: I understand that it can cause depressive thoughts/anxiety-- though supposedly it goes away once the drug is no longer taken. It is also only recommended to be taken short-term. If Reglan was taken for two weeks or so, how long could one expect to feel that way? I don't know if that's a question that can really be answered... but I am just trying to weigh pro vs con. Also, when it's only taken for two weeks and improvement in supply is noticed-- is it really going to stay that way for very long after it is no longer being taken? Does it really *stick* ?

It seems to me that there are a lot of probable negative side affects, but if it truly does the job and the supply lasts while the side-affects go away after the drug is no longer taken, then it would be more or less a good thing. But is it really that cut and dry?

I most definately prefer herbs over other medication, but I am trying to get a feel for all the options here. I am trying to keep my personal story out of my question here because it would take me ages to truly explain. I'd really just like to stick to the question at hand if anybody has any input on this scary drug!

One last thing: A very similar drug called Domperidone has been known to do the same thing for supply as Reglan, but with much fewer side affects (and this is the one I'd really like to get ahold of!). However, apparently it is much harder to get in the U.S. than in Canada and some other countries. Has anybody in the U.S. had experience finding this drug (either successful or unsuccessful)? I have state insurance, if it matters... that may complicate the process even further.

Thank-you!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2005, 08:54 AM

I have gotten domperidone from www.globaldrug.tv even after the so-called FDA ban without any problems. Insurance doesn't cover it though. If you can get your doctor to write a prescription, you ought to still be able to get it made at a compounding pharmacy.

I think domperidone is far safer than reglan - it doesn't cross the brain-blood barrier for one, and is not associated with depression or other such side effects.

Go to Kellymom.com and read through the Newman handouts. Dr. Jack Newman did a Mothering chat recently and said that domperidone has been taken by diabetics for upwards of 20 years at a time (in one person) with no ill effects, in similar doses used for lactating women.

If you don't want to try domperidone or while you're waiting to get it, you could try the tinctures or capsules from www.motherlove.com

It's definitely a good idea to talk to a good lactation consultant to try to pinpoint the reason for low supply. Often it is caused by a bad latch and the mother makes the milk, the baby just isn't getting it.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 5 Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank-you so much for taking the time to reply. I've gotten a few others from another community/board, and I have decided that the risk of Reglan is just too great. I really heard some awful stories. I'm going to go ahead and order the Domperidone from the link you gave me.

Like I said, it's a long story... my DD is 9 months old and besides a few ounces recently hadn't gained ANY weight since 3 months old (she was just fine before that... I'm quite sure it's not a latch thing for all kinds of reasons). We've gone through just about everything to figure this out and everything points to my supply. It's so hard to tell... I've been doing all kinds of things to boost it (tonics/herbs/oatmeal/pumping like mad/etc), and I'd like to give this a try now. Anything except losing hope, eh?

Thanks again.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#4 of 5 Old 10-24-2005, 07:47 AM

Best of luck to you! Have you had a blood workup for low thyroid problems or insulin resistance problems (PCOS?)

Also, is your dd well hydrated, peeing and pooping a lot, active, crawling, etc.? Happy and healthy? Has her head maintained growth on the charts? Are you and your dh small people? BF babies' weight gain curves are different from ff babies' and it may just be that her weight gain is dropping off naturally. Have you read up at Kellymom and looked at the bf babies' weight gain chart there?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 5 Old 10-24-2005, 06:31 PM

I have PCOS, PPD, and low supply and have taken Reglan. It worked awesome for me! I took it for 1 week at full strength, then tapered the dose down to nothing over the next couple of days, so I was on it a total of 1.5 weeks. It increased my milk dramatically! Now, I'm the type that can barely get 3 oz from both sides total during a pumping session. I was getting 6-7 oz with the Reglan and it was great!

I had (and still have) severe PPD before starting the Reglan, but it did not make things worse for me. After stopping the Reglan, I started Paxil to help control the PPD. From what my doctor told me and what I've read, Reglan only starts to cause depression after taking it for at least 6 weeks but continuing to take it does NOT reverse this effect. That's because a side-effect of causing your body to increase prolactin levels, it lowers dopamine levels in your brain. It's the lowered dopamine that causes depression. But you have to suffer low dopamine levels for awhile before it affects your overall mood. Anything less than 6 weeks isn't likely to cause any problems. Thankfully I didn't need to take it that long. After the week my milk had already doubled. My only regret is that about a month after being on it, my milk supply started suffereing again. And because I'm taking Paxil, I cannot take Reglan again. I guess it's better to have low supply than be dead (I was suicidal before the Paxil). But it's still sad that now that I'm feeling better, I can't exclusively breastfeed.

So now I'm trying Goat's Rue. I had already been through all the Fenugreek/Blessed thistle/milk thistle/blah blah blah drill and it didn't do anythnig for me. The Goat's Rue (combined with the aforementioned herbs) has helped somewhat, but nowhere near the Reglan.

I'm also still taking metformin for my insulin resistance and my thyroid levels are fine. I didn't experience ANY side effects from Reglan except for the increased milk production. I didn't notice anything different. I just wish I could take it again.

Also, for what it's worth, I considered purchasing Domperidone but decided to do research on it first. It does act the similar to the way Reglan does, with decreasing dopamine levels in your brain and thus is also not considered safe while taking anti-depressants. Oh how I wish I could take this as well.

Good luck!

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page