donate breast milk! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, perhaps you all know of this, but it was news to me:

link to national milk bank now any woman (if she meets the disease-free criteria, etc) can donate breast milk for sick babies in hospitals. I don't know all the details, but it looks like from the website that you ship it and they pay for shipping, so now even women who don't live near a milk bank can donate.

Thought I'd pass along the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 05:27 PM

wow...i had no idea that something like this existed. i find it a little off-putting, i don't think that i'd be able to donate...but it's wonderful that some women can and do! i can see that's it's like donating blood...but for some reason i feel differently about my milk?

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2005, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
If you don't have a milk bank near you, call a lactation consultant. Mine gets quite a few calls for donated milk from mom's who aren't producing enough, have supply issues or multiples. I ended up donating about 600 oz to her, her daughter used my milk to suppliment the twins she'd adopted (and is still successfully nursing at 20 months ).

#4 of 7 Old 10-29-2005, 12:12 PM

This is being done in conjunction with the Prolacta company...and I believe Prolacta is a for-profit. One big concern is that this system will discourage moms of preemies from pumping/feeding their babies themselves, because they can get breastmilk in the hospital then go home on formula.

E.g., http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=prolacta

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=prolacta

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 7 Old 10-29-2005, 12:22 PM

I wanted to add that the breast milk you donate for free is then sold to p[arents for $4.00 per ounce!! That means the averagre baby goes trough 80-120$ worth of milk a day. Personally, I link up with moms through our local birthing center, LLL, and other like minded groups and donate my milk like that. Currently, my roommate and I as well as several LLL people are helping supply EBM to a mom of 4 who can't get in her milk for the youngest. No one makes a profit and it isn't pasteurized first like it is in the milk bank.
#6 of 7 Old 11-22-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Is this for sure the company that is associated with Prolacta? On their website it says they are a not-for-profit!

ETA - I see now on their site that they are associated with them. This seems like such a complex issue. ( It would be great to have a milk bank that accepted donations by mail though.
#7 of 7 Old 11-22-2005, 12:46 PM

Beth, there are a few mamas locally who are looking for donated BM, too. I'd encourage people with milk to donate to contact an IBCLC or LLL and keep it local and not-for-profit before sending it off to some company.

Milk banks can be great, but the ones that are for-profit won't get my support.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page