WIC and formula? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
I'm sorry you are having a problem with painful nursing! Dd nursed at least 25 or more times a day without me having pain...didn't want anyone thinking the pain always happens to everyone. You're probably tired of people trying to tell you ways to help with painful nursing (Kellymom.com, lactation consultants, LLL leaders etc.) but I just thought I'd mention this in case it is helpful info to you or anyone else.
Thank you! The pain is usually from the middle of the night feeds when he stays attached and I fall asleep. He doesn't always naturally come off when he falls asleep. Unfortunately that kinda flavors the whole day. I have very sensitive nipples too, which I learned from nursing my oldest. I cried every time I fed him (even w/ a good latch and position) till he was 9 wks old. Now he's reacting to foods we thought we were safe for him and throwing a whole new wrench in things.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 10-30-2005, 09:33 PM

I just got WIC benefits for my dfs. He was already ff before he came to us and I just had to get the vouchers switched to my name. We get 8 small cans of powdered formula a month (he is two months old). I think I'll need to buy a couple more to get us through the whole month. Anyway, the office I went to was VERY pro breastfeeding. There were tons of flyers/posters...of the benefits of breastfeeding. It was nice to see.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#33 of 49 Old 10-30-2005, 09:44 PM

oh thepeach I hear you!

Now that you mention it the only time she did hurt me was sometimes in the middle of the night when she fell asleep with my nipple half in, half out of her mouth. I guess I blanked that part out of my memories.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#34 of 49 Old 10-30-2005, 10:48 PM

I am a WIC mom and have been on the program for 3 1/2 years. We get 9 gallons of milk a month for our family and that is tons for us. Our office is fairly supportive of bf but I think they could be more supportive. I have recently become a breastfeeding Peer Councilor (BFPC) and am enjoying it. A BFPC must be on WIC or have been on it at some point. Our job is to encourage moms who are interested to bf. These moms let the office know and then we are given their number. We can answer any of their questions about breastfeeding, meet them at the hospital to help w/ latch-on, etc. They can rent pumps (free of charge) that are pretty good electric double pumps and we can give them a free medela hand pump. Also I teach bf info classes at my office. We get paid $7.50 per hr and then we get paid per completed case.
I think that the free ff does make it easier for moms that have never thought about ff.
If you don't think that your WIC office is very supportive about bf you can ask them to be a bf peer councilor. If they don't have that position than maybe you can start one. PM me and I can get you more info if you need it.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#35 of 49 Old 10-30-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylie
But with veggies....In Michigan in some counties(I don't know if any other states do this) I got like 3 vouchers a month for the farm markets on WIC...I could get potatos and other veggies adding up to 10.00 each voucher...But you only got these in season...But they sure were nice then...
I know someone who is a farmer, and they really appreciate it when the mom's come in to use these vouchers. She said that she didnt know why more people on wic didnt use them.
#36 of 49 Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
DBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80
I know someone who is a farmer, and they really appreciate it when the mom's come in to use these vouchers. She said that she didnt know why more people on wic didnt use them.
I went to the farmer's market to use mine and I couldn't get anyone to help so I didn't bother. I only got $7.50 worth of checks so I decided it wasn't worth my effort to go back the next time they were open.

I've been on WIC with my 3 kids. When I lived in FL they made you go to a BFing class or they wouldn't give you checks.

Up here in Mass, the one nurse was very supportive of my desicion to BF, but they didn't offer any assistance, brochures or anything. If I wasn't surrounded by mamas who BFed and had a LLL very nearby, BFing would have been a lot harder. They made my next appt 2 months away instead of 4 months "just in case" and they told me to call ASAP if I decided I wanted to get formula.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#37 of 49 Old 10-31-2005, 12:11 AM

Nicole, that is fablous! I wonder if my WIC has that, that sounds great. Like a step towards becoming the LLL leader I want to be.

#38 of 49 Old 10-31-2005, 04:26 AM

Our local office gives major "lip service" to being pro-bf, and they have posters, give out pumps, etc, but in almost 5 years of working with them, I know that they are really only a formula-station....I KNOW that more moms here would BF if they did not have WIC.....it is so bad here, most moms look upon it as an entitlement...the thought they they might actually have to *purchase* formula never even occurs to most of the moms I see, and the mere thought pisses a lot of them off...for example, WIC is supposed ot be a supplement, not a complete amount...sure, the amount of formula they dole out is enough for some babies, especcially at first, but we have a HUGE problem here, because by about 4 months, the amount is no longer adequate, so we get moms watering down the formula, giving TONS of juice/kool-aid, etc, because "they don't give us enough formula for our babies!!!!"
The free formula thing is, in my opinion, the WORST thing we can do....if these moms did not have a choice, they would breastfeed, since most of them are not evil and don't want their kids to die...but when they have free formula given to them, they use it...I have seen MANY moms who wanted to/tried to BF, but the formula is there and free, and eventually, they ALL (95%) use it.......(the BF rate is terrible in my state...only 5% BFing at a year.) Of course, i am a die-hard lactivist, and believe that NOONE should be able to get formula unless they have a bonafide medical reason and have TRULY, with appropriate help and support, tried, and then maybe, for that tiny percentage of babies, they could get some sort of formula, like by prescription. So, the fact that BILLIONS of my tax dollars goes to buy formula for babies whose mothers never even gave BF'ing a try really burns me up.
-Theboysmama....here, you do not have to have been on WIC to be a BFPC....must be a local thing...
As far as "picking" your formula....here, you do not get to pick, the state contracts out for a supplier..I believe right now it is the Lipil stuff....unless you have a doctors note for soy or something else, like the nutramigen or whatever....and, they stopped giving the powder, they changed to the liquid concentrate..it's gross and oily, and we run into so many problems with undereducated moms not understanding how to mix it and it expires so much more quickly than the powder...ugh!
Like so many things in life, I think that the idea behind WIc is good..to give food to families that are in need......but that in practice, it is really messed up and ends up hurting SO many babies, who might have been at least BF for a while if they weren't given free formula.....

CPST
#39 of 49 Old 10-31-2005, 12:23 PM

Jess, that's just a really sad story. I do wonder what would happen if people had to bf for like 8 wks before they could get formula? I don't know. I've used it in conjunction w/ bfing for both my boys and I'm so hoping next time to avoid it altogether (this has always been my goal and never seemed to happen). I will admit I've never seen a mom bf at any of my WIC appts except me and since Evan is almost 11 mos, there are LOTS of babies in there that are much younger and you know mom didn't even try.

#40 of 49 Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM

My understanding is that WIC was created as a way to supplement the income of dairy farmers. That is why you can't get soy or rice milk, etc but you can get lactose free milk.

It also explains why the formula is so readily available. It was not created to be a health program for babies and children, it was created to give them dairy products and help the farmers. Probably at the time WIC was created bf rates were so low no one even considered what impact it would have on the health of children to give them free formula.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#41 of 49 Old 10-31-2005, 02:58 PM

You know, I've never thought of WIC in this light. I'm on WIC and I've noticed almost all the other mothers I see there are FF, as a matter of fact, when I pick up my checks the people there always act kind of surprised when they see that I still BF.

I've never really thought about the WIC program as being "bad" for lack of a better word, but now I realize that they really are encouraging FF. It makes me sad, I think I'll write a letter to my congressman, maybe some of you ladies should as well. I write mine letters all the time, the last one I wrote was in regards to how there should be grants available to women who want to CD but need a little extra $ to start out. It's better for the environment in the long run and all that other stuff. (I know I don't have to preach to you guys) it will never happen, but I like to "plant the seeds" so to speak.
#42 of 49 Old 10-30-2006, 01:01 PM

I think hospitals create far more problems with breastfeeding promotion than WIC does. The "medical professionals" at hospitals interact with young mothers at a very vulnerable time... just when they are trying to decide what method of feeding they will commit to. Then these "professionals" give the mothers free formula which the mothers think must be the best source of food for their baby if the "professionals" are giving it away for free.

So my question is: If the "professionals" are handing out free formula and aren't doing what is best for the babies... who is advocating in the best interest of the babies???
#43 of 49 Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good morning, mamas! I've pulled a few posts from this thread that seem to be encouraging WIC fraud, some for personal gain and some for more charitable reasons. We'll take a look at them and they may or may not return. If they are pulled for good, I'll let you know via PM.

Please remember that:
Quote:
You are expected to avoid the following when you post:
Posting in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, namecalling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
http://www.mothering.com/mdc/mdc_useragreement.html

Thank you for your patience!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#44 of 49 Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, since this thread is over a year old I'm just going to keep out the WIC fraud posts. Thanks, mamas!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#45 of 49 Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 PM

We are on WIC, and when we started I still had one child who needed formula. They did have a list of what you could and couldnt get but it was huge and there were few things that were not listed. All we did was tell them what formula DS had been on and they said "OK" and printed out the checks. However, I do think the formula is given out a good deal too freely and needs to be controlled. We had a huge surplus of formula after we switched DS to goat's milk. As for the tuna, I've accumulated six cans so far and I have no idea what to do with it : You have to "reapply" every 6 months here, and when I did that recently I cut waaaay back on the amount of milk we were getting. There was just no need for that much- and I only use it for cooking, dh drinks it. Both of my boys cannot tolerate cows milk and my milk will irritate my 3 month old and give my 14mo painful gas and constipation if he's given expressed mama milk after mama drinks cows milk. : On the upside, my local WIC program has given me an Ameda Purely Yours pump that I just lurrrrve and I only work part time. No one breastfeeds around here, and the nutritionist at the office was tired of seeing it collect dust so she gave it to me.
#46 of 49 Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 AM

I brought my one week old in to the local WIC office to update our paperwork and told the person I would be EBF, and he said, "That's great! Now, how many cans of formula do you want?"

There is a new program in the works to greatly increase the food package for EBF mothers on WIC, and you can comment on it online by reading this letter and following the directions.
#47 of 49 Old 11-02-2006, 05:56 PM

my wic office assumes you are going to EBF!! they even have 3 people that work there that ebf their babies. the other person i don't think ever had kids-she is the "nutritionist" and will hand out formula to anyone even if they are trying desparetly to bf. i hate her with a passion. she also was the one that said i can't bf when i am pg-KMA!!!! so horribly out of date it isn't funny. but anyway. i used the formula on wic with my first by need, not want-structual issues and me being a cow was not working for us-glad to have had them. didn't use the formula with my 2nd-ebf until 8 mo and then used a formula they didn't carry. also bf too. the pro-bfers in the office will actually come right out and ask why you aren't bfing!!! they run a bf support group too.
#48 of 49 Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandles View Post
I went and signed up for WIC today. Off topic, but my family now gets 16 gallons of milk a month!! Anyhow, I had no idea that women can get formula through WIC. I always thought they were very pro-bf. Do you think that this encourages many lower income women not to breastfeed?
I think it is a crutch for when it is not so easy going when breastfeeding.
That is what made my decision so easy with my last 2 to stop breastfeeding I thought well I get formula free anyways so why not. Well this time thankfully I have grown up and realized what is more important but in answer to your question yes I think they make it an easy out for people.
#49 of 49 Old 11-02-2006, 09:58 PM

newlywaaz, thanks so much for posting that link!!! My cousin and I were just talking about how WIC seems to give us the crappiest food possible--I'm going to post a new thread with that link so more mommas can sign the letter.

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page