Baby will only feed when asleep! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pop quiz: Baby starts rooting or showing other signs of hunger. What is the next logical step?

Put her to the breast?

WRONG! At least in my house... I have to take her to the rocking chair and rock her to sleep first.

Otherwise when I put her to the breast she will turn her head away and cry. If I keep trying, she'll get hysterical.

OK, some information:
- She's 10 weeks old
- This has been happening about 2 weeks now
- I've tried various positons, doesn't matter
- It's not a breast preference issue; she cries at either breast
- It's not an issue where she works herself up too much and can't calm herself down. While occasionally she'll have to communicate her hunger by crying, I'm very responsive and usually see her hunger before she has to cry
- I have plenty of milk. When she nurses, I see milk in her mouth or dribbling or whatever throughout the feed.
- I can't swear that I don't have too fast or slow letdown; but IMHO it seems about right to me. It's not instant, it takes about maybe 30 seconds of sucking to let down. She doesn't cough or anything when I let down either, so she can handle the flow
- She nurses just fine... as long as she has her eyes closed!

So... I'm stumped. It's not an emergency because I CAN feed her, but I'd like to solve the underlying problem!! Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 9 Old 11-10-2005, 07:16 PM

Have you tried offering BEFORE she starts rooting?

-Angela
#3 of 9 Old 11-11-2005, 01:30 AM

Rofpmsl same here. Was a thread about three days ago. Consensus: world too exciting.

Doesn't it make you feel awful when someone else is there to see you ignoring hunger cues? But sooo much less crying since I stopped forcing the issue and learnt to catch her as she wakes up.

I get the feeling she'll sleep through some time after she starts school, because she eats 2-3x @ night to compensate.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=366060

Sorry - not terse - sleeping/eating baby on arm.
#4 of 9 Old 11-12-2005, 04:15 AM

My baby went through this phase as well. What finally worked for us was having her suck on my finger until she was asleep, then popping my finger out and the nipple in. If I do it before she's ready she turns her head away and roots for my finger. Trust me, I was stumped and frustruated and thought she was rejecting the breast, so I know your pain.

10 weeks seems a little early to be bothered by distractions. I never was able to figure out why mine did it. Good luck. Jen.
#5 of 9 Old 11-12-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
My baby went through this phase as well. What finally worked for us was having her suck on my finger until she was asleep, then popping my finger out and the nipple in. If I do it before she's ready she turns her head away and roots for my finger. Trust me, I was stumped and frustruated and thought she was rejecting the breast, so I know your pain.
I had to do the exact same thing when dd was younger. She would cry and scream at my breast, even if she was hungry. She never had a bottle or paci. I finally figured out I had a fast letdown, and for a long time she would only nurse laying down. I coaxed her back to eating in the cradle hold by doing this technique the pp recommended. Good luck!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#6 of 9 Old 11-12-2005, 01:36 PM

My 5 mo old will still sometimes do this. He'll be ready to nurse, I'll offer him the breast and he'll cry. I have to give him a finger to suck for a few seconds and then pull a switcheroo. When he was a lot younger, and cried when I tried to nurse him, I found that skin-to-skin contact helped soothe him enough to nurse. Maybe you could try that? Your babe could be associating nursing with crying and that's why she needs to be sleeping. I also read that taking a warm bath together and nursing in the water helps to create a relaxing bond. We never tried that because the skin-to-skin helped right away, but it sounds good! I send you lots of support, I know how frustrating it can get-we had a tough, tough start to breastfeeding, but now we are doing great! So and keep up the good work!!
#7 of 9 Old 11-12-2005, 03:11 PM

we've been dealing with this for over a month. I think the underlying cause was OAL/a bit of reflux, and it got worse with intro of a paci and thrush. I fed ds in his sleep for a month, and finally stopped b/c he was getting WORSE not better. Ie would not sleep deeply, would fight it in his sleep, etc.

He is 12 wks now. i finally talked to an ibclc and with lots of skin to skin and dribbling milk on myself he will finally latch when awake. he isn't to the point where he will nurse well when awake, but we are getting there.

good luck. wish i had a good solution, but clearly every baby is different.
#8 of 9 Old 11-12-2005, 04:35 PM

(sleeping baby on lap)

this is my 10 wk babe too. Its nice to know we're not alone. I think, like a pp said, what started out as a mild reflux and oal issue, has turned into a nursing aversion. I think with diet and zantac the former has been managed, and now that ds is older, the letdown really doesn't seem to bother him much.

If he's hungry and awake, nursing while walking sometimes helps alot - but NOT in the sling. Nursing next to the vacuum cleaner usually works too - tho I am so, so, so sick of the vacuum cleaner sound. I can't wait for this to get better. Offering to feed before he shows initial hunger cues doesn't really work for my DS.

-L
#9 of 9 Old 11-12-2005, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm absolutely amazed at the number of posters with the same problem around the same time (10 weeks), given that I've never read about such an issue or stage or phase in any breastfeeding books or Dr. Sears or anything.

Great ideas to try, I'm definitely going to give them all a shot - offering finger first, skin-to-skin, and getting her checked for reflux. I can usually feed her in the bath, but lately she doesn't even like the bath anymore, sadly.

Oddly enough, yesterday it actually was a little better, I managed to feed her 3 times while she was awake, with no fuss - and I didn't do anything different. But she's also been fussy, so it didn't suddenly cure itself yet.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page