Correcting late onset bad latch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2005, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, this is such an odd question but this is what we are dealing with.

My ds is 8.5 weeks and bf'ing is going very well (he is 13 pounds, up from 6.11 at birth) and I guess things were going so well that I got a little lazy and let him latch on in an unconventional way a couple times too many and now he seems to have developed a habit.

Instead of opening his mouth wide, he opens it a little and kind of sucks my nipple and some of the areola into his mouth- but he's not getting enough of the aereola in and my nips are on and off sore.

So, how do I "re-train" him to do this properly? He looks at me like I'm crazy when I take the nipple out and touch his lower lip with it.

What was I thinking??
#2 of 6 Old 11-17-2005, 08:04 PM

//
#3 of 6 Old 11-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Just keep trying. Wait for him to open wide. Rub your nipple on his upper lip, from bottom of nose to upper lip.

I've got lazy sometimes too with my ds, especially when night nursing.

And even when you're not lazy about it, babies will try out new strategies from time to time. My dd would do that sucking the nipple in like a strand of spaghetti (ouch!) even though i was really careful with her about getting the best possible latch.
#4 of 6 Old 11-18-2005, 03:26 AM

I think we used to say the word open before we'd latch... and put the nipple on his chin to wait for him to open... perhaps open your mouth when you say open just to give him the idea?? It might be far fetched, but hey who knows.
#5 of 6 Old 11-18-2005, 02:27 PM

I've got another nipple slurper here! He is 1 year old and I suddenly started with all kinds of nipple pain and found cracks, because he is teething and because of that was not latching right. Just keep making him open his mouth wide each time, if he looks like he is going to slurp, just keep trying to get him to open wide. My 1 year old thinks I am very funny for doing that but after some coaxing, even he is opening wider for me.
#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2005, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My dd would do that sucking the nipple in like a strand of spaghetti (ouch!)
OMG, has your daughter told my son about nipple slurping????
Oy, it is not fun.
Well today I did unlatch him a couple of times and I touched his top lip and it worked- not 100% of the time though because he looks so pissed when I keep unlatching him that I just caved a couple of times.

I can't remember when this started but it might've been during night nursing, since I'm halfway asleep when it happens.

I can see him thinking "Mama, your breasts are like a bowl of spaghetti..."

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page