Deodorant Considerations when Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2005, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the Support/Advocacy forum, we were discussing sweating and BFing, and I thought I'd bring the conversation over here b/c I was wondering about deodorant. Since DS is always accidentally sticking his hands in my armpits when BFing, I decided to get something less toxic, so I got a deodorant rather than an anti-perspirant. It has tea tree oil in it... but basically was just the first thing natural thing I saw on the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipporah
On a related note, I have always thought that using anti-perspirants must cause toxin retention in the breast area, besides depositing more in the form of aluminium, and now there is news that there could be a link between anti-perspirant use and breast cancer. No surprise to me.
Now I'm thinking that I probably should have switched to something less toxic anyway, even without the BFing concerns. What kinds of deodorant do you use b/c of BFing (or even just in general)? What should I definitely consider in terms of changing deodorant, and/or what should I look for when I go to get the next one?

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM

I stopped using anti-perspirants a few years ago.
I'm not sure what exactly led me to do it, probably a coment from a crunchy friend, or something I read on the internet

With everything I've heard/read about them I wouldn't go back; especially while breastfeeding, but even if I weren't.

I use (and like) Tom's of Maine, but I've heard great things about alot of the different brands out there.
Anything with Tea Tree Oil should be good because it's a natural anti-bacterial.

As far as what to consider when buying...I'd just go with ones with the most natural ingredients.
I know there have been at least a few discussions in the Natural Home and Bodycare forum on deoderants, you might try searching there too
Old 12-06-2005, 06:04 PM

I used a mineral crystal while BFing. Well, I tried it during BFing and I still use it because I like it.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:13 PM

I used Tom's of Maine.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
check out the skindeep report on www.ewg.org for the lowdown on which ingredients are most and least harmful. we switched to the crystal after reading that.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 PM

Wow, would you beleive that I've never even thought about this?

I use Dove antipersperant, but jeez, maybe I'll find something else to use. I can get pretty smelly when I don't use it - I seem to sweat quite easily - so I have to use something.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see everyone's suggestions.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:42 PM

Toms doesn't work for me. I just go stinky more often than not because I'm just lucky if I find time to brush my teeth.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM

I like Tom's of Maine. I tried Kiss My Face and loved it - I'm not sure why I haven't used it again. Burt's Bees did NOTHING for me.

It seems a lot easier to find aluminum free deodorant in the men's section of the deodorant aisle.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:08 AM

When my firstborn was tiny he would scrunch up into my underarm when sleeping and his head would smell like the antiperspirant. Well I really didn't like that, so I started using other things.

The crystal works really well and now Kiss My Face has a liquid crystal roll-on deodarant that can even keep my husband from stinking (when he runs out of his). I like it better than anything else I've tried.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions... is there anything in particular about the crystal that makes it better than a roll-on or solid (natural) deodorant? (Especially for BFing?)

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 AM

I switched from anti-perspirant because I reasoned that sweat is a waste and if I don't let it go through my underarms then where would it go? I tried just about every natural deodorant at the health food store and none really worked. I came up with my own simple recipe that works fantastically. Aloe juice and lemon juice in a 1:1 ratio, tea tree oil, orange essential oil, and clove essential oil in a spray bottle. Spray it on and then I use the deodorant stone . . . all day , no funk.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 AM

I use the crystal. It works way better for me than deodorant. Deodorant just makes me smell like body odor mixed with deodorant. The crystal kills any smell as long as I shower daily.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:57 AM

Old 12-07-2005, 02:59 AM

Cool site! http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2...UCT&id=8803343
Tom's of Maine and others just made me stinky and scented at the same time. The corriander one made me smell worse. I like that Queen Helene Mint Julep but I also get very offensive smelling when that one stops working. OOOOWEEEE!
One thing that works for me when I don't have the crystal deodorant handy is to dab some sandalwood essential oil in my arm pits.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Aloe juice and lemon juice in a 1:1 ratio, tea tree oil, orange essential oil, and clove essential oil in a spray bottle. Spray it on and then I use the deodorant stone . . . all day , no funk.
Hey thanks I'll try that. I like the stone but would like to have some bacterial killers as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
I use the crystal. It works way better for me than deodorant. Deodorant just makes me smell like body odor mixed with deodorant. The crystal kills any smell as long as I shower daily.
Ditto.

What got me to switch was that DD was sleeping in DH's armpit and I could smell his deoderant on her for hours afterwards. DH refuses to use a less strong smelling deoderant (he thinks he digs ditches for a living instead of sits behind a PC all day ), so I made the switch.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM

Zombiewaif, the crystal IS a germ killer... well, not a killer so much as a prohibitor. It blocks the bacteria that make you smell from mixing with your sweat. However, sometimes (because I don't shower daily) the crystal isn't enough, so I really like that recipe too!

User Tag List