So sad... milk going bad - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sad... I've been working full time since my son was 2 months old, and I've pumped 3x per day so that he can have breast milk with absolutely no formula supplementation. The whole process has gone great up to now... I pump, my mother-in-law gives him the bottles the next day.

Last week though, the milk started going bad very quickly, like now it's less than 24 hours. I talked to a Lac. Consultant, and we think it's because I started cleaning the flanges after every pumping with antibacterial soap instead of just hot water. (I have always cleaned them with dish soap every week or so, and they've been fine). The LC said that the build-up of residue on the flanges and bottles is probably irreversable, so I ordered new ones today.

But until they get here (if, hopefully, they even fix the problem), I'm stuck. Three bottles of milk that I pumped yesterday were completely spoiled today, and right now my mother-in-law is trying to stretch out the one bottle she has that I pumped this morning, and she's mentioned that she might have to buy some formula.

I just pumped a few minutes ago, and I got 5.5 ounces, which is a great amount for me, and I just looked at it and cried, thinking that it'll probably end up having to be thrown out, and possibly even replaced with formula! It's so frustrating... I don't know what to do for the week or so I have to wait for the new parts to arrive. I'm so sad about this... I can't believe it went so well for so long, and now I've f-ed it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 06:25 PM

Are you sure it's not a lipase problem? Could you freeze the milk right away?
#3 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also thought of lipase right away. You deal with it by scalding the milk before freezing it:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

Some moms have had success using a microwave right after pumping, before putting the milk in the fridge. I found this on another site:

Quote:
I did find that the easiest way to deal with my problem was to microwave the milk briefly before freezing. Not to boiling, just until it's hot to the touch. This is effectively the same treament as stovetop scalding, but a lot more convenient. For my very wimpy microwave, this was about 1 min. for 4 oz. of breastmilk. I know that ''do not microwave breastmilk'' is a mantra out there because you will damage or destroy the beneficial antibodies. However, in this situation, the purpose is exactly to heat-inactivate the lipase enzyme (too bad we can't selectively inactivate only some enzymes). In any case, scalded breastmilk still retains all the wonderful nutritional qualities even if some of the immunological benefits are diminished, and it's better than having baby refuse to drink the breastmilk at all.
BTW check out the yahoo group pumpmoms. I would never have met my goal of pumping until a year without that list:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/pumpmoms/

#4 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 08:59 PM

I don't know what kind of pump you have but there may be a rep for that company in your area that has them at home. You can also get replacement parts at some stores like Babies R Us. Is there any way that until you figure out what's going on your child could be brought to you at work to nurse maybe once during the day?
#5 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why you have to wait for parts by mail. Many hospitals sell or rent pumps and have spare parts for the common pumps on hand. I'm surprised there isn't anywhere in your area you could get what you need more quickly. But I'm also just kind of suspicious that the soap or a need for different parts is even your issue here.
#6 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 PM

I never had a pump, I hand expressed when needed (I didn't have to pump as often and as much as you do). Do you think you could try hand expressing a bottle full and see if it also goes bad? That way you can at least attribute it to or eliminate the cause being the pump.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#7 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 02:02 AM

Have you tried boiling the flanges, etc. in water with vinegar? This was the method I used to steralize the pump parts (required for donation of milk that I was doing) and remove hard water build-up. It seemed very effective and I would think it would remove anything that the antibacterial soap might have left behind.

As the other poster mentioned, hand expressing even a small amount could help determine if the pump is even the source of the problem.
#8 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies so much. I had never heard of the lipase problem. Do you know if this is the kind of problem that sometimes comes out of the blue like mine has? I wonder what could’ve changed that would cause there to be more lipase in my milk than before… before now, the milk kept really well, and we could use it even after almost a week in the fridge.

I did actually ask my mother-in-law to freeze the bottles I gave her yesterday, so hopefully that helped them. She’s thawing and using them today… I left a freshly pumped bottle for her this morning, and after reading your responses, I called and asked her to scald the milk. I also boiled all my parts and bottles last night (not with vinegar, I’ll have to try that next).

So… hopefully that will help the problem.

As far as the pump parts, I think the only way I can get them around here is to order them. I have an Ameda Purely Yours, and we don’t have a Babies R Us or any other specialty baby stores that sell good breast pumps. I might’ve been able to get them from the lactation consultant, but I don’t know.

It’s so weird that my body might be producing more lipase all of a sudden… I wonder if it’s because of something I’m eating, or if my body might stop producing so much lipase on its own?
#9 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I was just on the phone with my sister, and telling her my breastmilk woes… and she had a great thought!

I told her about the soap build-up problem, and the possible lipase problem, and she said that maybe it’s actually the soap build-up that is breaking down the fat in the milk, rather than an unusual amount of lipase actually in the milk. …because, that’s what soap does… it breaks down fat, just like lipase does.

So this means that maybe the new parts really will help.

I think this is all very interesting. It’s like a little science experiment with breastmilk. What do you all think? Do you think it could possibly be the soap build-up that’s causing the milk to break down quickly?
#10 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Yes, lipase problems can come and go. I don't know that I have ever read an explanation of why. Freezing right away doesn't really help, from what I understand. You've got to scald, then freeze.
#11 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraWV
I think this is all very interesting. It’s like a little science experiment with breastmilk. What do you all think? Do you think it could possibly be the soap build-up that’s causing the milk to break down quickly?
I'm kind of skeptical...I would think boiling the parts would remove any possible residue.
#12 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraWV
It could be, but you can find this out very easy. Hand express some milk. If it doesn't go bad, the pump (or soap build up) is causing the problem. If it does go bad, then it's something with the milk.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#13 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 03:56 PM

I don't know for sure, but I have a gf who swears her milk "went sour" when her baby was 5.5 months. She weaned him but I wonder if it was lipase.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page