Question about nursing frequency and supply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-18-2003, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a SAHM with an exclusively bf 7 month old. I do work three Saturdays a month. DH brings babe to work and I nurse her. I;m not nursing her nearly as much as I normally do when we are home. I don't really count her nursings during the day so hard to say how often she does. Certainly for meals and for comfort when she falls. (She is full tilt crawling and pulling up on things and occasionally takes a spill if I'm not in arms reach). I would have to guess that she nurses at least 8 times during the day. On a working Sat she might only nurse 3.
Is nursing less frequently one day a week going to impact my supply?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#2 of 6 Old 01-19-2003, 12:56 AM

I'm no expert, but I doubt it. Does she nurse more once you're home to make up for lost time? Does she nurse longer at work than she might when she has you available all the time? She's probably a very efficient nurser at this point, too.

I think you're probably fine, but why don't you email some of the LLL leader types here like DaryLLL just to make sure?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 6 Old 01-19-2003, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jane, She does nurse longer at work than she would otherwise. It's more like she takes a full meal rather than a snack. I also nurse both sides at work at each feeding rather than only one which I tend to do at home as she nurses so frequently at home I just switch around. I didn't mention that we cosleep and she nurses when she wakes at night. That used to be 2-3 times but has increased to 3-6 with teething.

#4 of 6 Old 01-22-2003, 11:05 PM

Sounds like you're doing just fine with this arrangement. How wonderful that your dh is so supportive.

The increase in night nursing may be because of your new schedule rather than teething.
#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 02:52 PM

Yeah, or both! You are lucky to have such an adaptable baby and helpful dh!
#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support of DH. He is really the best. There isn't a thing he wouldn't do for his little girl! Trust me, I'm worried when she gets verbal and can really whine a little. She already has him jumping at her every whim (as all babies should from their caregivers!)

So I shouldn't worry about supply? I think I don't drink enough water and really notice that I have a more intense let down feeling when I'm up on the water intake. I do get a little full on the work days when she is not nursing alot. I just didn't want to be interfering with the supply for her. DH could make his errands shorter and make sure she is there to eat more frequently if you experienced gals said it was a problem.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page