Mothering Forum banner

has anyone tried the Nurse 'n Glow pillow?

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  witchbaby 
#1 ·
link

Curious on any opinions - thanks!!!

#2 ·
I haven't used it, but it looks pretty neat. I think the feature I like the best is the glow. I usually keep the TV on in the bedroom, but muted to get some light.

I don't, however, like the bulkiness of it. I wouldn't be able to keep it in bed throughout the night and would have to do a lot of moving and shaking of the bed to grab it and set it up for her to nurse at night. I just prop DD on her side and hold her to my breast and after awhile release my hold so that she can fall back naturally as she gets sleepy.

Cute item though.

#4 ·
Coincidentally, I just saw this advertised in a catalog, and my thought was "What an ingenious idea!" Instead of having to grab for both a pillow and a flashlight, and knowing that if you fall asleep the flashlight batteries will run out, it's all in one handy package with auto-shutoff. It surely must have been designed by someone who has actually nursed a baby in bed (as opposed to, say, the cosleeper which seems to have been designed by someone who is opposed to the practice...).

I'm too cheap to buy a glowing pillow, but I'm definitely curious about other people's experiences.

#5 ·
Am I the only one with visions of a toddler pushing on this pillow repeatedly in an attempt to wake somebody up in the middle of the night?

Seriously, it's a clever idea for a newborn and appears to be a lot more useful than many other "parenting products" out there!

#6 ·
Do you remember the "glow worm?" It was a stuffed animal (a worm, of course) that glowed when you squeezed it. I wanted one when I was younger but my parents would never get me one. Gee, I wonder if they still make them. Maybe I should get one of these instead now that I'm grown up! Although the glow worm might serve a similar purpose...

#9 ·
I want one!

The width issue... my guess is that is for stability... if it wasn't that wide, it could tip over and not provide support...

I want one because I'm going to be sleeping on a twin mattress right next to our queen... baby will be on the "outside", then me, and toddler and daddy on queen... when dd was born I had a light clipped to our headboard I turned on (no side table) that was really bright. We are getting rid of our headboard, so I couldn't even do that now. So I think this will be great for us in the early months, plus it will serve as a buffer between baby and the outside wall. I'll probably switch to a snug tuck pillow once I don't need a light to latch on. Also, the light would help with diaper changes if I needed to do one.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
Ok, I don't get it. Why does something need to glow? Why the flashlight idea? I have never had any light for night nursing and it's been fine. I don't want light. I want sleep! Seriously - do some moms have trouble nursing without some light?
Honestly, we have trouble latching in the dark. DS still needs me to help him and neither one of us has very good "aim."

#12 ·
I needed a light at first to be able to latch on properly... to make sure I wasn't drowning dd with my OAL (usually had to sop with cloth), then see if the baby spit up (mine did b/c of OAL)... I only needed it for a couple of months though, then I was fine without it.

The way I see it, it's a good product for moms who need it, but if you don't need it, that's pretty good for you.
Like I need a boppy to nurse comfortably, but wish I didn't. (it would be less of a hassle). I prefer to do things without "props" but it didn't totally work out for me. (This time I want a nursing stool too!) So I think it's good that products are being developed to address the issues and needs that some moms do have.

#14 ·
I, too, was really excited about the nurse-n-glow pillow for the same reasons that folks have mentioned. It looked so neat, and I'm a sucker for nursing pillows. (No pun intended.) Also, at the time I bought it, I was new to night nursing and nervous about co-sleeping, and I thought it would be the perfect prop pillow/nighlight/cosleeping barrier.

So, when DS was a week old, I bought it. It was my first post-baby purchase. I was that enthusiastic about using it. I ordered it from Baby Depot...and waited and waited and waited for it to arrive. It took forever! Well, in the meantime, I got a lot more comfortable nursing my DS lying down, a lot more confident about cosleeping, and (apparently) better able to see in the dark.

Also, we live in Chicago so there's always this orange ambient glow coming in through the window!

By the time it arrived, I felt like it was more trouble than it was worth. I would rather just hold DS and stay half asleep than have to worry about positioning him on the pillow. It's bulky, too--about 3/4 of the width of the snuggle nest. And the glow is not quite as glowy as it appears on the websites. It really is a lot like the glow worm doll in terms of brightness.

Based on the posts, it seems like it works for some people. But I would definitely recommend looking at it (in real life) before ordering it if you can. I'm really luke warm about it, and if I could, I would trade it for one of these fancy pillows.

http://www.rightstart.com/global/sto...t+pillows.html

#15 ·
Thanks for that review, it was very helpful.

*sigh* maybe it would be better for me to just use a flashlight, I'm pretty pro with nursing laying down. Our room is just pitch-dark and I know I'd have to have a light source initially. Hmmm. Any other ideas?

#16 ·
I used the light from the pack 'n play. It's the only part of the pack 'n play I've actually used. lol It's not too bright, and it shuts off after a few minutes. The annoying part was that occasionally I'd hit the music button instead of the light button. I think this is why people have multiple children. Because there are so many great products that you have to try them all, and by the 3rd or 4th child you know exactly what works and doesn't work.

#19 ·
wow, it seems like you would need a california king-sized bed to fit that sucker in! or maybe everyone in my family is just a bunch of bed hogs?

when k was born, i had a small nightlight in the room, but that was mainly for middle of the night diaper changes. we didn't learn to nurse laying down until she was about a month old. that was fun, let me tell you.
our house now is just off a busy street, so there is plenty of light filtering in through the windows. until the other day when it burned out, the car dealership behind us had an ultra-bright flood lamp! (tangent: i was really pissed the other night because i thought they'd gotten it repaired. turns out it was the moon! i'm a dork.).
we have a queen-sized bed and there is NO WAY the nurse n' glow would fit in there with me and the boys. a already complains that he's pressed against the wall!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.