EBF & menstruation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-20-2003, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I recently got my first period (almost 2 years after ds was born) and was happy to welcome AF back...but I haven't gotten my period again for the past 2.5 months. I've taken 3 home preg. tests and they always come back negative.

Have any of you began your period again just to skip months here and there? (I'm still nursing)

I'm just confused. I don't like having to wonder if I'm preg and have to run out to the drugstore for a test every couple of weeks :

TIA

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#2 of 6 Old 01-20-2003, 02:15 PM

you may want to start charting your cycles, for peace of mind. i too got my first postpartum period 2 years to the day after Shoshanna was born. since then, i've been taking my temp each morning and recording it on www.fertilityfriend.com
it's been 3+ weeks since that period, and i have not yet ovulated, so i am not expecting a period for a couple more weeks at least. of course, i could still be anovulatory and bleed, but i think there will be signs to warn me of that, too.
#3 of 6 Old 01-20-2003, 02:42 PM

After my first, when I got my period back, it came month after month as if it just picked up its (very regular) pace again. It started 7 months after she was born (and not coincidentally, right after we started solids).

When my period came back at 7 months with my son, I thought the same would happen. But no, my period has been skipping months here and there and in general driving me nuts. Last month I had a bit of a stomach bug around a week after my period had been due and took a pg test but it came up negative, so there was another skip. For me, when I skip, the next one comes on schedule, so at least it is predictable that way.

I know from my symtoms with my two pregnancies that when I am pregnant my body will let me know, so I am not too eager to try out a pg test right away. It's not like I am not living healthy (there is nothing lifestyle-wise to change) so I'm not all that concerned about things.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#4 of 6 Old 01-20-2003, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pregnant. The last test I took was about 2 weeks ago and it was neg. but I just took one 1/2 an hour ago and it was positive! I guess I don't have to worry anymore about my cycle for a while

Thanks again for your responses!

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#5 of 6 Old 01-20-2003, 08:06 PM

Congratulations!!!!

I am still going to answer the question from my experience. I had a period 4 months postpartum, and 2 after that but not in a row.Then I didn't have one again until dd was almost a year old.Then I got pregnant with her sister So it depends on your body I think..
#6 of 6 Old 01-21-2003, 12:15 PM

Ha! Well, if your moontime comes back while nursing, even if the cycles are irregular, and *you are not using birth control, or even charting!!* of course, you can get pg! I guess this is what you were hoping for? Congratulations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page