night feedings: to burp or not to burp - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-22-2003, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 1/2 month old sometimes burps himself. He's a big spitter upper in general. At night, being the big eater that he is, he wakes up every 2 to 6 hours to feed -- depending on the night. I'm often torn as to whether to pick him up and burp him once he's off the nipple before going back to bed. I've always done it, because it seems like he's gassy if I don't. But perhaps this isn't even the case any longer. Often it wakes him up more than if I'd just let him lay. I heard other cultures don't even burp their baby. What do other people do?

mommy at last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-22-2003, 04:38 AM

I never burped dd at night. We co-sleep so she would just nurse and we would both fall to sleep. She never had any problems from not being burped.

Brenda
#3 of 3 Old 01-22-2003, 09:49 PM

You could try it either way and see how ds reacts. This is what we do:

If I'm laying next to dd, I just let her be. If I'm sitting in a chair and she falls asleep after nursing on my lap, I put her on my shoulder for a few minutes and occasionally she burps before I lie her down. This seems to work for us. She's a pretty big spitter up, but only a couple of times a day now.

My thought has always been to not wake a sleeping baby. My dd gets up in the night to nurse and I never change her diaper anymore. She nurses better when she's half asleep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page