nighttime feedings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2006, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any tips for breastfeeding while lying on your side? I have yet to master this position. DD always seems to end up pullng on my nipples and I end up really sore. So we always sit up to nurse at night. I've tried pulling her really close etc but we just can't seem to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM

I didn't master side lying nursing until my dd was a bit older, I want to say around 4-6 months. I used a mybrestfriend pillow until I was able to nurse lying down, and would fall asleep nursing dd with that pillow all the time. Sorry I don't have more advice.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:46 PM

I found this hard for the first couple of months. I think what helped was to nurse with the upper breast (i.e. lie on my right side and nurse from the left breast). That way my ds was pretty much flat on his back and I was leaning over him slightly (but supported by pillows, my arm etc.).

Okay, it sounds uncomfortable but it wasn't! It helped because then I had all the control over positioning and didn't have to support his head to get it high enough not to pull on the nipple, etc. Probably works best if your boobs are not the firm, high kind, though
Old 01-01-2006, 08:44 PM

With my first baby it took me a while to be able to nurse laying on my side. But we had some latch issues. Try putting a pillow behind your back and one behind hers to keep her from rolling around. It's hard when your tired to make sure that she is in the correct position and you might need to support your breast during feedings. Not sure how old she is but after awhile they seem to be better at latching on comfortably even in complete darkness. Good luck with it, much easier to lay in bed and nurse than to sit up each feeding.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

DD is 5 and 1/2 months. We had major latch on issues when she was born. I had 3 different lactation consultants too! (1 from the birth center, 1 from the hsptl where i had an emergency c-section and also her pediatrician) After 2 wks of pumping and finger feeding I finally got a nipple shield and she would latch onto that. She was 8 wks before I could get her to latch on properly all the time. At night now I sometimes still have to turn on the light and stuff because she won't open her mouth more than like a little fishy KWIM. I tell her she needs to open her mouth like a birdy but at night she doesn't get it. So I guess I'm doing good considering what we've been through.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:21 PM

Make sure her chin isn't tucked to her chest. Trying having her head arched back a little. The more her chin tucks under the more she'll pull your nipple down...

good luck

User Tag List