Pump Suggestions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings BF Mamas,
By beautiful baby girl was born almost a month ago. I am a working stay at home bf mom - but I want to introduce a bottle to babe soon with breatmilk so I can go out for an occasional meeting - and perhaps a day or so out of the house for working with clients.

Problem is - the electric pumps are so expensive - since I dont imagine myself being away from babe so much I dont know if I can justify the cost.

The manual ones seem flimsy and somewhat cheap - I am not sure I will be able express milk with them. Also I have large breasts so I will need to hold the pump, and my breast. Point being - many of the manuals require you to "pump" the piston - even though we all wish for it - I too am without a third hand to accomplish all three of these tasks at once.

Has anyone had success with the non-electric, manual breastpumps? Any suggestions on models or brands? What are experiences in general with pumping?

Thanks a bunch!

Justine
#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 12:33 AM

There are a lot of threads on here about pumping advice, just run a search.

From everything I've read, Avent Isis is hands-down the best manual pump. I have it as well as an electric, and it's very good and very comfortable. You ought to be able to get it for about 35 dollars - check out www.kidsurplus.com.

Good luck!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

I love my Medela mini-electric single--not as expensive as some electric models, but does a great job. I got it for about $80 at Target.
#4 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 11:10 PM

I tried the avent isis hand pump and for some reason it always hurt. I am a fabulous pumper- I could get 10 oz in 5-10 minutes with the pump 'n style but I could barely get 2 oz with the isis. I had to buy an electric though and I got a GREAT deal on the medela Purely Yours thru ebay ($90). I love it even more than the Pump 'n Style. check it out - it might be worth it.
-good luck

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#5 of 5 Old 01-26-2003, 11:24 PM

My ds is 5 weeks old and I've been pumping just a little for the last 1.5 weeks.

I've got an Avent ISIS for now since I'll only be working in the office 1-2 day's a week at first, and can work from home the rest of the week. Most of the time it works great -- but only if I relax which I still have to remember to do. I can usually hold it and work the pump with one hand if I have a small (4oz) bottle on it, but not if I have the taller "disposible bottle" (with bag) on it.

The lactation consultant an some other parents I know are very happy with their "newborn nipple" for being slow and acting like a breast, and it got a lot of good reviews as "the best manual pump" which was why I got it. (dh doesn't have any trouble getting a nice open mouth that looks like a good latch with it -- at least for the 3 bottle feedings so far) not that you can't use their bottle to feed from a differen't pump, but having it all work together is nice.

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page