Milk banks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-26-2003, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Donating to a milk bank was recently mentioned on this forum, and I would love to do just that. Right now, I'm tandem nursing, but when these guys ease off a bit, I may be able to pump and donate. I've known some families whose kids were desperate for human milk.

Where do I find out about nearby milk banks and how to donate?
#2 of 13 Old 01-26-2003, 04:24 PM

Great it is wonderful to know that someone wants to give their "liquid gold" to those who need it so badly. I would recommend calling your local hospital, or Leleche league. I have not looked online yet, but if you try surfing, I am sure there is some info available! GOOD LUCK
#3 of 13 Old 01-26-2003, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I *am* the local La Leche League--it's a small town, and there are only 2 of us.
I'll try the nearest big city, though.

Has anyone else ever donated?
#4 of 13 Old 01-26-2003, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peach
Donating to a milk bank was recently mentioned on this forum, and I would love to do just that. Right now, I'm tandem nursing, but when these guys ease off a bit, I may be able to pump and donate. I've known some families whose kids were desperate for human milk.

Where do I find out about nearby milk banks and how to donate?
Here is the North American site HMBANA for milk banks.

We worked closely with one for my dd, who was born extremely premature.

Please don't be put off by the fact that the milk banks charge moms for the milk they recieve. Our insurance covered the cost (as does medicaid) and the milk banks definitely do NOT make a profit.

Bless you!! If you have any questions or anything, pm me!
#5 of 13 Old 01-27-2003, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have donated before and it was truely a blesing to me. Here are a few tips about getting in touch with a milk bank

1. They are sadly understaffed. Don';t be offended if they don't call you back. Call them back. Keep calling until you get someone on the line. They just might not have time to call you back.

2. if you get denided (and they will deny you for some very little reasons) don't be offened and don't giove up. One milk bank may deny you but another may accept you. If they still can't take your milk, keep serching. I had a list of adoptive moms who wanted my mik when I had too much for the milk bank.

3. In the mean time store milk in disposable containers. hard sided containers are best but bags will do. (if you use bags, zip lock freezer bags work best. bottle bags just suck.) Mark all containers with the date, amount and your name.

good luck finding a place to donate!!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 PM

Another thought.....the milk banks do have to go by stringent rules. For example, the one I worked with in Austin would not accept milk that was pumped before a mom was accepted to the program. But I was in desperate search of milk and actually got some from the milk bank some from moms that I knew.

If you hook up with some folks at LLL and let it be known you have some to share, there are probably moms who would so very gladly use it.

(In addition to dd being a preemie, I had a breast reduction surgery and had to work really really hard to have a supply. Alot of moms who had that surgery have to find some way to supplement. I know quite a few moms who are bfaring <bfing after reduction> and would consider any donated milk pure gold. Let me know if you can't find any banks or individuals to donate to and I'll try to hook you up with someone in your area.....)
#7 of 13 Old 01-28-2003, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

The one in Austin seems to be closest to me--but none of them is close. Do you have to be close to donate?
Dh volunteers his plane and time for organizations that fly medical missions: people needing transportation to a far-away hospital. I believe they also transport human milk to and from banks. Is milk ever shipped, or do people like dh fly it around?
#8 of 13 Old 01-28-2003, 01:48 PM

They fed ex it with dry ice.....I believe for donor moms, they provide all the supplies and pick up.....

You should give them a call, they're really nice
#9 of 13 Old 01-28-2003, 03:12 PM

I am in South Dakota and donated to Colorado and California. All I ever had to do was pick up dry ice (which they would remburse me for) and call UPS and they did the rest. Oohhh, I also had to put stickers on the box which was dds job. There is something all together too satisfying about shipping out a box plastered with stickers that say "Human Milk"

Rieleys mom - I was denided this time because I take a thyroid supplement (which doesn't go throug to my milk). I have about 60ounces ready to go. Do you know anyone who wants it?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#10 of 13 Old 01-28-2003, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Just one more question, I promise

I don't have anything but a hand pump right now. Would a bank reimburse me if I bought one or send me one, or should I just get one and write it off my taxes?

Whic pumps do you recommend? I haven't done much pumping.
#11 of 13 Old 01-28-2003, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peach
Just one more question, I promise

I don't have anything but a hand pump right now. Would a bank reimburse me if I bought one or send me one, or should I just get one and write it off my taxes?

Whic pumps do you recommend? I haven't done much pumping.
I don't think a bank will reimburse you for one. My insurance paid for mine.... I had the Medela pump in style and really liked it. I also used a hospital grade medela...lact-something I think. That one was also fine. (But the pump in style was just as good in my opinion)
#12 of 13 Old 01-29-2003, 12:38 AM

I used an Avent Isis and got just as much with that as I did with a pump in style. Sometimes a milk bank will let you barrow one but you have to commit to a certain amount of milk a day (bout 4 ounces)

#13 of 13 Old 01-29-2003, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have the Isis somewhere--I'll dig it out and see how it works.

Thanks again for the pointers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page