moby or maya wrap? need suggestion -which to buy? - Mothering Forums

moby or maya wrap? need suggestion -which to buy?

mishelly's Avatar mishelly (TS)
10:10 AM Liked: 0
#1 of 6
01-12-2006 | Posts: 69
I need some help please mamas!

Which wrap do you have and do you recommend it?

I'm looking for a wrap/sling to carry DS around the house, in the neighborhood for a walk, in the store, take to church.

I would like to also be able to nurse in it, but my major thing right now is comfort and carrying this babe around all day in it.

I have a hotsling and it is OK, but I would like something different. I am now between the maya and the moby and would like some input.

Thanks mamas!
rianna's Avatar rianna
12:20 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 6
01-12-2006 | Posts: 278
I love my Maya wrap..... I think its the best one. I have one in eggplant purple and I love it. People stop me all the time to ask where and what it is. It also has a niffty pocket

Good luck!
earthmama369's Avatar earthmama369
12:32 PM Liked: 33
#3 of 6
01-12-2006 | Posts: 6,792
I like the Maya wrap best, although I acknowledge that it's really up to personal preference. Have you had a chance to try both on and walk around for a little bit?

The Moby has stretchy fabric which cut off the circulation to my dd's chubby little legs the first time I tried it. I know that's not normal and it means I didn't have it adjusted quite right, but it made me leery of the learning curve. And for my body frame, it just didn't feel as comfortable distributing dd's weight across my back as the Maya wrap did.

I liked the Maya better because the fabric felt sturdier, I wanted metal rings for durability and ease of adjustment, and it was more comfortable for me to wear. I found it very quick and easy to put on and take off, and getting dd in and out in different positions was easy for me to learn. Nursing her was easy too. That pocket has turned out to be an awesome thing to have, too, although I didn't take that into consideration when I chose the Maya over the Moby.
LeosMama's Avatar LeosMama
02:29 PM Liked: 10
#4 of 6
01-12-2006 | Posts: 1,916
They have different strengths and weaknesses.

The Moby Wrap is best when worn as part of your daily wardrobe. You put it on in the morning and never take it off so you can put babe in and out all day. It's too difficult to tie to try to put it on quickly when the babe wants to be held, comes out of the car, etc. It's difficult to change positions quickly with the Moby Wrap. You can do some differing positions with a single tie-style, but not as many as you may want.

The Maya Wrap (and any unpadded ring sling) is best for when you want to have variable positions quickly, especially positions that may not be accessible in one Moby Wrap tie-style. For example, I like to quickly switch my babe from Kangaroo to hip to back to front-upright nursing. Can't do all of that quickly in a Moby Wrap. But the Maya Wrap will wear you out to wear for many hours with a heavy child. The Moby distributes weight through both shoulders and hips.

So hope that helps; make up your mind based on what carries you like to do, how frequently you like to change between which carries, and how long you'll be carrying him at a time.
kangaroo_mom's Avatar kangaroo_mom
11:46 PM Liked: 0
#5 of 6
01-13-2006 | Posts: 164
I have a moby and I had a Maya. There are many many better ring slings out there in much cooler and softer fabrics with superbly better shoulder designs and much better looking pockets for either the same price or cheaper than the Maya wrap. Seriously after 4 years of Babywearing, I finally got to buy a Maya wrap and I was very disappointed. I quickly sold it. Have you checked out The Babywearer? ( http://www.thebabywearer.com ) . There you can search for reviews of carriers like wraps and ring slings and find what works best for you.

I have to say that I do love my Moby and it is superbly comfortable to any other carrier that I have (I have about a dozen or so), but it does take a tiny bit to tie it on and I haven't nursed in it too much, but my little guy doesn't really like to nurse in carriers. I have learned from the nice ladies on TBW that nursing in a wrap can be the most comfortable way to nurse and discreet. It just takes a little practice. PM if you have any other questions. HTH!
pfamilygal's Avatar pfamilygal
02:00 AM Liked: 0
#6 of 6
01-14-2006 | Posts: 1,648
I love the Moby (though I actually prefer a MamaKangaroo if we're talking stretchy wraps). It's so poppable and you can leave it on all day. Plus it spreads the weight over both shoulders. I like ring slings too, but for more limited trips.
Reply Subscribe Breastfeeding