Formula Fed 159 40.25%
Combination BF FF 90 22.78%
Voters: 395. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 232 Old 01-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom breastfed me for 10 months, which is when she tells me I self-weaned. I suspect it was more like a nursing strike or too many solids or something like that, but she insists that I weaned all on my own. Then she breastfed my sister for 9 months and just got tired of it and weaned her.

She's very supportive of my breastfeeding, although she keeps insisting that my dd will wean during my pregnancy (3.5 months and dd is still going strong!!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 232 Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoDNJ
I was born at 31 weeks and weighed 2 lbs 12 oz. I was an identical twin but sadly my sister was stillborn. My mom had a emergency c-section and I was in NICU for several months. My mom was still able to manually express breastmilk and once I was off an iv I was able to drink from a bottle and then learned to nurse... but I never had a drop of formula. I continued to breastfeed until age 2 1/2 and tandem nursed with my bro for 6 months. I my mom and I think she overcame a lot (including grief of losing a baby) to be able to successfully breastfeed me! YAY MOM

ETA: This was 1979
your mom is awesome! I EP and one thing I always hope even though I've been told dd will be developmentally delayed is that she will some day understand that I did anything I could do give her breastmilk. it must be so rewarding to your mom to have a daughter who appreciates what she did (especially back then! my God!) and who went on to bf also. very cool.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#63 of 232 Old 01-15-2006, 10:53 PM

I was totally FF, never brought to the breast even once. That makes me kind of sad, to think of my mom giving birth, being handed her baby, and NOT nursing. Oh well. She was told her breasts were too big and that she wouldn't have any milk anyway, and was given the injection to dry up her non-milk. When I was 5 weeks old my mom had breast reduction surgery. When my sister was born, she also FF from the start. It was the 80s.

I had breast reduction surgery too, at age 18 and with my mother's urging. BF/having children at all didn't really feel important to me at the time. I have, however, fought tooth and nail to BF my dd, now 7 months old. We've had to supplement, but we use a lact-aid and she's never had a bottle. My mother's support was shaky at first (I had terribly damaged nipples, baby wasn't gaining at first, hard times generally -- hard for her to watch I guess), but she's come around big time and is my biggest cheerleader now. Yay Mom! I know she has big regrets after watching me, which is sad, since it's too late to go back and do otherwise.

Sorry this was so long.

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#64 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 AM

I was ff from birth, so was my brother and my DH and his 2 siblings. You just didn't bf then. I was on Enfamil, surprisingly enough I used that w/ my kids too when needed. AJ was 1/2 ff till 13 mos when he weaned b/c of supply issues, Evan was weaned to Neocate at 12 mos and hopefully will get to eat solids soon!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#65 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 12:48 AM

I was breastfed for 7 months or so, when my mom said I self-weened. Back then, though, she was told to give me solids first and then nurse and she said that I just gradually lost interest in the breast but was always excited about solids. I'm guessing I was just too full from solids to want milk. After talking with me now, she agrees that had she gone by the current recommendation to nurse first, then solids, I probably would have kept it up. She also says she feels saddened by the fact that she didn't breastfeed longer and wishes she was better informed.

But I tell her, that even 7 mos in the late 70s/early 80s was great! She said she was the only one she knew who BFed and that a lot of people shunned her. But I'm so proud she kept it up for as long as she did!

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#66 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 01:51 AM

I was born in 1975 and was nursing for "a long time". My mom is vague as to what that means, I take it to be around age 5.

I don't actually remember it, but I know that I had stopped sometime before my brother was born when I was six.

I actually don't know if I ever got any formula. My mom found out that I was allergic to cow's milk when I started to get ear infections, but I don't know when she began offering it.

My mom was always active in LLL, she was a Leader when my brother was little. I was around meetings since I was tiny. Now she's a IBCLC among other things, and she gave me my first copies of Mothering (she says in her day they were more like xeroxes ).

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#67 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Banned

My mother was awesome, she went through great leingths to breasteed me. My grandmother nursed all five of her kids, including my mother, so that probably set a good example. My parents were living far away from their friends/family at the time when I was born, so my mom didn't have a lot of support. I was born with jaundice and wouldn't latch for days. I was given formula by the hospital staff. My mom came home with me and was desperate for help.

The pediatrician gave my mom the number for the LLL. My mom called and was hooked up with a wonderful leader who suggested a nurse in and made all the difference. My mom said I latched on after about 5 or so hours When I was six months old my mom even went back to work and pumped for me. I'm amazed she accomplished all that in the early 80s when there were fewere resources at her disposal. She nursed me until about 14 months.
#68 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 PM

I put down Combination BF+FF even though I never got formula. But I was weaned at 7 months onto a cup... of cow's milk. Formula would have been great compared to that!
#69 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Dh and I were both adopted, both FF. Our parents' bio babies were FF too, though. I never knew anyone who BF'd till I was an adult!
#70 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 01:44 PM

100% formula fed from day one. I was born in 1968 when women were told that formula was healthier and superior to breastmilk.
#71 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:08 PM

My mom also had me and my sister (breech) with no drugs in the 70's.

I was BF until 10 months old when I supposedly self-weaned.

However, my mom started feeding me cereal when I was ridiculously young, 6 weeks old or even younger, and I got formula during the day when she went back to work when I was 4 months old, and formula at other times when she left me for longer than a couple of hours.

She didn't feed me anything besides cereal until I was around 6 months old.

I had a bottle until I was well over 2, probably until I was nearly 3. I was very attached to my bottle. I also sucked my thumb until I was in kindergarten and carried my lovey around everywhere until then. I have always been very orally fixated and started smoking daily at age 16.

I had horrible ear infections starting around age 1 and had tubes put in my ears eventually. I was frequently sick as a kid. Bronchitis, tonsillitis, croup, you name it. No allergies though.

My mom is really proud of having BF me and my sister (my sister BF to 13 months). I think she felt bad when I told her that babies at 10 months old don't usually "self-wean". But she did very well for having kids in the 70's. There was some wack advice given out by peds back then! My mom saved all these feeding instruction sheets that she was given by her ped and O.M.G.

They read like this:

3 months old

breakfast - formula, cereal, fruit

lunch - formula, meat, vegetable, fruit

dinner - formula, meat, vegetable, fruit

Etc. They recommend meals with 3 or 4 courses at just a few months old, only mention breastmilk in passing (as if it's an inferior "substitute" for formula), encourage strict scheduling and...the saddest one...they recommend that after you bring your newborn home, you should "keep baby to him or herself as much as possible."

Times have changed, that's for sure! Even the most mainstream peds wouldn't give out that kind of info these days!
#72 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeospero
I was totally FF, never brought to the breast even once. That makes me kind of sad, to think of my mom giving birth, being handed her baby, and NOT nursing. Oh well. She was told her breasts were too big and that she wouldn't have any milk anyway, and was given the injection to dry up her non-milk. When I was 5 weeks old my mom had breast reduction surgery. When my sister was born, she also FF from the start. It was the 80s.

I had breast reduction surgery too, at age 18 and with my mother's urging. BF/having children at all didn't really feel important to me at the time. I have, however, fought tooth and nail to BF my dd, now 7 months old. We've had to supplement, but we use a lact-aid and she's never had a bottle. My mother's support was shaky at first (I had terribly damaged nipples, baby wasn't gaining at first, hard times generally -- hard for her to watch I guess), but she's come around big time and is my biggest cheerleader now. Yay Mom! I know she has big regrets after watching me, which is sad, since it's too late to go back and do otherwise.

Sorry this was so long.

That is great that you are BFAR!!!

Totally ridiculous that they would give your mom a shot to dry up her milk that she supposedly didn't have.
#73 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:23 PM

I was FF. I asked my mom why and she said it wasn't her temperment to bf. She sees me with the baby now and says it's cute. Sometimes I wonder if she wishes she had bf'd but I don't want to bring it up and make her feel bad. She might not have known how good it was to bf, and she's a good mom.

I had allergies and skin rashes -- and still do if I don't watch what I eat.
#74 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:26 PM

My mother BF me until I cut teeth and began to bite (7 mos or so). She weaned me to formula then.
#75 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was EBF until my mother says I reached out & grabbed a cookie from my grandmother & stuffed it in my mouth. Mom introduced solids that day but continued to bf to about a year- then a month or 2 later she says I got sick & her milk came back in & nursed until I was well. She says that month is when she conceived my sis. Dad's mom thought Mom was starving me to death (I was a skinny babe) & even made an appt. for me w/ her doc!! Yay for my brave mamma!! My mom also had unmedicated childbirth in 1979- with my dad in the room
Yay for all our brave mammas!!

Oh- & I had some ear infections as a kid, but nothing big. No oral fixations.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#76 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:37 PM

I was born in 1975 and was ff. I was a relatively healthy kid.... nothing too major. I did have re-occuring bouts with strep throat from ages 12-15. I also was a thumb sucker until around 7. No food allergies or skin issues though. I'm a pretty healthy person although when I do get sick I get hit hard but I rarely get sick.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#77 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:38 PM

I was breastfed for a couple of months then switched to formula. My parents thought bf was best, but they were young and lived in my grandparent's basement. My grandparents offered little support (in fact, step-grandma was always wanting to rock me and give me a bottle) and after awhile my mom quit. She is still sad about that.

She breastfed my brother for a few months and her milk dried up. My second brother was born when first brother was 17 months old and breastfed as well- but I don't remember how long- I know he was weaned already when he was diagnosed with cancer around 9 months old, he died at 14 months.

I had a ton of ear infections as a child and a few surgeries to put tubes in my ears. Also had my tonsils removed. My brother, who was breastfed until mom's milk dried up went straight to solids since he wouldn't take any kind of formula or baby food and he's extremely healthy- unfortunately, that makes him think I'm silly to be so pro-bf and delayed solids. He reacted terribly to all the vaccines.

We're both lucky to be blessed with good genes and immune systems despite not being bf very long and being completely vaxed... my dh's family is a whole 'nother story though... they sure could have benefited from less "medical" care, more breastfeeding and no vax.
#78 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM

I was BF until well over age 2 when I finally self-weaned (apparently my dad would joke that I'd come home from college and want to nurse ) This was in the 70's and my mom had NO support - her mother had passed away when she was a teen, and her MIL was completely anti-BF. Her friends were FFeeders too - she tells a story of one night when I was about a week old and she was just exhausted, so her friend offered to watch me for a couple of hours while she took a nap. She woke up to find her feeding me Karo syrup and condensed milk from a bottle. She was LIVID! I don't think I ever got any kind of formula other than that. I do have seasonal-type allergies and possible PCOS, but I think there's some weird hereditary stuff going on.

I'm the oldest of four and my sibs were all BF for at least 2 years as well (except one sis who self-weaned at around 18 mos) and my mom wound up becoming a LLL leader and was very active in the crunchy community for many years - even had my brother and sister at home.

DH and his brother were both FF from birth, and I've never asked why, but I suspect it was just "the thing to do" at the time. It was also "the thing to do" to put pureed carrots in DH's bottle of formula almost from the beginning. I have no idea WHY, but apparently all her friends did it and it turned the babies ORANGE! DH has lots of problems with allergies, stomach problems, etc. BUT I found out after DS was born tongue tied that DH, his brother and his mom are all tongue-tied as well, so some of his stomach probs could come from that.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#79 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM

I was formula fed from day one. Cereal in the bottle at like 6 weeks, too.

My mom never wanted to bf me. She had issues with her body image, thought her large breasts were disgusting, etc. Plus it was the early seventies and formula was considered superior to mother's milk. What a crock!

I am the first mom in my extended family to BF. I am so proud to still be nursing DS, who is 37 months. My folks think I'm some sort of "hippie" to still be nursing DS, but have been pretty supportive anyway. I constantly hear how he'll still be nursing at 18, or calling me when he's on dates because he's "thirsty". I just roll my eyes at them and say, "I seriously doubt that!'

~Kiyomi~ Unschooling mom to one very chatty, very amazing 7 year old bundle of boy
#80 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:09 PM

I was ff, born in 1976.She got the shot. Never considered bf'ing. She also smoked while pg with me. Had a paci until age 2. I am in good health but always struggle with my weight... I can gain weight in a heartbeat. I think this is partially due to being ff'ed, partial genetics, partial my own willpower! My sister was also ff'ed (born in 1979) had chronic asthma (hmm, smoking?) ear infections, all sorts of health probs also sucked her thumb to age 6.

My mom also practiced "detached" parenting- ie, CIO, etc. and I think that is partially why my sis and I struggle with self esteem issues to this day. We also have a huge fear of abandonment even though we were brought up in a healthy happy home and both have good marriages.

Danielle
#81 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:21 PM

I was FF totally, never BF. Honestly, I was fine. My EBF son has been sicker than I was as a small child, which is pretty ironic. I only had medication for an eye infection when I was around 6, and then some mild seasonal allergies on and off in my preteen years...I was a VERY healthy kid.

I also had to chuckle at the "it wasn't ladylike" comment of a PP. That's totally where my mom was coming from, I'm sure. I was born in 1973, and where we lived, it just wasn't something "civilized" women did - gotta love it : ....

It's hard to characterize my mom's reaction to my EBF my DS (and will do so with our new babe too) - she didn't ever try to talk me out of it (though she did ask at 2 months when I was going to start DS on cereal, and asked if I was going to wean him right when he turned 1, like there was some sort of magic switch in his little belly that suddenly didn't need BM anymore...), but she wasn't real rah rah about it, either.....I guess she just accepted it, because it was my decision and my child.

BUT, she was pretty embarrassed when I would NIP...also very unladylike. So, I was sure to do it as often as possible when I was out with her - HA!!!!!!!!! Just kidding. I love my mom to pieces, and don't feel badly about her FF me - she did the best she knew how, and I think I turned out pretty darned well, considering! She was and still is a GD maven (I like to think of her as the female Mr. Rogers ), and if I had to choose between being FF and GDd or being BF and NOT GDd, I'd pick formula and GD every time (though obviously BF and GDd would be the best, which is what I'm striving for!!).

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#82 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM

BF until about 1.5 my mom says. I started solids around 8 months and was full blown on them by a year. Nursed at bedtime for the next 1/2 year. My mom was about as crunchy as they come, even attempted to nurse my adopted brother some 20 years ago which was unheard of at the time. She still laughs at how much I turned out like her. She WISHES that she was as comfortable nursing in public as I am now .

Apparently I was quite the eager eater though, she still remembers how I could drain 1 side in about 3 minutes . DD1 was VERY similar, DD2 likes to take more time .
#83 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:36 PM

I was breast and formula fed. I was born in '78 and my Mom had to fight to even begin to nurse me. When I was 6m she went back to school and I stayed with my grandmother and got formula bottles. My Mom said she never even heard of a pump and never tried to express. She used to say that I weaned at that time, but we've since discussed it and I began to "prefer" the bottle likely becuase her milk supply was decreasing.
She went on to BF my brother ('81) until he was 18m old and hand expressed when she had to leave him with a sitter. She had trouble nursing him at first and got hooked up with LLL.
She is such a great supporter of my BF and she has talked to me about her feelings of regret about only nursing me for 6m. I still feel lucky that I was nursed at all.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#84 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Wow there has been some major ignorance about BFing since formula got big! I can't believe what some of the Drs were saying to our mothers...

I was BFed for the first 6 months but I constantly screamed and vomited, so dr. said I was probably allergic to my mothers' milk and they put me on ProSoyBee (sp?) formula--it never occured to her or Dr. that she should just cut dairy out of her diet. Now I have a terrible soy allergy. my poor mom always felt terrible that I was "allergic" to her milk and she kept it up for so long b/c she was trying to do the right thing...now she feels bad about the soy allergy! I tell her she did her best, I love her and that it's the soy formula industry that is to blame...
#85 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 04:05 PM

I was BF'ed for 6 weeks and then my mom had to go back to work (she was/is an ER nurse).

She bf'ed all of my siblings, but I remember she told me that the ped told her that she had to stop nursing my younger brother because he was nursing every 1.5-2 hours and he was getting too big : I told mom that is pretty normal for a newborn..
#86 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 04:06 PM

I was totally FF. Mom said she never even thought about BF me -- in 1970 no one she knew even thought about BF, she said. (Having seen my healthy, bf kids mom now says she wishes that she had bf me.) Her doctors never even suggested it to her. I got the "good" stuff, too -- Carnation Evaporated milk, corn syrup and a drop of PolyViSol vitamins. As a child I had recurrent ear infections and ended up having tubes put in at age 5. I also developed a milk allergy, which I have since outgrown. I stuggle with my weight, currently carrying a good extra 40 pounds around with me. (My breastfed kids are nice and slender and can eat all they want w/o gaining too much weight.) I also keep thinking those 8 extra IQ points might have helped me not get a C in high school algebra. lol!
#87 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim
I was breastfed until I was about 2.

My mom had never even seen a baby nurse before she had me and a nurse at the hospital told her I would suffocate at the breast. Thank goodness she was determined and didn't run into any major problems.
#88 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 04:20 PM

I was born in "75 and was EBF for probably 5 or 6 months when I began a few solids. My mom started me on some rice cereal, made it for me the first time and thought it was disgusting so from then on she would make her own whole grain cereal for me. I breastfed til I was over 1 year old - which was a very long time back then.

My mom just seemed to have some good crunchy healthy instincts when it came to our nutrition. I remember her making home made yogurt, we drank raw milk, home made breads everything.... but that's kinda off topic.

My mom went thru a lot to breastfeed my youngest sister. She was preemie sized and woulnd't latch on. Her nipples were a mess and it was extremely painful. My dad kept telling her to FF. Unfortunately my mom didn't know about nipple shields or breastpumps, so she endured throught excruciating pain for a few months til my sister got the hang of it.

We were all pretty healthy kids. I think I was the most healthy - tho I did get a couple ear infections one year. My youngest sister had a lot of allergies but she eventually outgrew them. She also had some vaccine reactions but my mom had never heard of not vaccinating. She's def anti-vaccines now. Anyway, the ped recommended my sister get smaller doses of the vaccines. Not sure what kind of reaction she had...
#89 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 04:34 PM

I was BF until 9-10 months, then put on goat's milk for a few months. My mother had a very bad memory about these types of things w us kids.

She can't even rememer which one of us had which vaccines. She just remebers not going by the "schedule" the time. She claims my sister( her first) had all her vaccines, I(the middle) had a few or maybe none at all and the same with my brother( the youngest) she can't remember if he even had any. Alhthough a few years ago when my brother registered for college, he went to the clinic where we would of went as kids and they had NO records on him at all.
#90 of 232 Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM

I was bf until 18mos, exclusive I believe until around 6mos, my bro was also bf until about 2yo
vicky

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page