Formula Fed 159 40.25%
Combination BF FF 90 22.78%
Voters: 395. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2006, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was breastfed at the beginning . . . but when I was about 3 months old, there was a stretch of time where I had to be given many bottles over a period of a couple of weeks. After that, textbook nipple preference--went on a nursing strike and wouldn't have anything to do with the breast. Mom has always expressed regret that she didn't get to nurse me for longer. Little brother was BF for awhile, but also went to bottles fairly quickly--and had serious allergies/lactose intolerance, so was put on soy.

DH was breastfed for all of a couple of weeks, but because of the pain involved (we now know that he was/is tongue-tied, which was the likely cause of MIL's pain), he was switched to formula.

My mom is a big fan of breastfeeding and I am expecting no challenges from her on nursing this baby-to-be . . . MIL has, I think, convinced her that breastfeeding "just wouldn't work" for her (same thing with birth, actually), and may need some educating. But she knows not to mess with me on natural pregnancy/childbirth issues--she has known me since I was 14, and I have been planning on becoming a midwife for several years BEFORE that, so she is pretty comfortable with my crunchiness.

Interestingly, neither DH or I have any major health issues as a result of the FF--although DH has developed some weird unknown allergies in the last few years.

FIL, though . . . was born in a displaced person's camp in Germany, and his mother was told to give him bottles of powdered milk! When he developed diarrhea (I'm doubting that the water there was particularly clean/healthy) and got very, very sick from dehydration . . . the doctor at the camp put him on BUTTERMILK to get some weight back on him. FIL's mother is convinced, to this day, that the buttermilk saved his life . . . but FIL has TERRIBLE allergies to many, many things; wouldn't surprise me if it was due to the very early exposure to dairy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Breastfed for 6 mos, FF after that. I had allergies and asthma and my mom didn't know about elimination diet in the 70's. The doctor recommended soy formula and I did much better on it. I actually couldn't tolerate milk or milk products until I was about 8 so I stayed on soy baby formula that whole time.

My dh was BF for 2 mos and my MIL had some hormone problems that caused her milk to dry up. She was in India in the 70's. She made some formula (mixed some kind of powder with milk) and dh could not tolerate it at all. He also suffered from feeding aversions similar to my dd2 and was syringe-fed until he was 10 mos old because he would not take breast or bottle, vomited a lot, and gagged on solids when they tried to feed him. He finally took a bottle at 10 mos old and stayed on it until he was four. When her milk dried up with my SIL she sent for a cow and the baby got milk that way.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 01-18-2006, 03:49 PM

FF

When asked all I got out of mom was "It wasnt for me"

Later to find out that when my uncle was born g-ma nursed him, but he was intolerant of cows milk and deemed "allergic to breastmilk" so my g-ma didnt nurse my mom either. I really think that is where my mom made her decision. I was fed Pro-Sobee from birth as was my brother.

But I liked the idea of bfing Thankfully I had 2 aunts who nursed in front of me (each only once) abd it was a lasting impression

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 PM

My Mom nursed me for a year.
Then along came my sister 21 months later & she was nursed for the same maybe a little longer.
And my youngest sister was nursed for a little over 2 years my Mom told me recently.

And we were all mid to late 70's babies
And I know this isn't BF related but she CD'd all three of us too
Old 01-18-2006, 04:15 PM

Exclusively FF. My Mom "couldn't stand to sit still long enough" to bf. But my Mom is definitely not a spitfire of bustling energy, and loves her time to sit down in front of the tube with a cup of tea. Milk of all kinds also grosses her out. She won't even look at me when I bf DS. When DS sees me lift my shirt, and points and says "bobe" ("boob" - my preferred name for it... I know some are offended by this ) my Mom said she was "shocked."

I was violently allergic to milk. I was told that I "exploded" from several orifices after a few days of formula. So I was raised on soy formula. I have multiple allergies as do my siblings. I had multiple cases of bronchitis/pneumonia growing up, but I also attribute some of that to my mother's smoking.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM

ebf til I was 15 months - said I self weaned. I wouldn't take a bottle or paci but I did suck my thumb until I was 3?? My older sis was ff - she wouldn't take the breast. my mom said even though she tried and down to this day my sis and mom have issues with each other. With me, she tried and succeeded and woud NIP every where with me. This was mid 70's when it wasn't "popular" at all. I have people tell me they thought my mom was nuts because she would whip out her boob in church, at the store, at gatherings, etc.

I did have horrible ear infections as a kid still and would get a bad cold every winter. My ff older sis did not get any of that so go figure! My younger sis by 11 years was child led weaned at I think 3? and was sickly too - got pneumonia at 2. This was when my mom learned about homeopathics and our health got much better with no antibiotics.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM

I was BFed for about 6 months I think. My mom is a little vague on this. She BFed all five of her kids for around 6 months or so. I know my second brother nursed the longest at around a year. She says he never would have stopped if she hadn't weaned him. Which makes me sad that he was so attached to it and she made him quit but still we were 70s/80s babies so we were lucky to get BM at all. She even pumped so the youngest could have BM when she was born with a cleft palette and couldn't nurse. Now none of us were exclusively BFed for very long. I know I got solids by 3 months at the latest but I think it might have been earlier. And I remember there being formula in the house when my younger siblings were born. I think if my mom was going out she probably left a bottle of formula for them. I had horrible ear infections as did my younger sister (who had the cleft so that could have been part of it as well). I'm still nursing my oldest who had a terrible bout of ear infections from the time she was 14 months until she was about 22 months so the ear thing does seem to be more a family thing than a BFing thing. Most of my cousins needed tubes.

My mom did have natural childbirth (for the most part I think she did have a saddle block right at the end with me since I was breech and they thought they were going to have to use forceps I think) with her first three and then an emergency c-section due to hemmorhage caused by placenta previa and then another c-section for her last baby. We had all been very big and her uterus started to rupture. None of which has a thing to do with Bfing. :LOL It's funny because my mom was very unorthodox in some ways but she was a very very dettached parent. Big into CIO and spanking and fostering early independence. So there's not much that I take from her. But luckily she has been very supportive of my birthing and BFing even though they are very different from how she did birthing and BFing.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 PM

I was formula fed. My mother says it as because she had to work and it was just easier on everyone. No one is my family breastfed and I was actually encouraged not to. They all kept telling me that it is so painful and too much work and all that jazz. How would they even know when they never even tried. That alone made me more determined to do it because I felt like they were all just waiting for me to give up and get formula.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 PM

I was both BF and FF. According to my mom I was BF a little under a year but my dad says three months. Hmm My mom had to stop because she had parasites and had to take medicine that the Dr. said would get in the milk. They also said I didn't want to BF after awhile.

I really can't blame our moms' generation for their lack of breastfeeding. Doctors then really didn't encourage moms to BF like they do now. They didn't have the internet or nearly as many resources that we do now. DH's mom said her doctor told her that her "milk was bad". WTF? So she FF'd her first three boys, but decided to try BF with DH.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:55 AM

My mom breastfed me until about 4 weeks and then she put me on enfamil. I think it was a combination of not knowing how to do it and being unsure of herself. There's five of us all together and with each one she went a little longer. I'm the oldest and the next one, my brother, was nursed until he was about 6 weeks and my next brother, her 3rd child, was breastfed until he was 18 months old! Guess she got the hang of it. She then went on to breastfeed my twin sisters until they were 9 months old but she also supplemented them with formula. We all got started very early on runny solids. I think I was the earliest at 2 weeks old. My mom says she feels bad about it now but you do what you know!

On a side note, my mom had all 5 of us naturally, no drugs and she's VERY supportive of breastfeeding and even of my dd still nursing at over 3!
Old 01-19-2006, 03:43 AM

nak

my mom bfed all 4 of her kids for 3 months each, then switched to formula. i guess that was the cut off date back then (79, 80, 87, 89). however, i was allergic so she had to give me fresh goats milk until i was old enough for cows milk.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 AM

My mom had her first 3 kids in the '50s - she wanted to nurse her firstborn, but her mother was dying and she knew she just couldn't take care of her mom and nurse an infant. Her inlaws begged her to nurse, but they were supportive and helped with baby-care (including bottle feeds) at that very difficult time for her. (ps- her mil had birthed twins after walking a couple miles to the hospital in the snow, I am not making this up, and since it was during the depression and they had NO money, she breastfed the twins exclusively to 12 months, then introduced some solids and went on to nurse to 16 months!!! Go Grandmom!!!)

She didn't nurse the other 2 because she felt that she wanted to keep everything "equal".

I was born almost 20 years after her first. She said she really wanted to nurse me, but still felt more compelled to maintain a sense of equality amongst the kids. This makes me sad, but oh well.

All four of her births were "natural". She didn't tear or have an epis with 1st 3, then a "token" epis with me. My father was present at my birth. We shared a very special bond because of this.

My health? Well, lots of strep, tonsillitis, I have exertional asthma, but lots of that I feel was more because of all of the smoking that occurred around me as a baby. : bummer...

eta: btw, mom is really proud of me and Leo's nursing relationship. She is super-supportive and loves to watch us nurse!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 AM

I was formula fed. My mom breastfed my sister (her oldest child) for probably 4 to 6 months, although she began supplementing with formula when her doctor advised it (maybe at 2 or 4 months?) My sister was born in 1955. Mom formula fed my two brothers (those three all were 3 1/2 years apart) and then she formula fed me when I was born in 1970.

When she talks about ff me, she always says that my 15-year-old sister wanted to take care of me, and that she did "everything." She was on school vacation when I was born and she "moved into" the nursery and took over. (Great for bonding with mom, eh?!)

I was sick all the time as an infant and toddler. My mom says I was always finishing a course of antibiotics and then coming down with another infection and fever by the end of the week or so. I might have had reflux or something (they thought it was painful gas because I would scream to eat and then take the bottle and within a few seconds, I'd start screaming in pain. Evidently I became very suspicious of the bottle and weaned to a cup quite early--under 6 months.)

At (or close to) age two, the doctor told my mom I was a severely allergic child and prone to illness when he saw me yet again. He diagnosed another infection & prescribed another antibiotic. My family had just started using a line of vitamins and protein supplements, as well as natural/biodegradable household cleaners, and my mom had noticed "a difference" in herself. She was nervous about taking a chance with me, but she decided to hold off on filling the prescription and just give me vitamins. (They had a children's liquid multi, but she would also crush chewable vitamin C and calcium and some others, then mix them into a paste for me. I remember hating vitamins!!) Evidently, she watched me and I started getting better, so she never filled the prescription.

The next time I had to go to the doctor, it was for my school physical and I was starting kindergarten. My mom always claims that the vitamins turned me around, and that I was extremely healthy after that. Another factor might be the fact that my father stopped smoking shortly after I was born. At any rate, I don't remember being sickly at all. I had the chicken pox in 11th grade, and I had strep throat that year. Other than that, I was pretty healthy, and have been. A few colds when run-down (like recently! but mostly in college at the end of a term when I was getting zero sleep) but nothing really major.

So that's my saga.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:55 AM

I say combination because I was bf until about 6months and then put on condensed skim milk because I was fat, lol. My mom's ob was very supportive of bf and my mom has been supportive of me. Not so much that dd2 is approaching 2 years though.

I am very healthy, few colds and no allergies/asthma. My dh was ff and solids at 11 days He has had tubes in his ears, has allergies and a wierd immune system problem.

Having said that, my dd1 was ff after 6 weeks and is super healthy. Dd2 is bf and has a perpetually runny nose. Also dd1 is thin and dd2 is a chub. I don't know what the correlation is, it's probably not as simple as bf vs. ff.

Jen
Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM

I honestly think that genetics and environment play key factors in how healthy our kids grow up. I breastfed both my girls until 1yr old. Exclusively for the first 3-5mos. My oldest had very few colds until she was around 4 or 5 and then started getting alot of Bronchitis. I trully believe that was due to the mold and mildew lurking in our old wet fieldstone foundation. We've since replaced it with new concrete block and she's never had it since.
DD #2 had chronic ear infections until she was 2yo she was 1 infection away from having tubes in her ears. Her dad is the same way except he was raised on cow's milk. The ears are so susceptible at that age because the tubes are so straight it's hard to say what the cause was. Possibly genetic in her case as my brother and I never had that problem.
I took her to a chiropractor and he did Cranial massage and she didn't have another infection for quite some time afterwards.
Ds is the sinus infection guy. Took him to the allergist, didn't really find anything he was allergic to. BF him until he was 20mos. He's kind've grown out of the sinus thing especially this yr he's not had the same amount of colds.
Who knows. But on a whole I do like the benefits, the $ saved and bond built.
And I do believe that even though while nursing I had 3 chunky monkey's the weight melted off by the age of 4 and they are all strapping healthy kids that see the dr maybe once a yr usually for a physical for Homeschooling
vicky
Old 01-30-2006, 02:13 PM

I was exclusively breastfed until 6 months and then my mum started introducing solids such as grated apple very slowly. I must have been breastfed in total nearly one year, but night-weaned at 6 months.
I never had artificial milk and no pacifiers.
I did suck my thumb until 7 y.o.
I was never sick or ill (I am still really healthy and I think this is due to the breatmilk and good vegetarian diet I had until 12 y.o.).
Old 01-30-2006, 05:33 PM

I was FF'd from the start, as was my younger sib...my mother tried to breastfeed with my older brother, but gave up at the hospital...they kept all the babies in the nursery and brought DB to her only at set times to eat. They offered no help, just told her he wasn't getting enough. She was the only mother at the hospital trying to breastfeed.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:42 PM

I was FF'd from the start, as was my younger sib...my mother tried to breastfeed with my older brother, but gave up at the hospital...they kept all the babies in the nursery and brought DB to her only at set times to eat. They offered no help, just told her he wasn't getting enough. She was the only mother at the hospital trying to breastfeed.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM

I voted that I was bf and ff, but now that I've thought about it I was bf for three months and then straight to cow's milk, with cereal at 6 weeks . My Mom had to go back to work at three months so she just assumed she had to stop bfing. I think it makes her sad now that she sees her daughters nursing their babes for alot longer and being able to stay home with them for a year.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM

I was formula-fed...there was no question about it. That is just what my family "did". My grandmother formula-fed (on both sides of my family) all my aunts and uncles were formula-fed...this led to all my cousins being formula-fed (including myself). I have been the first since a LONG time ago to breastfeed my child. A decision I was glad I was independent enough from my family to make....it wasn't easy though. I got a ton of critisism and very little support...anyway, a long line of formula feeders here...but now growing a new breed of "booby babies"
Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 PM

I'll start at the beginning of my mother's story, I was the last of five so here ya' go...

my mom tried to breastfeed my brother who was born in 1976. she started with him but he had failure to thrive, he just would not gain any weight and started losing it, so she was told to switch hi to formula. she did and he started gaingin weight. i can't remember how long he was breastfed for though. then in 1978 she had my sister and wanted to breatsfeed, when she told the doctor he looked at her and ina tone, implying that she was about to abuse her child asked "why would you do that, when you can't make enough milk?" when my mom told me this you could see still how much that hurt her. she formula fed right from the start. in 1980 she had my sister but this time was part of LLL and much more informed. she breatsfed her for 18 months and weaned only b/c she was going to be having another baby soon (my mom still stonrgly believes that a younger sibling should get the breast to themselves and have that experience that the older child experienced, what about twins well....) in 1982 my twin sister and i werre born. we were breastfed until shortly before a year old. i am not sure wheter we self weaned i seem to recall her saying thatm or if in fact she weaned us.

my first sister who was never breastfed (although she does have a diffrent body type, bigger bones,bigger body, is quite overweight. i think it might have to do with a combination of the body type, the foprmula, and my father's emotional abuse to her). my sister who was breastfed for 18 months has allergies and asthma. my brother is healthy. my twin ister is healthy, I dappled in sports related asthma, but other then that am halethy. besides the 100% formula fed sister we are all thin to healthy weght.

courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:07 PM

I was bf til 27 months and born at home-this was in 1978. My parents were kind of "hippies" though. I refused solids til close to a year, per my mom.

She nursed all 4 of us well over a year, so nursing has always been completely normal to me.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM

I was entirely FF. I had colds and "stomach flus" a lot as a kid. But, both of my parents smoked in the house, too - I'm pretty sure that didn't help my immunity much.

My mom is very open-minded and is now a big supporter of breastfeeding after seeing many positive aspects of it from the BF relationship betw me and my daughter.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM

I was breastfed for one year. My little brother was breatfed for almost 5 years. My husband was breastfed for 6 months. We are in our mid thirties. I breastfeed my baby now and fed my older two kids for 2 1/2 years and 3 years.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:18 PM

I was breastfed for 6 months then switched to whole milk. Dh wasn't breastfed at all, not even the colostrum. We are in our early 20's. DD has been breastfeed almost 14 months and we are still going strong
Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 AM

I was breastfed to about 18 months, no formula. I started solids at 6 months and started getting some whole milk after a year. This was in the very early 80s and breastfeeding was far from popular! My mom also worked outside the home from when I was about 6 months old onward. Mom is an advocate of BFing and expects that I will breastfeed my own children.

That said, I had awful, frequent ear infections as a young child, and I am overweight as an adult (although the extra weight is due to my own poor choices that I'm now working on changing). Once I hit school age, I was generally a very healthy person, though. My younger brother was also breastfed to about a year and a half and he's lean and muscular. Both of us rarely get sick as adults and have excellent blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

My husband was the typical late 70s baby - 100% formula fed from birth. He had rather significant food allergies and sensitivities starting in infancy, some of which he mostly grew out of and some of which we still deal with today. He was also seriously underweight until puberty and to this day has trouble keeping weight on (although he is now considered to be "normal" on the charts).
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 AM

I just asked my mom the other night a question about when I started teething, and she got on a roll reading me the entire contents of my baby book!! So, I was pretty shocked to hear some of the details of my nutritional beginnings...

I was EBF for the first three months. Then, mom added a supplemental bottle of formula at night. By four months, I had ventured into rice cereal and was eating BANANAS for breakfast!! I was full fledged solids by 6 months, and she stopped nursing all together by about 7 months. I couldn't believe it!

DH's mom still can't understand why we 'feed DS so often' because he was FF. She says he eats too much and I just try to explain that EBF is different, etc.

Oh well, things sure were different then, huh!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 AM

I am the oldest of three children (I'm 25) and was breastfed for approximately 14 months. My siblings were also breastfed for about a year.

My DH (also 25) is the youngest of three and has a twin sister; I'm not sure how long she breastfed the oldest for, but I believe she breastfed the twins for 11-12 months.

I nursed DD for 19 months, and DS is turning 2 the day after tomorrow and still going strong!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 AM

I was FF...but there were extenuating circumstances. My mother was not certain she was going to keep me, she had me in partial foster through a church and actually up for adoption, due to the stress of a divorce she just emotionally couldn't bring herself to it.

However, she DID BF my half brothers from her 2nd marriage. From that I learned how wonderful BFing was and my stepfather was adamant about it himself...that's what they were made for he'd say.

I have since BF all of mine and will BF the next one. I have even pumped for a friend once when visiting as she was losing her milk. Also have consulted for a friend with a premie...unfortunately the nurses there didn't like that I had come to assist in breastfeeding/pumping and kinda gave me the eye as they shoved F down the baby's tube.

Orthodox Mama
Old 02-01-2006, 01:30 AM

I was formula fed because my mother was told it was cleaner, safer and better. My grandmother also told her that only poor white trash breastfed because they couldn't afford formula. Ugh.

User Tag List