Questions about NuvaRing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 2 week PP visit with my MW today, and we discussed birth control. I was on the mini-pill after I had my DS, but I worry about the effectiveness of it down the road when my DD starts weaning. The mini-pill is not supposed to be effective if you're not nursing, so I'd guess that it's not too effective when the child is weaning and down to nursing just a couple times a day.
She talked to me about NuvaRing, and said that it's a great method b/c it's effective whether or not you're nursing, there are low side-effects, it doesn't decrease your supply, etc. It sounds so great since I really feel like our family is complete at this point. But then I just read this on the NuvaRing website:

"Do not breast-feed while using NuvaRing®. Some of the medicine may pass through the milk to the baby and could cause yellowing of the skin (jaundice) and breast enlargement in your baby. NuvaRing® could also decrease the amount and quality of your breast milk."

Has anyone used NuvaRing while nursing? What's your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 09:02 PM

As far as I know you should NOT use the nuva ring while nursing. My mom is my midwife and when I went in for my 6 wk exam she basically gave the option of either the mini-pill or iud. I don't know the reasoning but the nuva ring, patch and combo birth control pills were not a safe option while nursing. It might be that it affects your milk supply or possibly that hormones transfer thru to baby? Maybe other's will chime in here but I wouldn't get one, especially if it says so right on the nuva ring site.

Good luck, hope you find something that works well and is safe for you and your nursing babe

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:05 PM

Nuvaring contains estrogen which a lot of caregivers are wary about giving to breastfeeding mothers. Genereally though this recommendation is altered to say that it is not recommended until the baby is at least 6 months old and started on solids -- this is primarily because any estrogen containing medication can potentially have a negative effect on your supply. However it is usually considered SAFE for mother and child.

Good reading on the topic of birth control:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

I intend to use Nuvaring when my fertility returns, but I used full-strength regular birth control pills after a certain point in my nursing relationships with both of my older children (both as birth control and for other reasons) and did not experience a significant supply drop and Nuvaring is a MUCH smaller dose (less than 1/2 that of your average BCP) of estrogen than BCPs.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 PM

I have used the NuvaRing since 12 weeks pp and am BFing my son, I wasn't comfortable with the mini pill effectiveness. The ring is a wonderful option, I haven't had any problems with it, my OB used it while nursing her DS, so I was comfortable with it.

Jenn

User Tag List