how much should a 14mos old be nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for all of you experienced mamas! I'm still nursing my 14mos old and am wondering whether I am nursing her enough. She doesn't seem to really want to nurse unless she wants to sleep or nap, or when she first wakes up. She eats solids very well (even with only 3 teeth!), but we haven't really given her any cow's milk because she gets this transient rash around her chin and cheek area that starts about 15-30min after she has the milk and lasts about that long as well. She tolerates yogurt and cheeses well with no rash. When I'm at work, she takes about 250ml to 300ml of EBM usually. Is DD getting enough milk (for calcium and other nutrients)?

TIA for any advice/experience you gurus can share with me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-28-2003, 11:20 PM

At 14 months, I would think your daughter is fine to nurse as often as or as little as she wishes. Around this same time, I adopted a 'don't offer, don't refuse' basis with DS... naptime and bedtime were always "gimmes" though.

As for the issue of calcium, cow's milk (contrary to many mainstream doc's opinions), is not a requirement for adequate calcium. My son still won't touch the stuff. As long as she takes other sources well (cheese, yogurt, etc.), then that's great.

14 months is a real wonderous time for young toddlers. I know mine at this age backed off quite a bit as well--so much to see, no time to nurse, ma!. Of course, it's all relative... at two years, he still nurses about 4 or 5 times per day.

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#3 of 3 Old 01-30-2003, 12:53 PM

It depends on if you want to wean soon. If she is sensitive to cow's milk, and you want to continue to nurse for another year or more, you could lessen the amt of table foods she gets and offer more EBF or nursing when you are home. Studies have shown, breastmilk, ideally, should be the main source of nutrition until the third b-day!

Some toddlers like their table foods a lot, but then end up weaning before it is good for them to do so. Children are actually meant to receive breastmilk for 3-6 years. Age 6 is when theri secnd molars come in and their own immune systme is fully developed.

The cow's milk products she can tolerate do have some nutrients, but too much of others, such as sodium and potassium, and of course, no immune factors.

So, weigh the evidence, and make your own choice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page