Would you ever consider a boob job/lift/reduction? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you ever consider a boob job?
Yes, I would and I can afford one 18 13.14%
Yes, I would but I could never afford one 16 11.68%
No, I love my boobs just the way they are 37 27.01%
No, even though I hate my boobs I could never surgically mess with them 22 16.06%
On the fence about it 26 18.98%
Other (please explain) 18 13.14%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I miss my perky 34B's.......after years of nursing these milk bags are like whole different set. Post-mommihood boobies...Yikes. See, I love the human body and I can see how it should be a "badge of courage" so to speak to wear these droopy things around with pride. But on the other hand, I LOVE CLOTHES (I collect vintage and have some great pieces) and many of the styles that I want to wear are not compatible with my large chest. (Don't tell me to wear them anyway-- I have seen What Not to Wear and I truley believe in wearing things that flatter, not fatter!)

So all you natural mama's, be honest, would you ever get a boob job? (a reduction or lift is what I am referring to--i think we can all agree that silicone implants are a no-no)

(I am not asking for approval, I just thought I'd spark some discussion, I'm sure the answer will vary greatly...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 PM

If I did anything it would be a reduction. I was a 36 D before I had my DC. I would never add sillicone or anything like that but a nip here or a tuck there might not be so bad.
#3 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 08:33 PM

The only way I would consider it is if I knew, 100% for a fact that I was done having babies. I was very small chested before getting pregnant. I didn't even fill out an A cup. It wasn't the fact that I was teased, that bothered me, but the fact that I didn't feel very "womanly", if that makes sense. And I couldn't fill out any nice shirts.

Since getting pregnant, I've grown as large as double D (during pregnancy), and have remained at least a B (but usually a C) while nursing. I really like my new look. So if they were to shrink back down to their original, pathetically small size after nursing was all done, then yes, I would consider getting it done. I doubt I actually would (lack of funds, fear of surgery, being the main reasons), but I'd be open to the idea if the opportunity presented itself.
#4 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 09:15 PM
DBZ

I voted yeah but can't afford it. I hope to get insurance to pay for the reduction some day.

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#5 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 PM

No way, no day.
#6 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM

I would not add to my chi chi's but I will certainly lift them when Jack is done. I am all done having children, I had a hysterectomy just a couple of months ago.
#7 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I knew I was done having children (and I'm not certain yet) I would consider a breast lift. I wouldn't want saline or silicone implants. The thought of having a foreign material in my body for a purely cosmetic reason scares me. A lift on the other hand doesn't seem as bad though I do realize it's major surgery with all the complications that entails.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#8 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Never. What message would this send my own daughter about self-love and self-esteem?
#9 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 10:03 PM

I have had a reduction. I had it 10/29/03, and my dd was born 10/29/04. I have successfuly bfar'd her with the help of fenugreek, and MMSB. I think I will have a lift done when I am done having kids. My breasts are misshapen from the reduction. I was a 40G and went to a 38C. Now I am a 40E again. I've also put on quite a bit of weight, and would like to trim down before going under again. I dont know if I will be brave enough to do it again though.
T

hh2.gif

#10 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 10:30 PM

I voted the "no, hate my boobs" option, but "hate" is a far too strong word... they're okay but if I had a choice, I would not have chosen these ones. BUT to me surgery is not a choice at all.

Here are some links to show why: (beware, some of them are quite graphic)

Silicone Holocaust - Graphic

Breast Implant Horror (article)

By the way, saline implants are encased in a silicone bag which have indeed made many, many women sick.

Hollywood breast implant horror stories

Courtney Love's rippled implant

Kari Wuhrer's story - she removed her implants

Photos, very graphic

Page full of anti-implant links

48 reasons not to get a boob job
#11 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_nomad
See, I love the human body and I can see how it should be a "badge of courage" so to speak to wear these droopy things around with pride. But on the other hand, I LOVE CLOTHES (I collect vintage and have some great pieces) and many of the styles that I want to wear are not compatible with my large chest.
Why not just get a better bra???
#12 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 11:10 PM

I voted "on the fence" but I want to elaborate. I would never ever ever consider any sort of augmentation. I would however consider a lift if it was a relatively safe procedure (I don't know, haven't looked into it yet.) My breasts are completely different -- one high and perky, the other hanging way down. i don't have a problem with sagging in itself, but I prefer to go braless, and for one to sag and the other not looks absolutely ridiculous. I realize there is a great variation of normal, but this does not feel normal to me, it feels like a deformity. I feel like I imagine I might feel if I had a stroke that paralyzed part of my face so that one side hung while the other was animated. It just looks wrong.

I don't know. Maybe I'll feel differently as I get older. It's certainly not on my list of priorities, so there's a good chance I would never get to the point of having extra money to spend on it. But if I had the money and felt confident that it would not cause me problems somewhere on down the road, I would consider it.
#13 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 11:20 PM

I had breast reduction surgery 5 years ago at 18. My breasts were so large that I don't even know what letter size they could have been (I bound them to keep them under control, as no bra I could find would fit). The rest of me was/is a normal size. My breasts caused me a lot of physical and emotional pain, and demolished my formerly active, athletic life. My mother had had the surgery, too, and urged me to do it. Insurance covered it 100%. Around 2lb were removed from each breast, bringing me to a 34 C.

The surgery completely changed my life for the better. I felt like my old self again: my body bounced back and my shoulder/back pain ended, I took up running again after years of being unable, and emotionally my whole life turned around. I just cried and cried tears of happiness for the first weeks after, despite all the pain of recovery (which was significant). My scars are extensive and look awful, but that has never bothered me.

Alas, BF, and children at all, were very much not on my radar at the time. I had been FF and I guess I thought that was fine, though I don't remember thinking about it much at all. As soon as I did begin to think about children, though, BF became extremely important to me. I have fought very hard to BFAR successfully. We're doing great now, but we had a really difficult start, and I have cursed the surgery many, many times.

BR surgery is a very big deal, and I would never recommend that anyone even *consider* it unless she were definitely, absolutely, beyond any doubt finished having children.

Sorry to go on and on. It's an issue very near to my heart these days.

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#14 of 60 Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 PM

No, I wouldn't. Mainly because I am way too cheap to spend money on that. There are lots of much funner things I could see myself spending those $4000 on!

Plus I still have to get used to my new boobs. I am 5'10" and this is my first pregnancy. Because I am so tall my belly didn't show for the longest time. My boobs however did and people started talking about my 'boob job' at work. How hilarious!

When I bought yet another new bra today I was doubtful it would fit but yes... looks like I am wearing a 40D right now (usually a 36C). I certainly don't want them any bigger (and if they are droopy in the end there only will be two choices: fill them with implants or take out skin and be left with a long scar. Neither seems appealing.)
#15 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 AM

I had thought about it, but then thought what would look worse the saggy boobs or the nasty scars left from surgery? I go with saggy boobs.
Joli
#16 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I voted the "no, hate my boobs" option, but "hate" is a far too strong word... they're okay but if I had a choice, I would not have chosen these ones. BUT to me surgery is not a choice at all.

Here are some links to show why: (beware, some of them are quite graphic)

Silicone Holocaust - Graphic

Breast Implant Horror (article)

By the way, saline implants are encased in a silicone bag which have indeed made many, many women sick.

Hollywood breast implant horror stories

Courtney Love's rippled implant

Kari Wuhrer's story - she removed her implants

Photos, very graphic

Page full of anti-implant links

48 reasons not to get a boob job
Again we're taking mostly about reduction not bigger fakies. But thanks for those links--FREAKY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
Why not just get a better bra???
The best bra out there can only do so much with that much flesh.....Not about how high they are, when they are big there are a lot of great designs that you just can't wear (are there any other fashionista's out there who can back me on this....). Fashion design is important to me, I would like to pursue it when the kids are older.
#17 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 03:12 AM

I'm realizing daily how much of an effect having kids can have on your body. I'm happy to have my baby boy but I really long for my pre-baby body. Really. I don't believe in cosmetic surgery and actually, I'm for avoiding all types surgery within reason. I wouldn't put myself through the pain if I didn't really need to. If it would add to your self-esteem, make you feel better/happier, I guess you really should go on ahead and do what you need to do. Me, I'm trying to learn that my self esteem should come for inside. Much easier said than done. just my .02.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#18 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_nomad
The best bra out there can only do so much with that much flesh.....Not about how high they are, when they are big there are a lot of great designs that you just can't wear (are there any other fashionista's out there who can back me on this....). Fashion design is important to me, I would like to pursue it when the kids are older.
: As a 34D/DD "fashionista" who LOVES clothes & also used to collect vintage clothing, I'll back you up on this. 100%. I also have a BS degree in apparel design & vintage clothing has always been an avid interest of mine. Design options are really limited when you have to support magnificent mammaries.

Top/dress designs are just limited when you have a large chest. And that's for **contemporary** clothing, not just vintage!! You *cannot* wear tiny tank top straps, go strapless, backless, off-the-shoulder, one-shoulder, shrug-shoulder, wear most halter tops, spaghetti straps, etc...without having the "dreaded" bra straps showing. Also, can't get buttoned shirts/blouses to fit properly & empire waistlines just hit in the middle of the boob, not underneath (like they're supposed to). Most bras that are available (and/or affordable) in larger sizes have 1"-3" wide straps, for goodness' sake! Almost every top that you consider to buy HAS to accomodate that - unless you don't particularly care about bra straps showing. I've gotten used to my straps showing, but I prefer my summer tanks with thin straps, and not having 2" of glaring grandma-white straps blinding me.

Now when you add vintage clothing into the picture, there's a number of pieces that you acquire that were custom-fitted, hand-made (again, custom-fitted), and well...just don't accomodate the more bodacious of us...and remember, I'm "only" a 34D/DD...which can be considered relatively "small" ....and if **I** have trouble with clothing & fit (contemporary & vintage)...imagine the horrors my larger sisters have to go thru!!

As for boob job...well...if the procedure didn't gross me out, I'd get a lift. I I fantasize about being able to go around braless in the summer...just a tank with the built-in "support" (hardy har har ) bra... but first, I'd travel - getting my body surgically augmented is really low on my list.
#19 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 10:34 AM

I would most definately have a reduction!!! Money is def an issue, but know that I need to do it soon because my shoulders are in constant pain and my back kills, I am self concious all the time. I am very small framed and a DD to DDD depending on the bra. I have a surgeon picked out and did have the appt schedualed, but it interfered with the start of school so I think I am gonna try again and get it done. I will feel better about my self. My boyfriend is totally against it , but oh well!!!
#20 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 AM

I have thought that I may want a lift some day when I knew I was done having babies, if I hit a jackpot of cash! But my brests have changed considerably! When you are done BFing they look aweful. It take at least a good year till the "bounce back". Dh was just pointing out to me the other night that they looked very perky & not droopy like the had for so long. So there may be hope.

BTW before having kids I was a 36 D now I'm a 34 C depending on the bra. I don't mind that they got smaller, as long as they are not hanging down. So I'm thrilled that they look young again. It was very depressing I always wore a sports bra to bed, because it made me feel like an old lady to have them hanging! I'm in my mid twenties! I say give it time before making any major decisions!
#21 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM

Yes, once I'm done with kids, I would like a reconstruction & lift on the other one. But I just *HATE* surgery. Don't know if I could be 'away' from my kids that long...

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#22 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 11:08 AM

well, after all my babies are born, fed and finished nursing...perhaps in my 50's I would consider having a major reduction. I guess I am a bit bizzare (my dh things so) but they would serve no purpose keeping them bodacious (presently 48d)
I would try to lose weight first, then to ease any back pain- get down to a b or c cup.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#23 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 11:45 AM

Nope, I could never have any kind of surgery. I've got a mole (that has been checked by a dermatologist and is fine) that I want gone, but I can't even think about it without feeling sick to my stomach. No way could I ever get surgery.
#24 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Bombshell
: I prefer my summer tanks with thin straps, and not having 2" of glaring grandma-white straps blinding me.

amen, sister! my post pregnancy boobs are hovering in the 34H/I range...normal is solidly in the 34DD...alas, in high school i had a 32B bod that I hated, wanted boobs more than anything, apparently I wished hard enough cuz' I sure got them, and now I would love to go back down...That said, I voted on the fence...i don't think i could ever really justify reduction, for the cost, the pain, the recovery, and honestly, I'm not that uncomfortable (back, shoulders, etc) I just would like to wear the cutey stuff again DH and I often comment light-heartedly on a "lift" after we're done having kiddos, but I don't know a darn thing about them, what it takes, how invasive, etc. and I'm not sure I would go through with it even then!

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#25 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 01:27 PM

I voted other ........
I would not get a boob job because they have changed so many times over the years I know that it would be impossible for me to predict what they will look like once i stop having babies and lactating.
I've been big, medium and before #3 I was even a perky 34B for the first time since i was a young teen.I look forward to what the future holds..............
#26 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Bombshell
: As a 34D/DD "fashionista" who LOVES clothes & also used to collect vintage clothing, I'll back you up on this. 100%. I also have a BS degree in apparel design & vintage clothing has always been an avid interest of mine. Design options are really limited when you have to support magnificent mammaries.

Top/dress designs are just limited when you have a large chest. And that's for **contemporary** clothing, not just vintage!! You *cannot* wear tiny tank top straps, go strapless, backless, off-the-shoulder, one-shoulder, shrug-shoulder, wear most halter tops, spaghetti straps, etc...without having the "dreaded" bra straps showing. Also, can't get buttoned shirts/blouses to fit properly & empire waistlines just hit in the middle of the boob, not underneath (like they're supposed to). Most bras that are available (and/or affordable) in larger sizes have 1"-3" wide straps, for goodness' sake! Almost every top that you consider to buy HAS to accomodate that - unless you don't particularly care about bra straps showing. I've gotten used to my straps showing, but I prefer my summer tanks with thin straps, and not having 2" of glaring grandma-white straps blinding me.

Now when you add vintage clothing into the picture, there's a number of pieces that you acquire that were custom-fitted, hand-made (again, custom-fitted), and well...just don't accomodate the more bodacious of us...and remember, I'm "only" a 34D/DD...which can be considered relatively "small" ....and if **I** have trouble with clothing & fit (contemporary & vintage)...imagine the horrors my larger sisters have to go thru!!

As for boob job...well...if the procedure didn't gross me out, I'd get a lift. I I fantasize about being able to go around braless in the summer...just a tank with the built-in "support" (hardy har har ) bra... but first, I'd travel - getting my body surgically augmented is really low on my list.
thank you B52bombshell!! You know ehat i am saying. one of my favorite looks right now that i wish I could pull off if a turtleneck with a feminine sleeveless top or sweater tank over the top but it adds way to much fabric to that area. as the ladies from What not to Wear say never wear turtle neck with big boobs b/c it makes them look like they are grwoing from your neck . by the way i am also a 34DD. my other problem is that i want to wear waist belts (acsentuate the curves, ya know) but there is not enough space between the waist and where the breasts begin. so yeah there are limitations for sure.

oh and i've totally heard that after nursing you go down a size than your pre-nursing days. poor deflated milk bags......

so yeah, who knows what size i'll be after i'm done with having babies. the shape sure will never return....
#27 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 02:38 PM

I would never consider plastic surgery for anything unless I was in a bad accident or had some kind of disease where I was going to be disfigured. I will never let anyone cut up my body for any other reason. No way, no how.
#28 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I voted "yes and I can afford one" because I'm pretty sure my insurance will cover it. I'm currently wearing a 36K- no typo- that's 7 sizes bigger than a D cup! I'm seriously considering it, not because I'm uncomfortable with the body G-d gave me, but because I have major back and neck pain from the weight of my breasts. I'm probably done having babies, so when DS is fully weaned I'll get a referral to a plastic surgeon.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#29 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I didn't vote because I didn't know if you specifically meant augmentation or lift. I want a reduction when I am done having children because of the severe back pain my breasts cause me.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#30 of 60 Old 01-20-2006, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I had the greatest boobs before having kids. They were a 36 D or DD, really perky and well-shaped. Very impressive. While nursing, they are pretty saggy and veiny and full of broken capillaries and irritated skin. Not so attractive. But for the 6 months when I wasn't nursing, they did spring back almost into shape - still saggier, though. So I have hope that when I am done with kids, they will look okay again. I know they will never look like what they did when I was 23. And that's okay. Cosmetic surgery scares me b/c of the scarring and what if they came out uneven? That is my fear with any cosmetic surgery. So, no way I'd get surgery.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page