I'm SICK...need some hugs and reassurance. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-29-2003, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the first time in over a year, I have a nasty cold. It's in my throat, my chest, my ears hurt...I'm miserable. Thank god we're staying at my mother's place right now. She's been a great help!

But of course my exclusively BF'd, never-had-a-bottle, DD is an issue. She isn't showing any signs of being sick yet. Mum asked why she wouldn't get my virus in my milk. I'm secretly wondering how often a BF'd baby picks up colds from her mama. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets sick, but yet I also don't expect her to. And I'm not sure why, except that... I just trust my body, as I always have.

DH and Mum have to bring her to me in bed to nurse and then take her away (which I love b/c I get to spend some nice time with her without having to get up) and I wonder in down moments if I've done her a disservice by not pumping up a huge "virus-free" stash, and not teaching her to get EBM from a sippy cup yet (it was on my list of things to do, lol) [guilt, guilt, guilt]

I had nightmares of having to go to the hospital and they wouldn't let me keep my nursling with me so they gave her formula and my milk dried up. I woke up so upset I almost bawled...being sick was never an issue of protecting my child before, KWIM? Brings a whole new dimension to it.

I just need some hugs and some support in my belief that my body will still look after DD. I've been drinking lots of water to ease my fears that my body will make less milk while I'm so sick. So far DD seems fine. I'll still make lots of milk, right? And it won't be "virus-laden" milk, right?

thanks for joining my pity party

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-29-2003, 02:30 PM

I've had the same awful nightmare a million times -- of being in the hospital and baby being taken away I think because it actually happened to me when ds was born, but still -- it is one of those things I can't shake.

Nope -- she's not going to catch your virus via. your milk! She'll get the antibodies your body is making, and she'll probably be resistant to your illness. Neither of my nurslings ever ONCE caught anything from me.

Drink lots of water and your milk supply will be fine. Maybe even great -- because you are laying around so much and nursing often.

Hope you feel better soon!
#3 of 5 Old 01-29-2003, 02:42 PM

ANTIBODIES ANTIBODIES ANTIBODIES!! They are in your milk, and they are your friend! If your baby gets sick, she will likely have a much milder case, and there's good odds she won't get sick at all. Your milk is all good!

I hear you on the fear of ending up in the hospital and not being able to nurse, though - I have that fear every time I try to cross the street in this crazy town! And I have a freezer stash, because I work, but I would still hate to be separated for any length of time.

Being sick is no fun at all - I hope you feel much, much better soon!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2003, 06:24 PM

I hope you are feeling better soon!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-30-2003, 11:27 AM

Keep nursing!!! I know how awful it is to be really sick with a baby to take care of. You're protecting her with your commitment to breastfeeding. My babe hasn't caught ANY of the nasty stuff I've had. Lots of liquid, lots of rest, and a vaporizer for you, and plenty of milk for Emily! Hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page