Pumping and airports...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is for a friend of mine...

Anyone ever pump in a public airport? I'm going to HAVE to do it in the airport on our way to and from Mexico next week. But airports have those automatic flush toilets and no solid seat lids. And the double pump I rented has to be plugged in, so I can't do it discreetly on the plane. Any suggestions?

Her little one is 8 months old and they are going for a few days for a wedding...

I only pumped here and there so I didn't have much advice and the pump I had worked on batteries too if needed...

Thanks mamas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw a hand pump on clearance at Target last night for about $15. Something like that might be an ok short term solution.

Ask at a customer counter if there is a lounge or more private room where you can pump. Can't hurt to ask, and they might be able to set you up somewhere.

Jennifer
#3 of 4 Old 02-01-2006, 10:21 PM

I've done it several times. I have a Medela PIS Advanced so I was able to hook it up to a battery pack. I always plugged in when I could to save on battery power though/

The first time was in Newark airport - NOT bfing friendly there! I had to pump in a handicap stall with some girl throwing up in the stall next to me. ugh... It felt so dirty in there that I wound up tossing the milk. I was on a full cross country flight so I pumped in the cramped airplane bathroom by sitting on the toilet seat (lid closed) and balancing the pump on my lap. I didn't use a plug here but I'm pretty sure there was one in the bathroom.

I arrived at Orange County airport which had a nice baby hanging room in the women's bathroom so I used that to pump again. Used a plug there.

I also pumped in Louisville airpot by using th family bathroom. Also used a plug there.

My boss pumped in the airport with a plug in pump. She wound up sticking the pump into her shirt and pumping at the sinks (in full view of everyone but turned away). THat's the only place she could find a plug. She just pumped and dumped though to keep up her supply.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#4 of 4 Old 02-02-2006, 03:13 AM

I used my Avent Isis in the airports and on the plane (covered with my jacket and no one was the wiser).

I carried on the electric pump but didn't use it til my destination.

Worked well, but lots to carry.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page