Having major breastfeeding trouble :( - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
lori810's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping someone can help with some suggestions here...

I am nursing my almost 6 mo. old DD and am having major trouble with one nipple. It's been hurting for a month or so, and for the last couple of weeks has gotten really bad - it bleeds all the time and looks like the nipple has sort of opened up, like it has a big hollow area in the middle. It hurts unbelievably bad to nurse her with it. The other nipple is fine - maybe a little sore but I think thats because it's getting worked doubletime since I am trying not to nurse much on the other side.

I had this same issue with DD#1 but not quite as bad. I thought it was thrush and did everything under the sun to get rid of it - gentian violet, nystatin, diflucan (3 rounds of it!) and none of it ever worked. The pain would come and go.

I also had an episode of this when DD#2 was younger, maybe a month or so old, and also did the thrush remedies. They didn't work, but then about a month later the pain just went away.

It is so bad that if I nurse her on that side, she gets covered in blood ( ) and I have to grit my teeth to get through it.

I would call my OB but so far she just seems confused by it and the only idea she has is nystatin and diflucan which don't seem to help. I put in a call to a LLL volunteer who is hopefully going to get back to me soon.

What to do? Should I call a lactation consultant? Where do I find one? I know there was one at the hospital I delivered but do I make an appt.? Is it something I would go through insurance for?

Any suggestions are welcome!
lori810 is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Anguschick1's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Up to my eyeballs in TF GFCFEF
Posts: 2,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry, I can't help you w/the pain, but here's a listing of IBCLC's (International Board Certified Lactation Consultants) in Colorado;

Good luck Mama! s
Anguschick1 is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
crysmomofthree's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sorry you are going through this. I am not sure I have any good suggestions for you.

The way you say its opened up is it maybe an abscess? from an infected plugged duct?
I had an absess on the side of my breast from my reoccuring mastitis that didn't get treated properly with ds#2

I don't really have any other suggestions. Here we call up the public health department and make appointments with their lactation consultants (who aren't very knowledgeable) or maybe a midwife.

goood luck
crysmomofthree is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
wtchyhlr's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lori - Where in CO are you? If you're down herein Colorado Springs, we've got a Lactation Consultant business on Academy and Flintridge..... in the Bally's parking lot.
wtchyhlr is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
lori810's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Joy, I am near Boulder. too bad! Any suggestions for a LC near me?
lori810 is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Ruthla's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 43,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My guess is that either it's a VERY virulent strain of yeast, or it's bacterial or viral in origin (ie, something other than yeast.)

I'd nurse her from the unnaffected breast as much as possible and get medical treatment for the affected side. This sounds like it's too far gone to handle on your own.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
Ruthla is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Quirky's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 11,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that you should definitely see a doctor. See if you can find a breast surgeon or someone more experienced then your OB.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quirky is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 17,698

32 members and 17,666 guests
agentofchaos , aparent , cryswilkins , Deborah , dovergirl , emmy526 , Erica Sandwall , girlspn , greenemami , happy-mama , jamesmorrow , Janeen0225 , Katherine73 , Lydia08 , Michele123 , Mirzam , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , profe , rachieface , RollerCoasterMama , Springshowers , sren , sunwillshine , TheChainedAngel , zebra15 , zoeyzoo
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.