Breast pain at site of old infection. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-05-2003, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been nearly five months since my second ds weaned. We had a rough battle with mastitus--five times in the first six months. I'm still experiencing occasional pain near the area of the infection.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

I spoke to my LC and she could only recommend that I see my OB, as she might want to run a mamogram to take a look.

For the record, I never experienced mastitus with first ds and had no difficulties when he weaned.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.
#2 of 8 Old 02-09-2003, 11:20 AM

bumping this up-can anyone help?
#3 of 8 Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?

I've got an appointment next Tuesday to see my OB.

The lack of response to my post is becoming worrysome. Please help.
#4 of 8 Old 02-15-2003, 12:36 PM

Sorry, I totally missed this thread--twice!!!

Hmmm, an old war injury, huh? Sure, go get a mammogram to rule out stuff, maybe they will rec an ultrasound too.

If there is still some kind of inflammation, maybe boosting your immune system with herbal remedies would help? Echinacea, etc. If there is an abcess, the doc can drain it. Hope it isn't that serious.

If they find if to be a lingering infection, they will probably want to give antibiotics, so of course, take acidophilous if you go on antibiotics.

I know some moms have lots of help taking lecithin spplements for repeated breast infections, too. You might have a kinky duct or two, where some bacteria built up and never really left.

What did you do to treat before when you were having them? Did you contact LLL or an LC at the time?
#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2003, 09:24 AM

I had mastitis 4 times in the first three months or so, I found that I would get a residual bruised feeling where-ever I had an infection, or even a blocked duct. for me this could last up to two weeks, though usually less. What you are describing sounds beyond that though. I hope you get some useful insight from your OB?
#6 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. My OB said she thinks there is some fibrocystic tissue in there and it's hard to say if that caused all the mastitus or if the mastitus caused the fibrocystic tissues. She doesn't think it is serious and wants me to keep track of when it is painfull, like, how it corresponds to having my period. . . .

DaryLLL, I'm in a breastfeeding support group that is great! Honestly, though, I didn't get a lot of good advise at the time. I was so sick no one knew what to do with me. My immune system was zapped. I took tons of antibiotics. Yuck! And I used massage and warm cotton compresses. BTW: Can you reccomend a good tea with Echinacea?

Thanks to those of you who chimed in! I'll keep you posted.
#7 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 08:56 PM

Let me ask you a few more questions.

You say it's been 5 months since the last nursing? How long has it been since the last infection (or conversely, how long did you nurse altogether)? If it hasn't been that long since your last infection, did you wean b/c the infections were so bad?

Is your immune systme still "zapped?" Why did you get so run down? Were you well nourished and hydrated? Lots of stressors in your life? Depression?

So, if your immune system is still down (and antibiotics can challenge your ability to heal yourslef naturally) you need to:

Pay real good attn to your diet. Whole foods, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, omega 3 oils, etc.

Take a good multi-vitamin. Many women with repeated plugs or mastitis get relief from taking lecithin.

Echinacea is good to take in pill form. Ask at the health food store. Usually you take them for 14 days or so, take off 10 days, then repeat. This increases white blood cell activity.

If having any yeast infections from the antibiotics, take acidophilous.

Do yourself a google search on fibro-cystic disease.

HTH
#8 of 8 Old 02-24-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, DaryLLL!

I actually managed to nurse through all bouts with mastitus. If I hadn't had a good experience with ds1, I would have never made it as long as I did. Ds2 weaned mid September last year after 21 months. So it's been nine months since the last infection.

I was on bed rest five weeks including a week stay in the hospital with ds2 for early labor. He was born at 38 weeks. (There is no clear explination for my early labor except that I am of small stature.) I was quite supprised at how depleated my energy was after the hospital stay. I think all that time in bed did me in. I simply didn't have the energy to be awake 18 hours a day to nurse a babe and care for my then two-year-old.

My OB diagnosed PPD at my post follow-up. So, you see I was a mess. I didn't start coming out of this funk until around 15 months post. I have regained my health for the most part.

I found this great reference for anyone whose been following this thread:
Natural Solutions for Fibro-Cystic Breasts

I'm going to look for some Fibro Cystic tonic and Womens tonic to help move the fibrus tissues out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page