I am finally healed!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-14-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to post motivation for those of you suffering with sore nipples/cuts. I had deep cuts on both sides that developed during the first week after birth. At 2 months they were still open sores which I had been putting APNO on daily to prevent infection (and it still hurt to latch on). At that point a lactation consultant suggested calendula and I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it myself as it works great on diaper rash and mild excema. One week later the smaller cut was healed and one month later the larger, deeper one is completely closed. I am amazed as I never thought it could heal while I was still nursing as it would be stretched open so wide every time I nursed. Nursing is a dream now!
#2 of 6 Old 02-14-2006, 01:04 PM

Isn't WONDERFUL when you realize it doesn't hurt any more? Here's to years of happy breastfeeding for you!

-Angela
#3 of 6 Old 02-14-2006, 01:06 PM

Calendula worked wonders on my nipples that were traumatized by months of recurring thrush! I second the reccomendation!

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#4 of 6 Old 02-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Hey, that's a great idea! Is it OK for baby to ingest? Can I put it on my sore nipples even if there's no cut? Is it good for tenderness, blisters, etc?
#5 of 6 Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 PM

Please give us more details!!! I am EP'ing after having deep wounds for six months. I'm healing, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get DS back to nursing, and he's getting about 8 oz of formula a day b/c I can't pump enough!

Is it a cream, an extract, do you have to wash it off?

Thanks!!!
#6 of 6 Old 02-15-2006, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I will tell you what I can. The LC recommended calendula balm (I assume because it would probably stay on the cut better) but I had the cream already at home so I just used that - I had purchased it at a health food store and the contents says it contains "extract of calendula 4%". I had been using it for mild diaper redness and it clears that up really fast. I didn't worry about baby ingesting it as the cream soaks in right away and the rest rubs off on my bra. I used it after feeding (air dry first) as often as I could remember to. It could be just coincidence but I tell you these cuts were not healing at all before and I was amazed to watch them start to heal significantly each day. As I said I never thought they would heal as I didn't see how the two edges could ever "knit" back together as they were never touching. But what happened is skin began to regrow over the open area and I could see it close more each day. Now my baby is not a terribly frequent nurser now so that has probably helped as well but I had never stopped nursing during the healing period. Now I can nurse in any position again and he can latch himself on and it's painfree. Those of you who have suffered with this know how amazing this is that's why I had to share this in case it may help someone else. Feel free to PM me if I haven't been clear enough.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page