overweight BF baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2006, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
p.s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've checked for past threads on this but didn't see anything...

From what I understand, a BF baby will stop eating when full so "fat" or too many calories is rare.
DS is BF at night and on weekends, but during the day he takes EBM in a bottle. He drinks alot less during the day than I express, but he has developed a double chin, chubby abd, and pudgy thighs and arms, still within the standard of cute, and by no means the chunky look that formula fed babies have (speaking generally) but this kid was stick skinny, boney butt when he was born. His weight and height are 90% for age. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 03:15 PM

I'm not sure why you're worried about this. Many babies are chubby. Many babies are not. Many babies are in between.
I once saw an exclusively breastfed 6 mo old boy who had to wear size 2T pants b/c he was so chunky. He weighed 25 lbs.

Your baby is breastfed and gaining weight. They do that.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah, lots and lots of bf babies are super chunks. Many of the chunky babies I knew during my daughter's infancy became slim toddlers once they started moving around.

Either way, you're feeding him good stuff! He's growing like he ought to. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:39 PM

My dd was in the 95th percentile for weight until she hit 12 months and started walking more. It's not a big deal, and all babies are different as far as weight. I wouldn't worry.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:22 PM

My DD was totally chubby for a while. She was in the 97th percentile on the chart at around 3 months (and up there for a while). I think those charts may have been set up with a larger sample of formula fed babies and, from what I've been told, breastfed babies can grow a bit faster in the earlier months, so they seem "chubbier".

My DD is now 1 1/2 and is a perfectly healthy sized toddler.

I would not worry about your baby gaining weight at this stage ... they are supposed to be chubby as infants. And they are sooooo cute that way!!!! Keep nursing away.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:24 PM

my dd is 5 months (just about) and weighs 18lbs 11 0z. EBF. i don't mind,shes a chunker but i know shell grow into it

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 02-14-2006, 05:55 PM

My daughter sounds a lot like your son -- I work during the day and she'll take maybe 4 oz from a bottle, then nurse all night. She's 7 months and weighs about 24 pounds.

I think I read somewhere that night-time breastmilk has a higher percentage of fat than daytime milk does, so theoretically, since she's filling up at night, she may be getting more "fat" calories than she would if she ate more during the day. But, even if this is true (and who knows, I could be remembering wrong), it's still "good" fat, so I'm not too worried. Like everyone else said, it'll all even out eventually. And if all that "good" fat goes to her brain, she'll just turn out extra-smart!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:02 PM

First, if he is 90% for both height and weight, he's not fat--- he's just large. He is perfectly proportioned height and weight, he's just taller AND heavier than average.

Secondly, bfed babies follow a different growth curve than ffed babies (formula is not dynamic so weight gain tends to be linear). While ffed babies are "supposed" to double their birth weight at six months and triple it at a year, bfed babies more regularily double their birth weight earlier (4-5 months is common, but 2-3 months is not unknown, nor is much later) but don't triple until slightly after one year.

I would obviously not worry about it. Both of my children were roly poly for only a few months. Then they thinned out a lot.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
p.s

Thanks for all the reassuring replies! Guess just first time mom finding something to worry about.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:44 PM

What is with the triple the birthweight thing? I think it's dumb. My kids are over 9lbs when born, and while they usually more than double their birth weight by 5 or 6 mos (Liam is my skinniest baby so far and he's still a super chunk! 18lbs, 26 inches at 5 mos), they don't usually triple their weight until they're 2 or older! My ds2 turned 2 in September and he still hasn't quite triples his birth weight. He's probably just an ounce or 2 off, but what's the deal w/ that?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:13 PM

You ds sounds perfect! My dd was in the 90th percentile for height and weight for the first 6 months of her life. My mother swore I was overfeeding her b/c everytime she cried, I would offer her the breast. I tried and tried to telll her that you cannot overfeed a bf baby. Even my SIL who bf each of her kids for a year thought I was overfeeding my baby. My strictly ffing friend commented ALL the time about how big my dd was.

Suddenly, at 9 months, my dd "dropped" down to the 50th percentile for height and weight and has been there every since. She is still bfing at 17 months.

I have heard that bf babies gain more in the first 6 months and then level off. My friend's ff baby caught up! :

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM

My exclusively bf baby was off the charts, but not "overweight." She was the perfect weight for her.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:31 PM

Yup, DS was off the charts for both weight and height until 7 months (thinned out since because of crawling and walking) and was exclusively bf. The dr. told us that's how babies should look, like little budda's
Old 02-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Like everyone else has said, sounds to me like your ds is right on for him. Of my 3 children only one has been in the low percentile for weight and that was my FF baby. Ds and dd2 were/are in the very high 90% for weight. Ds was a buddha baby and dd2 is TALL and slender but very solid. So I would not stress about it at all!

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221
What is with the triple the birthweight thing? I think it's dumb. My kids are over 9lbs when born, and while they usually more than double their birth weight by 5 or 6 mos (Liam is my skinniest baby so far and he's still a super chunk! 18lbs, 26 inches at 5 mos), they don't usually triple their weight until they're 2 or older! My ds2 turned 2 in September and he still hasn't quite triples his birth weight. He's probably just an ounce or 2 off, but what's the deal w/ that?
Good point. In reality, the *average* baby is 7-7.5 lbs at birth and the *average* 1 year old is 21-22 lbs. So, on *average* birth weight is tripled a a year.

But averages are not individuals.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 AM

I'm glad your DC is "still within the standard of cute" and agree with pp that you don't have anything to worry about. I have chubby babies who have never had a drop of formula, and was a chubby baby myself, and we are all perfectly healthy. I think it's too bad we live in such a fat-phobic society.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:21 AM

Yeah, really. The obsession with babies' weight is one of the weirdest things I've encountered since entering the world of parenting. For what it's worth, I've seen slim formula fed babies, fat breastfed babies, fat formula babes and slim BF babes, and they are all within the standard of cute!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:33 AM

Kellymom is a great resource for information on average breastfed baby growth patterns:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...wthcharts.html
Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 AM

He sounds perfect to me!

I've never charted my kids on those graphs. I knew they were healthy - they were happy to breastfeed, they had plenty of wet nappies, they gained weight (sometimes fast sometimes slow) and they smiled.

My brother was totally breastfed - no solids or supplementing - and he flew off the graph so fast that the doctor didn't believe he was breastfed. He hit 95% by the time he was a few weeks old (he was 7lb when he was born) and by his 3 month check he'd left the graph WAY behind. He gained over a pound a week for a very long time. My mother assured the doctor he was fully breastfed and the doctor's words were "well then, he just enjoys it - let him keep enjoying it and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise". He told mum not to worry about a thing - breastmilk can't make babies unhealthy. Our society thinks fat is unhealthy, but when we're talking about the perfect food for babies, they can't over indulge.

Truly, though ... those charts were made based on bottle fed babies in the 1950s. WHY are they still relevant??????? They should be tossed in the trash.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:47 AM

Sounds like you already got a lot of good answers, but I have to add mine! My 4 month old dd weighs 18lbs! She was actually off the charts at the last doctor's visit. My il's think I'm overfeeding her-even though she's EBF, but my doc says she's perfect (which, of course, I already know!) My doc says that babies should be fat! My chunky monkey has the fattest legs and I just love em! So, basically I agree with those who said your baby's just fine, keep feeding her!

-chelsea dust.gif
Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 PM

MY dd is off the charts literally. She is 24 lbs at 6 months. BF is a beautiful thing because there is no concerns with overeating. We are even in XL diapers right now. So relax and keep those on demand feedings going.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I just wanted to join in the chorus of folks saying "don't worry!" Your chunky monkey is just fine. My own (breastfed) kids are always little chubbies. My older son was 20lbs at 5 mos, & my 2.5 month old is 16.5lbs. He's very rolly & his double chin is hilarious. I think it's just what's in our genes. Your dd's genes are telling her to be a little tubster!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 AM

When my older kids were babies and were EBF and got huge, I expressed some concern. My doctor - an older guy who had been around for quite some years - told me that his patients that were "big" and BF never had weight issues. He said he never worried about BF babies weighing too much at such young ages. Keep doing what you're doing.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 02-20-2006, 01:06 AM

My ds was 26 lbs. 10 oz. at nine months. A total chunky-monkey. But he has been thinning out since then. At 15 months he was 27 lbs. 8 oz. so he had slowed substantially. Just love the baby rolls!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:17 AM

I'd just like to add yet another set of experiences to this list! All of my three were EBF and the first two were 18 lbs at a year (weighing 5 lbs 13 oz and 8lbs 3 oz respectively at birth) and this last one is a chunky monkey (weighed 8lbs 7oz at birth) and is nine months and already weighs 20lbs. I haven't changed one thing and I nursed on demand and constantly with all of them. It just depends on the baby and their metabolism and size. Sounds like your little one is doing just fine!

As for me, I'm enjoying the baby rolls, chubby cheeks and dimpled skin for the first time w/#3!

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM

But you say that he takes EBM in a bottle during the day, and that he is not taking as much as you would think....is he in daycare? If so, is it possible that they are feeding him something else? My neice was in daycare for a while and there were explicit direction of NO SOLIDS until my SIL directed them to do so. But then one day she questioned a helper about what her daughter had to eat, and cereal was mentioned!

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 PM

The fat cells aquired from breastmilk don't stayafter weaning. Babies can't overeat on breastmilk.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:29 AM

sounds good to me!!! (and cute.....I loved squeezing those cute little legs on mine)

both of mine were major chunkomatics. My first was 9lbs 11 oz at birth, and 30 lbs at one year. Always at the top of or off the charts for height and weight, now around 90th percentile at 5 years.

nothing wrong with it.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 AM

The curve is different with breastfed babies.
The normal healthy breastfed baby is chunkiest at about 6 months, and then tapers off on weight gain.
THey gain lots of weight really quickly (which is protective to a little baby's health and prepares for rapid growth later) and then slow down to a crawl between 6 and 12 months.
A 6 month old chubby breastfed baby is NOT overweight. This same baby will likely think out a great deal in the next 6 months.

User Tag List