Foremilk/Hindmilk Imbalance vs Milk Protein Intolerance? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello mamas! I need some help...My 2 week old lil' girl is having some feeding issues. She's quite gassy and fussy most of her waking time, spits up often, and has started having foamy, green, loose stools (as of a 3 or 4 days ago). I've done lots of online research and have come up with 2 possible problems: I either have an overabundant milk supply (and she's not getting enough hindmilk) or she's having trouble with something I'm eating, most likely dairy (as I eat a lot of dairy). Have any of you had a similar problem? Any advice on solutions?

Thus far, I'm limiting her feedings to one breast for a 3-4 hour period, hoping she'll get enough hindmilk that way (if that is the problem). I'm also slowly phasing out dairy. I'd quit it altogether, but we have some expensive cheese still left in the house that I don't really want to throw out. We're also still working on perfecting her latch. She's got a small mouth and I've got rather large nipples, so she doesn't always latch perfectly. But we're getting better...

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated!
#2 of 2 Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Sounds like my youngest dd. She had a milk protein intolerance and would react that same way (gotta love that projectile vomiting!) if I had any dairy at all. Being a self-professed cheese and milk freak myself, this was a difficult food group to cut out! It did make all the difference with her though. The few times I had dairy products without thinking (umm, ice cream, anyone?) she reacted rather quickly.

Be careful to balance your diet so you are not going to end up with a nutritional deficit yourself as a result. Find other ways to get your calcium and the proteins (much easier) without upsetting little one's symptoms.

It isn't too hard, though. A little patience and a some trial and error will get you through it!

Any other ideas, Mamas out there?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page