How much does a 10 month old eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 10 month old dd still wakes at least two or three times per night to eat. My ds started sleeping for 6 or 7 hours straight when he was 7 or 8 months old. Our pediatrician says that dd should be "physically" able to sleep for 8 or more hours without waking to eat.

So I am wondering if perhaps she just isn't getting enough to eat throughout the day. Not counting the times she wakes up to eat at night, throughout a typical day, she nurses 5 or 6 times, about 10-15 minutes each time. She is too nosey to nurse longer these days. I try to feed her three small meals a day, whenever we are already eating. Breakfast is usually 1/3 to 1/2 cup of oatmeal (not baby cereal) and two or three bites of banana. Lunch is usually a green veggie like steamed spinach, broccoli, cooked green beans, etc about 1/4 C and avocado or apple sauce. Dinner is usually part of a baked sweet potato and whatever is left from lunch. Occasionally I give her some plain streamed whole grain brown or white rice. She has 6 teeth and can pretty much chew anything I would consider putting in there. Sometimes we give her some fruit for a snack near bedtime. I am afraid of feeding her too much and affecting my milk supply, as I hope to nurse her at least until 15 months, hopefully longer.

How much solid food should a 10 month old eat? Will it help with night waking if I feed her more?
#2 of 4 Old 03-16-2006, 01:38 AM

I'm sorry you're not getting more sleep at night. My dd was a frequent night nurser at that age too and I kept wishing and searching for the magic sleep answer. Besides just being a frequent night nurser....10 mo old babes might wake to nurse frequently because of growth spurts or teething or needing the comfort of mom.

Sometimes giving solids right before bed can disrupt sleep because it is harder to digest than breastmilk...it can cause tummy upsets or gas. I would make sure she has a nice full tummy of breastmilk before bed to make sure she sleeps as long as possible.

If she is eating well and enjoying solids I would say you are doing great. I wouldn't worry about amount at that age...it really is still very young. Breastmilk should be the bulk of her calories up until age 1 at least. Other food just isn't complete enough to take too much space away from your milk.

Well that's my experience and my opinions...I hope something in there helps.
#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2006, 06:33 AM

My just turned 9 month old JUST started sleeping COMPLETELY through the night. She eats right about the same as your 10m/o, and just started going all night when we started feeding her (real) oatmeal in the morning and a small amount of protein at night. I'm not sure if there's a correlation there, but they happened at almost the exact same time.

I'm thinking that the sugars in the fruit before bedtime may be doing something? I am no expert though. I feed DD until she doesn't want any more and it hasn't affected my supply at all.

My other thought would be that this falls under the 'every child is different' flag.

Hope someone else has a solution for you!
#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Honestly I think it's temperment and when they start to cut back on/give up night feedings depends mostly on the individual child. DS (my first) nursed frequently throughout the day, was "OK" with solids and was nursing 2 times at night at a year (3 shortly before that.) I was told left and right that he didn't need to nurse at night, yada yada, but I decided that he would drop the feedings when he was developmentally ready. Shortly after a year, he stopped the night nursing sessions. DD (my second) started sleeping 8 plus hour stretches at three weeks. She has rarely woken up at night to nurse unless she's teething or something. She nurses about every 3 hours or so during the day and eats tons of solids (grunts and signs for "more" as soon as she finishes stuffing what's on her try into her mouth... ) *BUT* she didn't start solids until 6 months (EBF'd) and was sleeping well long before that.

She was a pretty big baby at birth (8.12 v. DS at 7.9), but beyond that...who knows? I really think it's "luck of the draw" and not something you could or should do differently. Sounds like you're fine with the solids, maybe you could try switching the avacado to night for more saeity if you want...

DD (at that age) was having some fruit and half a ripped up whole grain waffle at breakfast, some veggies cooked in soup and maybe part of her brother's grilled cheese, ripped up in tiny bits, occasionally an afternoon snack (ie when I needed to keep her busy and contained while I start dinner), like some freeze-dried corn bits or some banana, and a bit of whatever we have for dinner.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page