Rotavirus and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS woke up this morning throwing up and it is definitely rotavirus (our babysitter's daughter was in the ER and diagnosed with it 2 days ago.) I put a call into our ped but haven't heard back yet, but in the meantime I'm getting conflicting advice. I would think that continuing to breastfeed him would be the best, because if he can keep anything down it would be breastmilk, right? But I've also been told that breastmilk should be avoided, that I should just give him Pedialyte, etc. Any experience here, mamas?

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#2 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM

breastmilk is more effective than pedialyte and babies who are breastfed are less likely to be hospitalized for rotavirus. it's not only a good idea to keep bf'ing, it's the most important thing you can do right now. even if your dr says to give pedialyte, don't, give breastmilk. my mom is a ped and she advised me to give it before, I looked at her and said "breastmilk works better" and she got a glazed look on her face and then said "yeah you're right." they're just so used to giving it to FF babies that they don't realize bf babies don't need it. breastmilk has everything pedialyte has plus antibodies and more. good luck!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#3 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Breastmilk is natures pedialyte and even little sips here and there will keep your little one out of the E.R. Nurse as often as he is willing. Many peds. don't realize that breastmilk isn't like cows milk and won't upset the digestive system when the child has a stomach virus. GOod Luck!
#4 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 03:01 PM

To reinforce what the PP's have already said:
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...html#Pedialyte
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne....html#vomiting

I hope your baby is feeling better soon!
#5 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 04:20 PM

To reinforce: nurse nurse nurse!

My DD had rotavirus a year ago, and ended up hospitalized. The only thing she kept down even part of the time was breastmilk. In addition, it provided so much comfort for both of us while she was in the hospital. She did have to have IV fluids, but the doctors and nurses were really supportive of breastfeeding (and co-sleeping, even!), which helped immensely.

Hang in there!

Mama to DD : (7/23/03) & DS : (10/27/06) married to DH 7/20/01
and yet 90% more mainstream than the rest of MDC
#6 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses. The ped did ask that I restrict breastfeeding and attempt sips of Pedialyte. I think they automatically lump breastmilk into dairy = bad. I'm so glad to have gotten the informed responses here so I don't deprive him of what will help him the best!

Trish, thanks for the links, I've saved them for reference in case anyone else ever needs the same info.

#7 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My 18 month old DS had rotavirus last week and I bought some Pedialyte because I wasn't sure how my milk supply was doing (I'm 22 weeks pregnant). DS wouldn't touch the stuff - in fact, he thought it was so bad that he wouldn't even drink out of the same sippy cup that had the Pedialyte in it for almost a week. The only thing he would do was nurse and it carried him through the virus just fine. In fact, at the end of the week when he was getting better his poops were back to exclusively breastfed baby poops.

I hope your DS feels better soon!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 18 Old 03-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Pedialyte is an imitation of breastmilk. I would NOT restrict breastmilk and you don't need pedialyte unless they won't nurse.

Hope your babe feels better soon.

-Angela
#9 of 18 Old 03-18-2006, 01:20 PM

Like everyone else has said....nurse, nurse, nurse. Emmaline was not yet 2 when she got it and it was so nice to be nursing because she could actually keep a little down, and it was comforting to boot.

Jennifer
#10 of 18 Old 03-18-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the responses. He threw up so much yesterday I was worried I might have to take him to the hospital, and honestly it was pretty obvious to me that had I not allowed him to breastfeed we would have needed an IV for rehydration. I tried Pedialyte on him a few times (little spoonfuls) because I have supply issues (and while we do fine normally, I didn't know how well my milk supply would hold up to all the nursing/throwing up/wanting to nurse again) and it came back up almost immediately every time. At least with the breastmilk I know he is retaining some, because he urinates a little while after a nursing session.

#11 of 18 Old 03-18-2006, 03:56 PM

Rotavirus is a really serious disease and is often deadly in non-industrialized nations. Just saying that to remind you to be CAREFUL and not hesitate for a second to get your little one hospitalized if fluids stop going in/coming out. When my daughter had rotavirus at 2 yrs old, it was so bad that not only could she not nurse/drink any fluids/eat anything, her bladder also stopped working. She was hospitalized with an IV AND a catheter, and it saved her life. I thank God for the medical care we have in this country when we need it. Just watch his fluid intake AND output, and nurse nurse nurse as much as you can. But be really careful because it is such a potentially dangerous disease. It just plain sucks. HUGS to you!
#12 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

After being in either dialysis or long term health care for most of my working life, it is second nature for me to monitor intake/output even on a normal basis.

He's actually doing much better, yesterday he only threw up once and had three bouts of loose stool, today so far he's only had one loose stool and has been acting more "himself". The fever is gone as well. Yay!

#13 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 12:30 PM

I'm very happy to hear he is feeling better. None of my kids have had rotavirus yet but I worry about it a lot.
#14 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 01:21 PM

Well don't worry about it too much, because I have four kids and only one of them ever got it. I mean, yeh the other ones still could, but what are the odds? It is not the sort of virus that lurks around every corner or anything. It's out there, but not as common as a cold or anything! Hugs to OP and I'm glad your son is on the mend!!
#15 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 02:40 PM

My son got the rotavirus when he was about 18 months old, a few weeks after getting over the chickenpox. It was the scariest thing I had ever experienced! He was vomiting all day, laying listlessly on the floor, etc. I just let him breastfeed and gave him frozen white grape juice and water cubes. If I had had frozen breastmilk, I would have given him that to suck on. Just when I was seriously considering taking him to the hospital he made a recovery. It was very scary, but I am so glad he was still nursing.

Blessed mama of four
::
#16 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm glad to hear your DS is starting to feel better!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#17 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 PM

How are you and baby doing now?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#18 of 18 Old 03-19-2006, 06:35 PM

So glad to hear your son was on the mend. My DD had roto at 12 months. We'd been ECing for 2 months, so when the diarhea started pouring out she FREAKED! That was worse for me to see that the barfs. She was sick for 8 days... SO nerve racking!!!

Good for you checking with the MDC wise ladies before trusting the suggestion to hold back on BFing! Breastmilk IS BEST... why do Docs even try to second guess the perfect food??? argh *sigh*

hope to hear he's ALL well soon.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page