Fatigue with EBF - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-17-2003, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so tired- not just tired but physically shaky. Has anyone else encountered this? I had it with my daughter until I cut back feedings when she was two to about three or four a day and three at night. It is a bone-tired feeling and fuzzy-headed. Just dragging and have so much to do!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#2 of 8 Old 02-18-2003, 12:45 AM

I had a similar situation when I was not eating enough protein and nursing.
A steak helped me!
K
#3 of 8 Old 02-18-2003, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'd try that, but I'm a vegetarian (Have never liked meat, even as a kid- which is probably contributing to my problem). It seems I am so tired that eating in general is a chore and nothing sounds very good. After I make dinner and feed the kids, I am too tired to eat the dinner.

All of the stuff I believe in and am doing- washing cloth diapers, nursing, cooking natural foods, home with the kids-- it is all feeling like a big exhausting chore lately. I don't want to burn out!!!

#4 of 8 Old 02-18-2003, 05:23 PM

Ya gotta eat! Rather than cutting back on nursing and not eating well yourself, which is depriving 2 family members of proper nutrition, perhaps, eat well yourself and keep nursing your young one?

Maybe you're anemic? Are you depressed? That can cause low appetite?
#5 of 8 Old 02-18-2003, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

I am anemic- haven't been taking my iron or vits. Or paying attention to myself much.

I guess this has been a wake-up call to pay attention to my health before it gets worse. Thanks- I want to do the best for my kids and I guess taking care of myself is part of that. It is hard to take that step when everyone is needing me. I should be eating right now...

#6 of 8 Old 02-19-2003, 02:38 AM

Rabbity--

It is such hard work being the type of mom you are (cooking natural food, using cloth diapers, being a SAHM)! I'm one of those too and now I can see that moms who take lots of "short cuts" (like using lots of convenience foods or disposable dipes) have it much easier. Sometimes I feel like I'm a glutton for punishment!

My health took a nosedive post-partum and I am still working on recovery. My 28 mo DD is a nurse-a-holic and can dehydrate me easily so I have to really be mindful in caring for myself physically and emotionally.

I can easily neglect myself b/c I was taught to be quite a caregiver at a very young age. But with a DD in my life now, I keep reminding myself how much she needs a healthy mom and how I wouldn't do her much good in the hospital. Also, I'm 41 and I really, really want to see her grow up and fulfill her dreams!

Good health to you! You're a good mom; be good to yourself too!
#7 of 8 Old 02-19-2003, 05:32 AM

Your anemia is probably the problem.

I was like that too. I changed my diet because I hate taking pills, but if it is too tough for you to change your diet then supplementing may be worthwhile.

Remember that you need to be eating a lot right now, more so than when you were pregnant :-). Wonderful excuse to make dp cook :-)

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#8 of 8 Old 02-19-2003, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you NaturalMama and Nicole. I really appreciate it. I sometimes long for the short cuts, but I wouldn't feel good doing it. I do feel like a glutton for punishment- my sister keeps telling me to stop washing diapers and use disposables. I wish you good health. I was trained to be a caretaker, too.

I do need to change my diet, Nichole. Even without eating meat- I can do better. Unfortunately, dh only cooks spagetti and tacos!
I've started taking my iron-- I want to be here for my kids. I don't like pills either- that's why I stopped taking them in the first place.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page