Please help!!! Broken arm.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I broke my right arm. A bad break, the top of the arm, not the bottom. Typing left handed, not my good hand.

ER folks kept insisting I had to go to formula - my baby has never had a bottle of EBM, let alone formula!! On pain meds. Should I stop taking them and just bear it? It is absolutely excruciating, even with the meds. I have been nursing, but don't know how bad for baby (vicodan).

Furthermore I have no use of right arm at all, even as a prop, it can't be moved at all, every jostle is worse than my worst labor pains - need DF to position baby for me for nursing. What am I going to do when he goes back to work??????? ER docs acted like they couldn't have cared less....

Please help me, I am so overwhelmed. Anyone experience this? What about the meds?? I just don't know what to do.
#2 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 02:11 PM

I don't know about the meds, but do you have a nursing pillow? That could help you nudge the baby into place.

And what do ER doctor's know about breastfeeding?!?!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 PM

Vicodin is an L3 lactation rish, moderately safe. It is in the same class as loratab, which I have taken while nursing.

How long will your df be able to help you? I would second the idea of a nursing pillow when nursing on the right and the football hold when nursing on the left.

Hope you heal quickly.
#4 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM

Oh Hunny!

How frustrating! I wish I had some good advice besides doing the best you can with pillows. I don't remember the age of your baby, but maybe side-laying would work for one side and pumping the other?

I do have experience with ER docs and to be really honest, every single male ER doc I knew gave crap to the three ER nurses that bf. Not in a cruel way, more of a joking about it. They were nice doctors otherwise, just thought it was a waste of time (guess that's why they're ER docs).

Maybe call a LLL gal or see if you can get some people that you feel comfortable with to come and help you throughout the day with feeding.

MAN, that's gotta be hard!

Jen

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)
#5 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 02:22 PM

I have a friend who had a broken collarbone when her baby was born, and was unable to use her arm for the first month or so. I'm sure she was on pain meds, and she had some kind of brace from her orthopedist (?) to prevent her from jostling the arm and hurting herself. She did have a lot of help in the house, but she might know some tips for working around it. I'll PM you.
#6 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Can I be nosy and ask how your arm got broken? I cry when I break my little toe!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#7 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help so far. I can't do the side-lying nursing thing, as I can't lie down. :-( I can only semi-recline in the recliner. Any and all other tips would be great, including any thoughts on how to minimize the risk of the meds and nursing.

As to how I broke it, I fell down our stairs carrying the baby in my left arm. I slipped and in trying to twist and brace so that baby wouldn't hit her head, I slammed my upper arm into our window ledge and fell full on it while twisting. Baby was thankfully fine, but wow, what a price I paid for being a klutz.
#8 of 8 Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 PM

oh, how awful. I'm so sorry you're in pain, and so sorry it's so hard to bf.

Sounds like it's time to bring in the army of friends. Call LLL and get volunteers if this isn't feasible. I don't know how old your dc is, but what about this for a young baby: a nursing pillow like the My Brest Friend clips in place, so you only have to worry about moving the baby into place (and if you have to, you can walk around the house with the pillow attached to you). Then have a rolled up receiving blanket (maybe taped into a sausage with masking tape, to make sure you don't have to fiddle with it), and wedge it behind dc while s/he's nursing. that will make you hand's free, which means you'll have a hand for adjusting breast, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page