Eeks, my supply is messed up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-19-2003, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Each time I've pumped today I've only gotten 2-3 oz. Normally I get 3-6 oz.!
What's up with that? DS has been teething lately so he's not nursing as much as he was, but I'm still pumping pretty much the same number of times each day. I usually pump 3 times, but some days I get too busy and can only pump 2 times. I've always done this though with no problems.
DS is now 6 months old. Is it common to have a change in supply at this time? SHouldn't my supply be getting larger though as DS grows?
At night, when we nurse, he's been only taking from one side at a time (doesn't have one side he prefers over the other, just seems to want to stop when it's time to switch sides.) He just pops off and sits up. If I try to re-latch him he gets mad and I can clearly tell he doesn't want to nurse that side.
I have a feeling this is the reason the supply is down now. Is it common for the supply to go down during teething, does it recover by itself or do you have to pump more to make up for it?

Marcy
#2 of 4 Old 02-21-2003, 03:12 AM

Don't worry too much. If DS has a sore mouth, it may be too hard to suck. He may go on a bit of a nursing strike. When the teeth cut, he'll be back in action. As he damands more, your body will definately make up for it. You shouldn't have to pump unless you want to. Milk is a demand/supply system. If he's not demanding, it's natural for your body to slow production. When he's back to demanding more, your body will make more. You may want to try nursing him when he's sleeping. These dream feeds were really beneficial for me when DD was teething her first 8 teeth.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2003, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I notice that middle-of-the-night feedings go really well. Thanks for the advice, I feel better about the supply thing now.

Marcy
#4 of 4 Old 02-21-2003, 02:17 PM

There is a growth-spurt around 6 months which could explain the slowdown in pumping. I also noticed that my supply further regulated itself so I didn't overproduce as I had been while pumping. But remember, that the amount you can pump in now way represents your actual milk supply. Your baby will do that much more efficiently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page