No fever but breast still plugged - mastitis or something else? Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-19-2003, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have what I think might be mastitis in my right breast. I got some good info here last night, but am not seeing any improvement. DD tries to nurse on that side, but isn't getting much if any ,milk.

I have a huge lump, the size of a tennis ball. Hard, smooth, not hot, a little red.

It really hurts to massage it, but i did in the shower earlier and was applying hot compresses, and nursing. DD is into biting if nursing isn't her idea these days...(almost 12 mos)

I took some raw apple cider vinegar, earlier, about 2 ounces. Its horrible:-(

What else can I do? Should I go to the Dr? Am I risking anything thrying to take care of it myself? I really don't want to end up needing an antibiotic...help!
#2 of 4 Old 02-20-2003, 01:52 PM

Whenever a baby suddenly shortens or skips feeds, this can happen. Go to the dr for an antibiotic. That is an enormous plug. Probably not just a duct, but a whole area of alveoli (milk producing cells, they look like bunches of grapes). Rent a Medela automatic pump , take a hot shower before you try to pump. This should open the ducts. Massage as firmly as you can stand while pumping. Keep applying warm wet wahscloths too.

After a nursing or pumping session, apply cold compresses. a bag of frozen peas works well. This can take down inflammation. try the homeopathic remedy belladonna?
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2003, 02:59 AM

great advice Darllll.
Another comforting thing is a rice sock. Take any clean cotton sock, fill with some rice, tie off the end. Pop in the microwave for 2 monutes or so(time varies with each nuker) and place the warm sock on your breast. It's moist heat, feels good. Massage like mad! Try the vinegar in a tea or diluted out. You can even put some on a salad as a dressing or soak some veggies in it.
Good luck with this one. Please let us know how you do. HOw horrible to have such a clog/problem. Tennis Ball!!!!OUCH!

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#4 of 4 Old 02-21-2003, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'm happy to report the plug has resolved itself without needing to see a dr:-)

I took a total of four ounces of raw vinegar over two days, used hot compresses before nursing, and pumped twice. I also massaged it in the shower once (wish I got more showers - lol!!!) and drank about 40 ounces of water.

It began to clear late on the night I originally posted. I would nurse on that side until she got tired of not getting any milk, poor baby, then switch. I felt it starting to let down a few minutes later, so switched breasts again, and the milk began to flow!

by the next night, all was back to normal. What a scare though! I only had one small clog in the beginning, and thought those worries were over at almost a year into bf'ing...I am sure that I was getting dehydrated. It has been SO cold around here lately and the furnace is running constantly drying everything out...& I didn't drink as much as ususal the day before.

Anyway, I am back to normal, and making sure I'm getting enough fluids - mostly water.

Speaking of water, dd, almost a year old, drank some from a plastic cup as I held it for her last night:-) What fun!

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!!

Tracy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page